Dog stopped retrieving.

Don't have the answer but I've experienced a version of that twice so you're not alone. Not refusal to retrieve but dogs that had retrieved perfectly refusing to come closer than 10 or 20 yards. Could be complete coincidence but both dogs about 14 months and changed from soft mouthed to hard mouthed. Best I could do was work hard on recall, making it fun and doing some every day. It meant they at least felt obliged to come in close before dropping ?. I found one thing to avoid was going towards them and making to take rabbits off them before they dropped. Sorry to say neither retrieved consistently again ☹️

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dinosaurs said:

My youngest bitch stopped when she was bout 4 ? Brings the odd one in but usually drops em out in field on way back & is hard mouthed so their usually dead. Shes never run hard as very few rabbits in my area. Atb

Just happy 2 catch a fecker me

• Like 1
On 25/09/2020 at 15:28, trigger2 said:

Its funny you say that, my dog showed some interest in her for about a week 3 weeks ago then nothing. Her sister broke down but my bitch didn't.

My young bitch started to break down and even spotting but stopped after couple days ,I think the older bitch "dominant " put her of her season as she came back into season couple weeks after busher finished .

I personally find retrieving a lottery. I’m no expert at all, but I’ve had a dog who would retrieve a dummy like a Labrador, blind retrieves etc, but showed no interest in retrieving game. 
then I had another who showed no interest in a ball or dummy, but would retrieve rabbits to hand, even jumping over fences with them. My current dog is ok at both, but she’s only young so anything can change. Good luck anyway. 

• Like 2