European firearms pass

Hi everyone just looking for some additional information on the subject headed ,i recently applied and received my European firearms pass with my chosen shotgun printed on ,

now the question is as I’m transporting the gun in my car to the ferry then on to and through Spain do I have to do anything else other then declare it at customs at ferry ports ? 

The reason for asking is because I was meet by what I’d consider an unhelpful person at FAC licensing dept on phone just to point out my FAO is spot on just impossible to get hold of ?

I don't know if it's the same as the ferries here but, your supposed to declare guns and ammintion at the port, they can then decide what to do with them, separate safe storage or crew hold your keys. I think every ferry company has their own rules, so best checking direct. They can refuse travel here if undeclared, but I never have, and how would they know if you don't declare? 

• Thanks 1

To be honest there was some extra paperwork that was required some years ago but that may well have changed so the best place to contact is the CPSA who have members travelling all over the world representing England as well as private competition entrants so would be able to advise.  I will be going to Highlodge in Suffolk the week after next for a days shooting and could ask John Bidwell, the owner, who is 8 times world champion at sporting and shot all over the world so if you have not been able to establish the correct method, I will find out for you.

Phil

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Gav said:

I don't know if it's the same as the ferries here but, your supposed to declare guns and ammintion at the port, they can then decide what to do with them, separate safe storage or crew hold your keys. I think every ferry company has their own rules, so best checking direct. They can refuse travel here if undeclared, but I never have, and how would they know if you don't declare? 

Thanks mate I think I will contact the ferry company just to clarify and that way I know what to expect from them ,where the gun goes on ferry or if it simply stays in the vehicle as once on board the car decks are completely unaccesable 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, philpot said:

To be honest there was some extra paperwork that was required some years ago but that may well have changed so the best place to contact is the CPSA who have members travelling all over the world representing England as well as private competition entrants so would be able to advise.  I will be going to Highlodge in Suffolk the week after next for a days shooting and could ask John Bidwell, the owner, who is 8 times world champion at sporting and shot all over the world so if you have not been able to establish the correct method, I will find out for you.

Phil

Thanks Phil would very much appreciate the input if you could ask as the more information I get on this the better as it’s  1st time I’ve taken firearms to Spain 

not till Christmas We go all being well with the virus situation, 

Because of Brexit I didn't put in for a EFP on this application.   Didn't think that it had any purpose but the department rang me up a d asked why I hadn't applied.   I replied that I didn't think that there was  much point with the Brexit situation but they said that they were still issuing the certs out so they would issue me with one.! It wasn't going to cost me aything but I  still cant see the point now.

1 hour ago, Meece said:

Because of Brexit I didn't put in for a EFP on this application.   Didn't think that it had any purpose but the department rang me up a d asked why I hadn't applied.   I replied that I didn't think that there was  much point with the Brexit situation but they said that they were still issuing the certs out so they would issue me with one.! It wasn't going to cost me aything but I  still cant see the point now.

Get it mate, Spain runs on bits of paper with stamps on ...The Guardia and police can be sticklers for it , work on it’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it ...?

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, sussex said:

Get it mate, Spain runs on bits of paper with stamps on ...The Guardia and police can be sticklers for it , work on it’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it ...?

One of the son in laws has a place down in the middle of France and they hunt wild boar ect there so the intention was to go down but by the time that happens we will be well out of the EU. SO I can't really see the point of it.  Son in law says that on certain days everyone turns out en masse to shoot and shoot at everything that  moves !!!  So it is better to stay inside and lock the doors.!!!  I don't know if anything will replace it but if it was all banned we could borrow a shotgun from one of his farming neighbours down there.  Maybe. 

11 hours ago, Meece said:

I did wonder what the outcome would be after Brexit ,all I can say is mine expires along with my SGC and that’s way pass our apparent departure from the EU 

cost me nothing other then a couple of phone calls one was straight forward and the other a complete €¥#! Talking at me with his great importance ?completely unnecessary 

10 hours ago, sussex said:

100% Spain is huge in beurocracy they love it my wife is Spanish and I’m a divorced Protestant ??? so we legally got married in Uk but big ceremony in Spain far to many hoops to jump through 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Meece said:

One of the son in laws has a place down in the middle of France and they hunt wild boar ect there so the intention was to go down but by the time that happens we will be well out of the EU. SO I can't really see the point of it.  Son in law says that on certain days everyone turns out en masse to shoot and shoot at everything that  moves !!!  So it is better to stay inside and lock the doors.!!!  I don't know if anything will replace it but if it was all banned we could borrow a shotgun from one of his farming neighbours down there.  Maybe. 

Something will replace it I’m sure ,I have the option of borrowing a gun but nothing like using your own 

23 hours ago, Gav said:

Be careful here, - wouldn't allowing the ferry company crew to hold your keys be a breach of your licensing obligations for safe keeping which clearly state you and you alone are the only person allowed access to the keys? Might not be an issue once in international waters but at the port and on the way out, you're still on British soil and so potentially breaching your safekeeping obligations. Same with handing your gun over for storage in their safe. You're giving the crew custody and access to your firearm. I'm guessing there are several potential breaches there - safekeeping plus transferring your firearm into the possession of someone unlicensed. Maybe there are legal exceptions for ferry transport written into the guidelines (check them) or maritime law. However, I'd take advice as giving anyone access to or possession of your firearm is fraught with danger from a legal perspective especially if they are unlicensed. I would guess if they were a licensed person you could probably loan your firearm to them for the duration of the journey which would probably put safekeeping obligations onto them. However, just be careful whatever you do, that you are staying legal.This sounds like a potential minefield between what the ferry company require and what you can legally do.

• Thanks 1

I had a chat with a friend who shoots abroad most years although he has not been this year and as meece says the EFP mau not be needed but for the sake of this response, I will quote you the text he sent me.

1)  You need an EFP which is free of charge from your local police but they can take some time.

2)  Need to inform the airline / ferry operator in case they have a policy to lock away the firearms in a seperate area. Easyjet charge an extra £60 for this service.

3)  The gun must be in a secure firearms case that is lockable and a seperate one for any ammunition you are taking with you.

4)  It was suggested that a call to the Spanish embassy to establish their latest requirements, as said they love paperwork and with brexit, it is well worth checking.

I think the main point in advice from my friend is that you should not take anything for granted and with covid and brexit, there may be new rules and regs put into place that may not be obvious to us.

Hope that helps

Phil

• Thanks 1

(b) Additionally, Passengers and other Owners are advised that fi rearms (which, of these Conditions) will require to have a licence exhibited in respect of them to the master of a Vessel and will also require to be deposited with the master of a Vessel at the commencement of a voyage, such fi rearms to be returned at the end of such voyage to the relevant Passenger or other Owner. The Company will not ship unlicensed fi rearms.

• Thanks 1

They class ammo/powder as explosive so want access to your car keys that's carrying it in case of fire or keep it in their safe aboard. I never tell them anything anyways so never been through the procedure, but then again I'm not going outside the UK and know a lot of the crew and staff.