Tikka magazine problem

I am on a reloading journey of discovery. My latest quest was to find the optimum seating length for my chosen bullets in my .243 and .223 reloads . I took my rifles and some neck sized cartridges and boxes of new bullets to Steve Bowers to do the measurement from the lands . He did the measurements and gave me two dummy bullets which I can use as a maximum length. He said that the most accurate distance is 10 -15 thousands of an inch back from the lands . He also said just check that they will fit in the magazine. I did and the .243 is fine but the .223 50 grain vmax sticks out too far . I know that the bullets have to go back  , but that is ridiculous. Anyone else come across this ?

C67EF541-3A19-470C-BF8E-E9EF632FB698.jpeg

2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I am on a reloading journey of discovery. My latest quest was to find the optimum seating length for my chosen bullets in my .243 and .223 reloads . I took my rifles and some neck sized cartridges and boxes of new bullets to Steve Bowers to do the measurement from the lands . He did the measurements and gave me two dummy bullets which I can use as a maximum length. He said that the most accurate distance is 10 -15 thousands of an inch back from the lands . He also said just check that they will fit in the magazine. I did and the .243 is fine but the .223 50 grain vmax sticks out too far . I know that the bullets have to go back  , but that is ridiculous. Anyone else come across this ?

C67EF541-3A19-470C-BF8E-E9EF632FB698.jpeg

I've always stuck with recommended overall length on my reloads. I just assumed there's a reason manufacturers make them the length they do. 

43 minutes ago, walshie said:

I've always stuck with recommended overall length on my reloads. I just assumed there's a reason manufacturers make them the length they do. 

They are risk averse . If a bullet is touching the lands the pressure is massively increased to a dangerous level . 

31 minutes ago, riohog said:

try a different ogive instead of the balistic tips  ,say a 50grn hornady sx or a hollow point they wont stick out so fvar 10 t0 20 thou off the lands is fine ,just watch for sighns of exess presjre on the  case :thumbs:

I think I’m going to have to try that . I’ve actually had a few issues with the 50 grn vmax , like rings from my die , and now this . Going to have a look at the bullets you say . I can’t believe that the manufacturer hasn’t taken this into account. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I’ve been getting reasonable results using the C.O.A.L . I might bring the bullets out so they are just clear of the mag and see how they perform . 

you  dont want to come to far back mate .hornady super explosives worked just fine in my .222  and safe on land they just break up  .

First off. A bullet touching the lands is not dangerous, just not practical, especially if the bullet gets stuck and remains in the throat during unloading the rifle. Actually a deep seated bullet increases pressure by limiting case volume and then hitting the lands.

Second. The most accuracy is NOT found at the distance from the lands the EXPERT said at all. There are hundreds of factors that determines the best accuracy. Don't worry about it.

Your magazine is a generic unit that covers all the short action cartridges.

It possibly may have an insert piece that may be altered to allow a longer c.o.a.l.

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

First off. A bullet touching the lands is not dangerous, just not practical, especially if the bullet gets stuck and remains in the throat during unloading the rifle. Actually a deep seated bullet increases pressure by limiting case volume and then hitting the lands.

Second. The most accuracy is NOT found at the distance from the lands the EXPERT said at all. There are hundreds of factors that determines the best accuracy. Don't worry about it.

Your magazine is a generic unit that covers all the short action cartridges.

It possibly may have an insert piece that may be altered to allow a longer c.o.a.l.

Like I said , so many different opinions.