The 6.5 Craze

49 minutes ago, Meece said:

The world is covid bound and I  doubt if any gun shop has sold many new rifles this year at all

My local RFD had shelves full of air rifles before lockdown.  Popped in to see him half way through lockdown and he had none left.  He sold out of all second hand and new air rifles within the first month.  It was his best couple of months in years for ammo sales.  Covid has done his sales wonders

34 minutes ago, lllluke1 said:

My local RFD had shelves full of air rifles before lockdown.  Popped in to see him half way through lockdown and he had none left.  He sold out of all second hand and new air rifles within the first month.  It was his best couple of months in years for ammo sales.  Covid has done his sales wonders

It goes to show the general state of things when an RFD has shelves full of air rifles.  BUT Air rifles aint the same beast as centre fire rifles. Kent isnt entertaining any new applications or variations  of firearms certs and existing cert renewals are being extended by 8 weeks if you get the application in 8 weeks prior to end date.  Unless an air rifle is FAC there are very little restrictions on their purchase.  I think the bicycles have sold well also.  Go ask how many mid range shotguns he's  sold.  I was told today that Chris Potter Guns have stopped ordering  mid range shotguns because nothing is selling.

28 minutes ago, Meece said:

It goes to show the general state of things when an RFD has shelves full of air rifles.  BUT Air rifles aint the same beast as centre fire rifles. Kent isnt entertaining any new applications or variations  of firearms certs and existing cert renewals are being extended by 8 weeks if you get the application in 8 weeks prior to end date.  Unless an air rifle is FAC there are very little restrictions on their purchase.  I think the bicycles have sold well also.  Go ask how many mid range shotguns he's  sold.  I was told today that Chris Potter Guns have stopped ordering  mid range shotguns because nothing is selling.

Dyfed Powys has just started back up with grants, new applications and variations.  Fair point about FAC, not sure on shotguns, but clays and clay cartridges sold well

On 27/09/2020 at 13:04, KimE said:

".277 Sig Fury takes off"

Not many hunting rifle actions can take a daily use with a 80000psi cartridge.

Just the one civilian rifle I believe atm. It's like any new calibre, takes a while to establish itself .....or fail.... Who knows which. Only time will tell. On the military side it depends on winning the contract. On the civilian side, I believe they said they were going to support irrespective (probably because of development costs), it's going to depend on offering something existing rifles don't at a price around that of conventional rounds. It could be the best calibre in the world but if the rounds cost £4 compared to say £2 for a 6.5, it's not going to get much traction, at least in the UK where shooters are price sensitive on ammo.

Also, whilst 6.5 Creedmoor has gained a lot of popularity, attention for trend setters, is turning towards the slightly larger 6.8mm (.277).

On 27/09/2020 at 13:22, Wolfdog91 said:

Honestly can't see my self with the fury.  I really have the vibe is going to go the course of the. 224 Valkyrie that came out like a year and some change ago.  Was supposed to be the greatest thing for the AR platform and all.  With in about three months if it being mainstream people where talking about how they where getting case head separation, pressure spikes, two shot brass life, heck some of the bullets where being pissed so hard through that round where shattering at around the 300yd mark.  I think it's going to be a good round for the PRS guys and such but I cant really see my self using it.  That being said though there is a semi wild cat already known as the. 277 wolverine and I can make my own brass for that out of 5.56/.223 and since I pick up a few hundred or so piece of that at the rage every month I think it would be a better option logistically speaking. Less case capacity though but meh

I doubt you'll see case separation. I believe the cases for the Sig are manufactured for the US Armys future weapons program and use 2 separate components - the brass case and a special steel base designed for the extra pressure with joints that actually get tighter under pressure due to their overlapping design. The US army aren't going to tolerate case failures and nor is any ammo designed to win a competition for a lucrative military contract going to be submitted if it's prone to failure. SIG have billions of dollars at stake here. Imagine the cost benefit of supplying the guns and ammo to the US army for the next 30 years! That's billions of rounds and tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of rifles. - A lot of dosh at stake.

A little detail of the performance and some case pics here: https://www.tactical-life.com/gear/ammo/277-sig-fury-hybrid-case-design/

One of the parameters for a military rifle or sidearm or what ever is it's ability to keep its integrity when say for example the barrel gets stuffed with mud.

It's going to take some action and barrel to take the abuse the Sig cartridge will offer it in a blockage situation!

• Like 1

"It's going to take some action and barrel to take the abuse the Sig cartridge will offer it in a blockage situation!"

I think the other ngsw bids have slightly lower pressure then they havn`t limited themself to the .473 case head. Any caliber widely adopted by the US military will find a civilian market.

• Like 1