Dog stopped retrieving.

My young dog I have here who has just turned 18 months has stopped retrieving, she’s had well over a 100 rabbits and use to either retrieve to hand on occasions or within 10 yards. Slowly but surely the retrieve after about 90 rabbits has gone down hill with a retrieve of 2 within 20 yards out of 14 last night.

I’ve never known a dog just stop like she has, shes got no interest with playing with a ball or toy to practice retrieve training at home. has anybody got any ideas on how to get her to start retrieving again. She’s had a 10 night rest before going out last night and was still the same so it’s not down to being tired.

i could do with getting a bit fitter so it looks like I will be getting of retrieve training exercise of me own lol.

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Sounds like an age/trust thing. I’d either go back to basics with the dog or give her more time off, still a pup, sure she ain’t due in season?

Its funny you say that, my dog showed some interest in her for about a week 3 weeks ago then nothing. Her sister broke down but my bitch didn't.

2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Make sure she ain’t just keeping herself proper clean mate, iv had a bitch an got a scotty here now you wouldn’t know she was ever in season if you didn’t physically check her ?

My old dog would know the crack he’s kennelled next to her. No swelling or usual signs of a season so I’ve Sort of  ruled that out.

I had a bitch that never showed any signs of swelling or bleeding for 7/8 seasons, we all thought she was barren, looking back it was because she was so fit and run to hard if I'm honest?kennelled her with a young dog that still tutti down for a piss...... He had her the little prick.... Cost me £1800,emergency c section, lost 10 pups, ended up with 2 and the cheeky f***ing cnuts spayed her without asking me first.... That finished her for good ?then my Mrs gave away the pup I kept to friends?was some tension between us for a while lol.... I then kept 2 terrier pups back, was gifted another and went and got my wheaton bitch just to rub her f***ing nose in it??

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

My old dog would know the crack he’s kennelled next to her. No swelling or usual signs of a season so I’ve Sort of  ruled that out.

16 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

I had a bitch that never showed any signs of swelling or bleeding for 7/8 seasons, we all thought she was barren, looking back it was because she was so fit and run to hard if I'm honest?kennelled her with a young dog that still tutti down for a piss...... He had her the little prick.... Cost me £1800,emergency c section, lost 10 pups, ended up with 2 and the cheeky f***ing cnuts spayed her without asking me first.... That finished her for good ?then my Mrs gave away the pup I kept to friends?was some tension between us for a while lol.... I then kept 2 terrier pups back, was gifted another and went and got my wheaton bitch just to rub her f***ing nose in it??

Was going to say, bitch could be a little too fit to come into season. Happens with female athletes as well. Forget the proper name for it now. Perhaps someone could google, paste and copy it. ? ? ? ............. ?.

Seen it a few times. Let the bitch 'soften up', cut back on the walking, fitness etc for a bit.

Is there another dog there trig or are you on your own ? If there is another dog there it could be a jealousy thing. or has she had a catch snatched of her in the past .and same as balaur said or try walking backwards whilst calling her in .it might be just spending more time just one on one just mooching about building your bond up 

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, trigger2 said:

My young dog I have here who has just turned 18 months has stopped retrieving, she’s had well over a 100 rabbits and use to either retrieve to hand on occasions or within 10 yards. Slowly but surely the retrieve after about 90 rabbits has gone down hill with a retrieve of 2 within 20 yards out of 14 last night.

I’ve never known a dog just stop like she has, shes got no interest with playing with a ball or toy to practice retrieve training at home. has anybody got any ideas on how to get her to start retrieving again. She’s had a 10 night rest before going out last night and was still the same so it’s not down to being tired.

i could do with getting a bit fitter so it looks like I will be getting of retrieve training exercise of me own lol.

If u can get her 2 bring 1 back give her a little bit of frys peppermint cream do that a few times out she be right ?

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Is there another dog there trig or are you on your own ? If there is another dog there it could be a jealousy thing. or has she had a catch snatched of her in the past .and same as balaur said or try walking backwards whilst calling her in .it might be just spending more time just one on one just mooching about building your bond up 

No other dogs there's just me and her mate. Its just confusing why she gone off the boil after going so well. I done a days ferreting with another dog there and she would run off with the catch and drop it down the field. She had already stopped retrieving on the lamp by then.

next one she catches ...if it's close to you ...could you get the lead on her whilst she still has a hold of it...then walk her round on the lead holding on the rabbit.....

or does she just drop them soon as you get close

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, TOMO said:

next one she catches ...if it's close to you ...could you get the lead on her whilst she still has a hold of it...then walk her round on the lead holding on the rabbit.....

or does she just drop them soon as you get close

I will try that, just don't understand why she stopped.

Just now, W. Katchum said:

As a habit I always put slip in before taking bunny, used to do it when lamping in company so they could slip asap, an it just stuck ?

Yep same ...especially a few year ago when I had the kelpie cross...she always gripped tight....I could put the lead on and walk for ages and her hold it....of course not all dogs will do this....but if trigger can get a lead on and walk just a few yards...and build on it...

• Like 1