Government scheme for adult learning

29 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Just lost my job today, bit gutted built up a nice little business, but it’s now been moved to China. Because they work for penny’s, 58 years old and unemployed, will have something else up and running by next year but like you say have never found a job I really loved, it’s just a means to an end, work to live not live to work ?

Sorry to hear that, mate. I get the impression that you are a resourceful guy though so I expect it'll not knock you back too much. All the best.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hoping to be moving soon and have already got myself a little doer upper boat that I will be renovating through the winter ready to sell in spring /summer, as long as all goes well should make decent

Maybe it’s me being an old fogey but the the last 20 odd years everything got too “professional”.......it was all bits of paper and method statements and young clever c**ts with no idea of a mans word

I've never really known what 'the dream' is, still don't. But if I was to start over, and with hindsight, I think ten years in the forces and then train as a PH in Africa would probably suit me.

Posted Images

I was in retail management for 10yrs - it was a decent number when I started but, in the last couple of years management changed to favouring the brown nosers over those of us that got results - f**k that.

I've been on the railway for a short while now and, I'm really enjoying it - I'm out in the fresh air all the time without anyone looking over my shoulder :thumbs:

An ideal job would be something to do with space exploration  - maybe asteroids or Mars.

.......... it's a shame that I'm too thick for that kind of job :pardon:

1 minute ago, Born Hunter said:

Sorry to hear that, mate. I get the impression that you are a resourceful guy though so I expect it'll not knock you back too much. All the best.

Hoping to be moving soon and have already got myself a little doer upper boat that I will be renovating through the winter ready to sell in spring /summer, as long as all goes well should make decent money on it so will buy  another at the end of the summer and renovate through the winter, more interested in trying to earn 6 to 12 months money in one hit rather than chasing as when your working all day every day you are to busy to earn the big money, so a more leisurely approach with bigger rewards is what I,m looking for, buying up camper vans in winter is another good little earner I,ve dabbled with so recon will be getting one or two of them as well nearer to Christmas when the prices are on there arse and get them all up and ready to sell in summer, exciting times ahead ???

• Like 7
3 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

I was in retail management for 10yrs - it was a decent number when I started but, in the last couple of years management changed to favouring the brown nosers over those of us that got results - f**k that.

I've been on the railway for a short while now and, I'm really enjoying it - I'm out in the fresh air all the time without anyone looking over my shoulder :thumbs:

An ideal job would be something to do with space exploration  - maybe asteroids or Mars.

My boss did the power management calculations for the Beagle 2 mars mission. He reckons he gave it a 50% chance of success at the time, his little claim to fame. :laugh:

Not exactly Space Force commando in the bug wars though....

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

I have some quite strong contacts in the water board if my schemes are not enough wouldn’t mind getting on the land drainage quite fancy sitting in a Hymack clearing the waterways all on my own in the middle of no were could get to put up my cameras at the same time while being payed 

• Like 2

Anyone on here do haulage? Quite interested in maybe getting a job driving across the UK and Europe.... Mrs is on to me to get into the pub trade with her.....only thing is I can't stand f***ing piss heads?

Seen a job advising for a professional spliff roller..... Something like that would do me?

3 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Anyone on here do haulage? Quite interested in maybe getting a job driving across the UK and Europe.... Mrs is on to me to get into the pub trade with her.....only thing is I can't stand f***ing piss heads?

Seen a job advising for a professional spliff roller..... Something like that would do me?

My mate lived in a lorry for 11 years doing that but it’s not all it’s cracked up to be as soon as he got across the channel he used to stick a big magnet on the gear box to knock the tacho out and it was non stop driving until he got back, get a coach ticket if you want to see a bit of Europe had a mate done that for years would fill two suitcases with fags on every trip and chuck them in the boot with no name tags on, if they got spotted at customs he new nothing about them but if they were still there after the last passenger left he was quids in, made a tidy sum over the years and never got gripped or had many cases intercepted ?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

There was a job advertised recently here for someone to remove grow rooms for Avon and Somerset police sadly I was deemed unsuitable??but thought you would be getting strong money off plod for doing it and strong money weighing it in, think I was getting about a quid a kilo last time I weighed a load of them lighting ballasts in, cleared a load of immigrants out of one of them hand car washes in an old bus depot, they had all the electrics rigged and all the gear for growing, think I made about £600 from all the armour cable and  the kit, took about 4hrs on a Saturday morning with me and my 2 lads ?

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Pub trade is f****d mate, has been for years.

The only money in pubs is if you have a decent eatery with it serving very decent grub.

My brothers had pubs in the good old days, made a fortune and then got out.....it’s no life for the kids either ? 

• Like 2

IF id been born with brains instead of brawn and IF i wasnt money orientated and IF i could of hacked a 9 to 5 lifestyle......id quite like to have got into the aviation industry,preferably something to do with crash investigation..... ive been down to the Air Accidents Investigation Branch of the Department for Transport a few times with a young lad i know in that game just for a mooch about it absolutely fascinates me i could of really got my nut into all that.....still such is life its all if's but's and maybe's.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

IF id been born with brains instead of brawn and IF i wasnt money orientated and IF i could of hacked a 9 to 5 lifestyle......id quite like to have got into the aviation industry,preferably something to do with crash investigation..... ive been down to the Air Accidents Investigation Branch of the Department for Transport a few times with a young lad i know in that game just for a mooch about it absolutely fascinates me i could of really got my nut into all that.....still such is life its all if's but's and maybe's.

I worked in a house some years back and the bloke there was an aircraft engineer of some sort, always remember him saying to me I never get to see a plane that has not got faults and if people saw what I see they would never fly ? think time is money and they only bring them in to be fixed when it’s really necessary ? 

Maybe it’s me being an old fogey but the the last 20 odd years everything got too “professional”.......it was all bits of paper and method statements and young clever c**ts with no idea of a mans word and all that.

Life was so much simpler when you opened your mouth and stood on, spread the bit of dough around and everyone was happy.

Now it’s all quotes, interviews, presentations, pricing schedules, everyone under cutting everyone else, chains of command, can’t get a chunk of readies out the bank without them calling in Sherlock Holmes blah blah blah......I detest it if I’m honest and have done since I saw it all going that way, least in my job anyway.

My advice would be to REALLY consider what you want and what make you smile every day because as it stands it’s all so bland that you may be jumping out the frying pan and into the fire so to speak. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2