Saluki blood

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

my thoughts are that saluki blooded dogs as the working class sportsman has come to know them would be the 1960s and   from then the development of coursing lurchers.

yeh ok clever cnut

Julius ceasar and William the conqueror used go coursing together    FACT

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

This prob been done before but when did saluki blooded dogs come to uk ?

I'm 64 years old and when I was a schoolboy I found a book about this in Newcastle Central Library. "The Saluki in art History and Sport", by Hope and David Waters, so a long time ago. Possibly 40's, 50's ? Maybe longer.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
32 minutes ago, Maximus Ferret said:

I'm 64 years old and when I was a schoolboy I found a book about this in Newcastle Central Library. "The Saluki in art History and Sport", by Hope and David Waters, so a long time ago. Possibly 40's, 50's ? Maybe longer.

I think long time before that ?

the first Romani people left India 1400 s and would have had there own hunting type juckels and I'm sure these dogs would have traveled with them into Europe and uk . 

Look at the Indian hunting dogs,they all kinds from small terrier types to mastif for fighting to sal types for filling the pot ,

i may be wrong but why not bring there hunting types with them ?

Edited by Moocher71
  • Like 1

The romans likely brought sight hounds from the Mediterranean area but there isn't sign of any recent introductions in greyhound genetics, the English greyhound is a comparative newbie in sighthound terms that has evolved from herding types. Perhaps the Romans brought hares and hare coursing to Britain and when they left the locals developed their own sighthound, the English greyhound. It would appear the Britain's of the period had some panache re dogs being famed for having plenty of big powerful hounds for hunting and war so once they had some hares to chase and a taste for the sport developing a purpose bred sighthound wouldn't have been to much for them.

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, sandymere said:

The romans likely brought sight hounds from the Mediterranean area but there isn't sign of any recent introductions in greyhound genetics, the English greyhound is a comparative newbie in sighthound terms that has evolved from herding types. Perhaps the Romans brought hares and hare coursing to Britain and when they left the locals developed their own sighthound, the English greyhound. It would appear the Britain's of the period had some panache re dogs being famed for having plenty of big powerful hounds for hunting and war so once they had some hares to chase and a taste for the sport developing a purpose bred sighthound wouldn't have been to much for them.

romans were in the middle east so likely had them, Britain in those days may not have suited the sal style, ,i would of thought all  our ancient visitors would of brought some kind of dog, all early people used them.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gilbey said:

1840 "officially" but it's thought that they brought them back from the crusades 

my thoughts are that saluki blooded dogs as the working class sportsman has come to know them would be the 1960s and   from then the development of coursing lurchers.

• Like 4
55 minutes ago, two crows said:

romans were in the middle east so likely had them, Britain in those days may not have suited the sal style, ,i would of thought all  our ancient visitors would of brought some kind of dog, all early people used them.

During the roman period sigthounds were likely more  localised to type and certainly not pure as we consider pure breeds, most areas probably had there own type suited to their environment, so a roman in Spain would have had an ancestor of the Galgo one in northern Africa would have an ancestor of a Sloughi etc. But there would be a great deal of variety within that, just look at early pictures of greyhounds, they came in size from deerhound to whippet and rough and smooth but all still considered greyhounds. Today in the large parts of the world they still have a homogenous type of sight hound that fits no breed standard but does the job. Pure breeds are a modern concept.

A modern coursing sighthound of north Africa, a sigthound but not a breed.

IMG_20191227_205322.jpg.131741653e21965cf06a5607efbac07b.jpg

• Like 3

Just look at the types used in India like the rajapolayam or rampur hound or caravan hound ? All come from northern India and used by these tribes  for hundreds if not thousands of yrs .these tribes migrated all over Europe and would have taken hunting dogs with them .

2 hours ago, sandymere said:

During the roman period sigthounds were likely more  localised to type and certainly not pure as we consider pure breeds, most areas probably had there own type suited to their environment, so a roman in Spain would have had an ancestor of the Galgo one in northern Africa would have an ancestor of a Sloughi etc. But there would be a great deal of variety within that, just look at early pictures of greyhounds, they came in size from deerhound to whippet and rough and smooth but all still considered greyhounds. Today in the large parts of the world they still have a homogenous type of sight hound that fits no breed standard but does the job. Pure breeds are a modern concept.

A modern coursing sighthound of north Africa, a sigthound but not a breed.

IMG_20191227_205322.jpg.131741653e21965cf06a5607efbac07b.jpg

A lot of Asian ,African dogs not classed as a breed just a type like our terriers etc before show folk got hands on them and ruined the type .

5 hours ago, two crows said:

so if I was a roman and saw a saluki and liked it I would not have got one and brought it to another country then.

I'd expect so but the odd one isn't going to have much of an impact when the average roman soldiers wouldn't have the ability to take dogs on their travels so would likely have used local dogs in the area they were based.