Teeth care

7 hours ago, Jay w said:

Has anyone got any advice on how to keep lurchers teeth clean there long jaws make it really difficult to keep the back teeth clean

Hard tooth brush with Colgate plus whitening does the trick for me before bed and morning dogs love it mate ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Plaque off, available here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ProDen-Plaque-Off-Food-Supplement/dp/B0047VWPNI/ref=sr_1_5?adgrpid=55685782240&dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwtsv7BRCmARIsANu-CQdioM0ctfYW6BDlhYhS5pXgOYny5bkjPoh75FBpykrV1SGvv8NMNzMaAvO9EALw_wcB&hvadid=259001158452&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9044886&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17308973695246673279&hvtargid=kwd-295851421390&hydadcr=18068_1769632&keywords=plaque+off+for+dogs&qid=1601366601&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-21

I first heard of this when I saw a 12 year old Collie with immaculate teeth, and it really does work. My vet says that lurchers and sighthounds seem to be particularly prone to getting plaque on their teeth, which is surprising as they have long jaws with plenty of room between the teeth. Her conclusion is that this sort of dog creates much less saliva than most other types/breeds (drier mouths), and I have to agree with her. The only lurcher I had which never needed any tooth cleaning had a much wetter mouth than most, and she never got any plaque on her teeth, even at age 13. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

Can use a tooth de-scaler & toothbrush if the dog will let you. Good idea to do their teeth ears & nails once a week only takes about 15 mins per dog and keeps on top of things

spot on, i give beef knuckle  bones once a week, and i clean them once a month, got finger holder that like thimble  , rub this on with dog tooth paste, and there not to bad. Old Bryn got very good teeth for his 13 years, Buck not bad , and little woody ok , but had couple out , few years back when my son had him, woody 10 or 11 . my dogs are ok with there nails as well, they stand there let me do them, i used to let them feel the clipper on there foot when young pups every other day, then just build  up from there, mind you i had pit bitch who was a fookin night mare , had to muzzle her and hold her down, need 2 people to do her , she was very powerful animal  for 58lb   deff .

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, bird said:

spot on, i give beef knuckle  bones once a week, and i clean them once a month, got finger holder that like thimble  , rub this on with dog tooth paste, and there not to bad. Old Bryn got very good teeth for his 13 years, Buck not bad , and little woody ok , but had couple out , few years back when my son had him, woody 10 or 11 . my dogs are ok with there nails as well, they stand there let me do them, i used to let them feel the clipper on there foot when young pups every other day, then just build  up from there, mind you i had pit bitch who was a fookin night mare , had to muzzle her and hold her down, need 2 people to do her , she was very powerful animal  for 58lb   deff .

Knuckle bones will do the trick Bird. Always have some in the freezer . As said once a week a bone and theire teeth are shining in the dark.