coursing dog cross lurcher

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

4 month old bitch bred that way, her mother is coursing bred but used for all sorts, not an out and out hare coursing dog. Makes a much tougher and more versatile animal IMO 

My old stripe dog never took a white hare or red deer but took everything else not saying he done the lot in style but hed find a way of hanging in there.coursing bitch to a lamper dog.

this was my lurcher x coursing bitch. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, moonlighter said:

That wasn’t a coursing bred dog. He was 3/4 grey, 1/4 beddy. The smooth bitch in the picture was the pup from some of the others in the picture. 

That’s why the rough un took my eye like a beddy cross??All nice dogs mate credit to you

Mine is mostly coursing blood with collie / grey bred in a generation back if I remember correctly. She can catch where others can't on wet arable and is fast and agile for a 26" dog. Loves using her nose and tries her best to work cover, unfortunately also makes her a bugger for hunting on. Other downside is a weak jaw and lack of strength, even if it was pre-ban she is not suitable for retrieving anything other than rabbits. If I lived somewhere with enough rabbits to give her loads of runs in quick succession lamping or ferreting when younger I could have got better discipline but as it is she's a bit of a liability. Close in she's very responsive and I can usually call her off game, but once games on it's a different matter. Feel like I've failed this one to an extent by not making the best of the abilities she has that a more skilled handler could have made more of, but she has a good life so it is what it is. In a different world I'd consider lining her to something like a big fast collie greyhound in spite of her failings because I think there's the raw material to produce decent all rounders, but there's enough lurchers around with not enough jobs to do and I need a litter of puppies to rear and home like a hole in the head so it's never going to happen.

gemwinter.png.80cb71c108a3a1b2a23a3655b7a472f4.png

• Like 8
41 minutes ago, C.green said:

My old stripe dog never took a white hare or red deer but took everything else not saying he done the lot in style but hed find a way of hanging in there.coursing bitch to a lamper dog.

A97A5D59-62AA-45C0-9497-F716747FCCBD.jpeg

Nice , I got old dog here that took most stuff and like yours never in style but he got job done and that's all that counts .?