coursing dog cross lurcher

I had one, but sadly died before she was two. Showing great promise though. I’ve seen a few work and course in the old coursing club I was with. I think the mating was a lurcher bitch, put to a coursing dog. All 3 bitches I see work were mustard. Only small, about 23” but could course and hunt for fun. 

• Like 1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

4 month old bitch bred that way, her mother is coursing bred but used for all sorts, not an out and out hare coursing dog. Makes a much tougher and more versatile animal IMO 

My old stripe dog never took a white hare or red deer but took everything else not saying he done the lot in style but hed find a way of hanging in there.coursing bitch to a lamper dog.

this was my lurcher x coursing bitch. 

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

Make sure and use one that’s done plenty graft & picked up minimal injuries, ignore the big names do some research and find something that’s actually been tested. 

shadow 100 , i no lads running the type I looking for and they doing the job .any pics of parents of your pup ?  

when I first started most saluki crosses were with knock about lurhers as that was what lads were running, adding saluki pepped them up, seemed to take them to another level, and of course line breeding created the coursing dog, it would be nice to take a step back my originals were a mix of bedlington greyhound whippet and saluki so I will prob us a decent beddy gray, two seventys bitches line bred from my original bitch fly both small but mighty the lighter coloured bitch killed several foxs in fine style just had a knack..

DSCF8387.JPG

038.JPG

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

I think if I was to take a litter from my bitch, then I'd be looking for a fast type coursing dog to go over her, lighten up the pups, hopefullyadd  more gears and stamina?.... Maybe? Maybe not? ? 

when people add greyhound to speed things up or lighten things up, stamina drops, at least coursing blood wont do that.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

Fathers saluki x grey on one side & lurcher x lurcher on other. Suppose if I worked out % she would be 3/4 saluki x grey, 1/4 lurcher x lurcher 

Most coursing bred is saluki lurcher I don’t get what you mean when you say they make for a better stronger more versatile dog so if you cross a saluki bred dog that an all rounder to a coursing bred Sal x you get a better hound 

3 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

Most coursing bred is saluki lurcher I don’t get what you mean when you say they make for a better stronger more versatile dog so if you cross a saluki bred dog that an all rounder to a coursing bred Sal x you get a better hound 

Adding the lurcher x lurcher blood to the coursing dog gives you a tougher & more versatile dog than just a straight Sal x grey. Notice a less scatty temperament as well not as sensitive, easier trained.

D578AC01-CB56-4336-8021-B0EC3A0903C2.jpeg

• Like 2
Just now, Shadow100 said:

Adding the lurcher x lurcher blood to the coursing dog gives you a tougher & more versatile dog than just a straight Sal x grey. Notice a less scatty temperament as well not as sensitive, easier trained.

D578AC01-CB56-4336-8021-B0EC3A0903C2.jpeg

All the old linebread coursing stuff is saluki lurcher but ye I agree straight Sal grey not my cup a tea 

3 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

All the old linebread coursing stuff is saluki lurcher but ye I agree straight Sal grey not my cup a tea 

Tbh I think “coursing bred” stuff, your Romeo, Jamie, Scouser dogs are like their own breed, had home bred Sal/grey no big names and it was totally different from those types. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mC HULL said:

different altogether, what I am on about is coursing dog cross traditional lurcher, I see the outcome being more like how we began and more suited to my needs now, possibly a bit less full on.

• Like 1