The missus managed to get me one of the "baby bean" moulds. They are 8mm x 11mm. I knocked up a small batch of ammo and had a walk out. I think my 0.8 bands are a bit heavy for them in all honesty ( they weigh 4.5 grams) and would better suit a 0.7 band...but I still managed to bag a couple of pigeons. Any one else tried them?IMG_20200909_204058.jpg.df66ea3e27b332ce4af8d0cb4a80d545.jpg

IMG_20200920_205941.jpg

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Much are these moulds an how easy are they to use? As a kid I remember my ole man an his pals using the hole in pair of pliers to mould lead for fishing with, was crude as fcuk until they tidied them up but even then they were only used for poaching so can’t imagine then needing top class weights ?

They're bloody expensive to be honest, I paid £48. But it should last me out and when you consider how many balls you can cast over its life time, it doesn't seem quite so bad. I find the smaller the shot size the hotter the mould has to be to give a decent ball. I think it's down to the size of the channel leading to the actual ball, it's considerable smaller on a 10 mm compared to my 14 mm and I seem to get a higher percentage of half and mis shapen shot at the start of the pour as the lead just doesn't seem to flow in, before it hardens....does that make sense?

• Like 1
Just now, Mr Wilkes said:

The hotter the mould gets the better it will cast... same with the lead.

Totally agree, but I definitely find it easier casting the larger size ammo. Do you? I'm using old print press lead at the minute and I think it's got quite a high percentage of tin mixed in. Makes some lovely ammo but it's more difficult  to trim off the sprue due to the hardness and you have to be watchful that the mould doesn't get too hot or it takes forever to harden.

4 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Do you flux the lead andy ?.

Yes mate, normally with a chunk of candle wax. Brings all the crap straight to the top. I must admit, there's something nice about melting lead and making your own ammo rather than just buying bearings. I do try to wear a mask tho as I can't imagine the fumes are too good for you?