Over the counter rat poison

Looking at putting some poison down at my small holding .Which poison is best to purchase  over the counter .i have got traps set in tunnels etc just looking to hit them with something else  . I’ve got a few bait boxes lying around just don’t know which poison to get . 
cheers 

On 25/09/2020 at 00:26, Ken's Deputy said:

Is your area Warfarin resistant? (Have you ever had a rat say; " Listen carefully. I shall say this only once! ") If so? Difenacoum.

Difenacoum is probably the not the best poison for rats. The LD50 which means how much does an average rat need to eat to kill it is 9grms. 

Bromadialone LD50 is 5.6grms

Brodifacoum LD50 is 1.3grms

Just bear in mind what other animals are around the baiting area before you put any of the above down as some animals are more prone to death with less of the poison that others. Hopefully the attached chart will give you some ideas. If not PM me and I will run through it with you.

tables_rounded_comp.jpg

I like pasta bags or wax blocks as you can thread them on to wire. This stops one greedy rat from taking it all away. If using loose wheat cover it. Went to one farm and the farmer was emptying piles of wheat poison on the corners of out buildings, then the birds were coming down and eating it...not good.

It's not keeping the bait secure that is hard. That can be achieved with decent bait boxes and properly covered bait points.  

The risks come from the fact that a rat slowed by poison is more likely to be caught by its enemies and you have little control of where a rat may expire. It may die underground or in the open where it could be eaten by anything from a wild predator to a beloved pet. Then you are into secondary poisoning, possible trouble , futile vet's bills and heartache.

Laying poison is easy  . Actively seeking dead and dying rats and disposing of them safely is vital!

The LD50 figures are misleading . They don't necessarily  indicate that the rest of the animals in the test group survived. In many cases they just took a bit longer to die.

• Thanks 1