Veg & Meat Boxes

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All this talk of food has made me hungry, so the missus has made a game pie; Main ingredients are hare and pigeon, onions, garlic, black pudding and red wine. Dont know if

A pretty nice picture from today 

Thank goodness for that for a minute i thought this was going to be a topic about jockstraps !!

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

€15 - €20 a chicken is what I would typically pay, but that’s a choice.

I did once get a La Bresse...............I wouldn’t go that high again!

I was looking for them at one point to breed some but they are not actually that big and more tradition breeds over here I decided made more sense (and less hassle to source !) 

At the moment I am bringing on Brhamas and Buff Orpington for eating birds

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Rusty_terrier said:

We get a chicken from morrisons for 6 quid. Wouldnt pay some of the prices mentioned although I understand why they are what they are but I think as well got to take current climate into account with folk being laid off hours reduced etc

I’d say most people who care about this stuff do what they can where they can mate, I’m no different.

I top up my cows and sheep with a small bit of rolled oats mixed with cow crunch.

I know that don’t come from round the corner and I know it’s probably not organic but I have to be realistic about just how far my grass will go to keeping my animals in top condition.

It also helps me get seaweed, garlic and other herbs into their diet so that I don’t have to keep worming things.

Id say I use a bag of each a week maybe, but there are many farmers who are using a lorry load a month.

Everything is a trade off, I only use things that I can justify in the grand scheme.

One thing I can not justify is spray and agri chemicals, I don’t want to eat it and I’m sure nobody else does either.

• Like 3

The commercial boys grow Ross Cobb bird after 6 week they weigh 2k but I feel this is not long enough to develop flavour. I had them of a mate who has a small orchard and they scratch around but he brought one around not long ago 10 bloody pound. it's only me and the wife. I cut the the crown out and froze the legs, they were one and a half pounds each. Nice eating but he had kept them longer. He reckons he has had them up to 17lb but said you can get problems when they get that big and can go off their legs. Think the Buff Orpington would be a better bird for taste especially if they were scratching around free range.

Cheers Arry

58 minutes ago, WILF said:

I was looking for them at one point to breed some but they are not actually that big and more tradition breeds over here I decided made more sense (and less hassle to source !) 

At the moment I am bringing on Brhamas and Buff Orpington for eating birds

I definitely reached the point of diminishing returns with the La Bresse ?

That was purely a name thing, something fancy for Christmas. But the general principle of spending a few quid more, if you can, on something produced better.....I’m fully on board with ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Arry said:

The commercial boys grow Ross Cobb bird after 6 week they weigh 2k but I feel this is not long enough to develop flavour. I had them of a mate who has a small orchard and they scratch around but he brought one around not long ago 10 bloody pound. it's only me and the wife. I cut the the crown out and froze the legs, they were one and a half pounds each. Nice eating but he had kept them longer. He reckons he has had them up to 17lb but said you can get problems when they get that big and can go off their legs. Think the Buff Orpington would be a better bird for taste especially if they were scratching around free range.

Cheers Arry

I reckon mine will take best part of a year mate, certainly nothing less than about 8 months 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SheepChaser said:

I honestly think breeds mean less than how it’s reared! 

Maybe mate however I researched the cattle I keep quiet a lot and settled on these because they seem ideal for small holders and the way I want to raise them.

They also kill out at about 60% so they tick all my boxes.

1 hour ago, WILF said:

I’d say most people who care about this stuff do what they can where they can mate, I’m no different.

I top up my cows and sheep with a small bit of rolled oats mixed with cow crunch.

I know that don’t come from round the corner and I know it’s probably not organic but I have to be realistic about just how far my grass will go to keeping my animals in top condition.

It also helps me get seaweed, garlic and other herbs into their diet so that I don’t have to keep worming things.

Id say I use a bag of each a week maybe, but there are many farmers who are using a lorry load a month.

Everything is a trade off, I only use things that I can justify in the grand scheme.

One thing I can not justify is spray and agri chemicals, I don’t want to eat it and I’m sure nobody else does either.

Where are you getting the seaweed meal wilf.

Atb j 

6 minutes ago, jetro said:

Where are you getting the seaweed meal wilf.

Atb j 

I have just been buying the tubs but I have just the last few days sourced 25kg sacks at very sensible money so I’ll get them from now on 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, WILF said:

Maybe mate however I researched the cattle I keep quiet a lot and settled on these because they seem ideal for small holders and the way I want to raise them.

They also kill out at about 60% so they tick all my boxes.

Yer I totally get that!

What I meant is if you take a normal commercial tex x lamb and grass really it, kill it right and hang it right it tastes awesome, a lot better than same lamb from supermarket. 

Same with chooks, mixed diet and great air and those cobs taste banging!

Om a side note, the two best steaks in an international taste test were an intensive reared continental beast and an old dairy cow ? so what do we know ? 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Yer I totally get that!

What I meant is if you take a normal commercial tex x lamb and grass really it, kill it right and hang it right it tastes awesome, a lot better than same lamb from supermarket. 

Same with chooks, mixed diet and great air and those cobs taste banging!

Om a side note, the two best steaks in an international taste test were an intensive reared continental beast and an old dairy cow ? so what do we know ? 

I’m just eating an old Tex that I have had for 5 years, she just hung around as a pet really but she went lame and had a skin growth between her back hoof that was red raw all the time, treated it but it never got better and I wasn’t about to start cutting it off so off she went and I have to say she tastes great ? 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, WILF said:

I have just been buying the tubs but I have just the last few days sourced 25kg sacks at very sensible money so I’ll get them from now on 

The reason I asked is, they make it just over the road from me. 

Atb j