Which 160 AMP Inverter Welder?

Looking at you, Balaur and Walshie!

Checked the one in town out, today. Dinky. Made by the people that made 90% of the accessories around it. Comes with a hard, plastic case (Great for shit that'll be spending 99% of its time in a cold room. Waiting to see use)

£300.00!!!! :o  I almost threw up! That was Not the sort of prices my earlier musings on the subject had led me to think on.

Just come home and googled again. Led me straight to Amazon - obviously. But, I'm now looking at stuff like the Parker jobby? Plenty of other 160 kit out there. Most of it not even touching the two ton!

So, possibly my (almost! LOL!) Last question would be Which?

Is there a well trusted, lower price range, make out there? Or is it just another case of searching Amazon half the night and jumping in?

On 24/09/2020 at 20:29, walshie said:

Good call. I think I'd rather have a Clarke that's made in Europe (Italy I think) than anything from ching chong China. 

Just been sniffing around that forum Balaur mentions. They have dedicated brands boards. Ran my eye over the Clarke one and it was all; " This bit's come off. " " That bit's fukked. " :(

Fact is, I can't really see what ever I get getting used more than a few times, anyway. I'm wandering around, for ever trying to imagine what else I may do with it, once I have that stand for my little fridge.

To be honest? I'm more in love with the fact that I'll be able to do a spot of dead basic welding, should the need ever occur. Just to save me running to my neighbour again.

For what I'll probably have to spend? I'd be as well to Hire some fukker to do it! It's just a bucket list / toys for boys thing. I've been checking out aprons, jackets and helmets too, now. Could easily end up shelling out up to half a grand. Just to be left with sticks left in my first box when I die!

But; Are We Not Men?! :D

10 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Just been sniffing around that forum Balaur mentions. They have dedicated brands boards. Ran my eye over the Clarke one and it was all; " This bit's come off. " " That bit's fukked. " :(

Fact is, I can't really see what ever I get getting used more than a few times, anyway. I'm wandering around, for ever trying to imagine what else I may do with it, once I have that stand for my little fridge.

To be honest? I'm more in love with the fact that I'll be able to do a spot of dead basic welding, should the need ever occur. Just to save me running to my neighbour again.

For what I'll probably have to spend? I'd be as well to Hire some fukker to do it! It's just a bucket list / toys for boys thing. I've been checking out aprons, jackets and helmets too, now. Could easily end up shelling out up to half a grand. Just to be left with sticks left in my first box when I die!

But; Are We Not Men?! :D

Welder £170 .. helmet £30 ... Proban overalls £20 .. welding gauntlets £3.99 .. hardly half a grand just get it bought and learn a new skill 

• Like 1

I got one of these nearly three years ago, still going strong and I would still recommend it. Handy having the 8m leads and 100% DC up to 160A, built in Germany good bit of kit, I only paid £137 so must be inflation now at £180, still worth the money though.

Edited by Gav
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Aye I been told to bring a note pad an pen? I won’t be in any hurry to learn mate as no jobs to do that I couldn’t get done but it’s just summat I wanna try ?

It's nice to see you changed your tune.you said to me what's the point get someone else to do it.

Good luck it's a handy skill to have I think..

1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

I’ll never do anything that needs done properly tho, not for a long time anyways, I’ll jus get a proper welder to do it ?

You never know.you might end up with a mig welder at home.

Dai down the road might have a broken handle on the wheel barrrow.or the kids want foot pegs on there bmx.its only welding a bolt on the back each side.a broken hanging basket bracket.quick spot weld job done.

It's surprising how you can save numerous things instead of throwing them.

For instance if you got a metal bed frame and you are knocking the back out of the wife and the bed starts squeeking.a bit of box section a few spot welds.bang away once more ?

5 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I ain’t got the space or the money to fork out for summat that gonna cost a few quid an sit an do nowt most the time, we got huge big workshop at work with mechanic, fitter a engineer an all welding gear but they too busy to teach me, so I’ll get me mate to teach me at his place an if ever I should need I’ll use works gear to do it, but it’s more a curiosity thing than anything, I learnt to lay blocks a few weeks back aswell but I’ll get him back to do any jobs instead a doing it myself haha I’ll just labour for him ?

Can't fault having all the gear there to use that's a big bonus.good luck..

• 3 weeks later...