Veg & Meat Boxes

9 minutes ago, Francie said:

That is organic wilf lol

Ahh, but you can’t call it organic mate unless you have a certificate from an authorising organisation, it’s illegal ?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All this talk of food has made me hungry, so the missus has made a game pie; Main ingredients are hare and pigeon, onions, garlic, black pudding and red wine. Dont know if

A pretty nice picture from today 

Thank goodness for that for a minute i thought this was going to be a topic about jockstraps !!

Posted Images

From my limited experience, things I’ve noticed are -

Its often over priced without the justification.

You have to be careful that you include your time and faffing about, fuel for any delivery’s etc in your price - this is partly why statement one is true - there is no economy of scale. So whilst your stuff may be lovely it’s probably not that much more lovely than anyone else’s.

You get the price you want (and the trade) by selling a story not your produce. 

The above story is more important than being organic - natural, free range, happy, high welfare and all of that is probably more important. Organic is something latched onto by folk who don’t know much about what it means.

If selling cuts - make a plan for the rest of the animal! You might sell a lot of fillet and sirloin or chops and legs but what about the rest ?

Dont slag off other farmers to sell your product! You might have five milk cows and the farm down road may have 500 inside all year but that doesn’t mean you’re better / nicer / more ethical.

Start small and work up, produce what sells not just what you like.

Know your costs, properly!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WILF said:

Ahh, but you can’t call it organic mate unless you have a certificate from an authorising organisation, it’s illegal ?

Wilf thats madness you cant sell your meat as organic,far too many rules these days,we need more peaple selling proper food that has actually seen the light of day,best of luck to you ?

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Out of interest, I just looked on the Gov website about getting "organic" status.

It takes a minimum of one year, and up to three years.

Good luck to anyone trying to unravel all the red tape !

Cheers.

Mate I have explored the process, in reality it’s not too bad but certain things can cause you hassle.

My biggest hassle and a big problem over here is sourcing feed.

I don’t have enough ground to cut enough of my own fodder, so I would have to buy in and you just can’t get organic silage or hay here.

The hard feed is double the price so for instance, layers pellets are €8 ordinary and €15 organic.

Most of the organic feed comes from the UK and I can only see that getting more expensive after December.

Im not slagging organic because the principal is sound, we do need to move away from chemicals and routine medication of animals, we do need to localise things and move away from intense agriculture and we certainly need some kind of standard for that, it’s just that it can’t work for everyone, me included.

Im a good bit away from selling my own stuff but my downfall is that I like to know things before I get moving.....hence asking consumers what they like and don’t like.

• Like 2

Used to get a box of red ruby beef off a mate few years back, mixture of cuts, steaks, joints, mince etc..I cant remember the cost, but around £50 I think.

The meat was very good...

Locally there are few box delivery companies, the most succesful I'd say is Riverford, they are a big concern though with acres of land, onsite cafe etc...very good produce though..

I love the idea Wilf, I think you know without a large chunk of land it wont be life changing in monetary terms, but for personal satisfaction and enjoyment whilst making a few quid I reckon it would be great... nothing like making money doing what you love..

• Like 1
6 hours ago, WILF said:

Anyone here buy from a delivered box scheme ?

Just a bit of research really to see:

Why do you buy them ?

What do you like about them?

What do you dislike ?

If you don’t buy them why not ?

Any input welcome ?

Used to by them in my local pub for years, reason for buying them it was all fresh knock off food from the docks dirt cheap, both meat and veg reason I stopped, the docks went into private ownership and the lazy c**ts that worked there all got sacked and replaced by modern jobsworth yes men who would not even dare steal one piece of fruit let alone spend there whole working week being paid by the council to make up food box’s to sell in the pub on the weekend ????????

• Haha 5
2 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Used to get a box of red ruby beef off a mate few years back, mixture of cuts, steaks, joints, mince etc..I cant remember the cost, but around £50 I think.

The meat was very good...

Locally there are few box delivery companies, the most succesful I'd say is Riverford, they are a big concern though with acres of land, onsite cafe etc...very good produce though..

I love the idea Wilf, I think you know without a large chunk of land it wont be life changing in monetary terms, but for personal satisfaction and enjoyment whilst making a few quid I reckon it would be great... nothing like making money doing what you love..

We got a riverford just outside Plymouth and they sell alot of boxes

• Like 1
3 hours ago, NEWKID said:

You must be a mind reader mate, exactly that.

Just do something I like and maybe make a few quid along the way, it will only be piss about money but that’s not the whole point of the exercise either.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, WILF said:

How are they cracking on mate ?

seem to do all right  mate,just moved to a bigger place..you need a fridge/cold room.i found him a second hand  one on the net and erected it with him [easy enough job]..he's into doing these pre packed bags of chips as well.for restaurants etc..good luck..

Re the organic status: I'm sure I've seen several times over the years that, in some respects, people are still happy to buy the stuff if you're genuinely saying, "We're not Organic with a capital O but we are organic."

Re the boxes: we've had one delivered for the first time yesterday. It was from a company called HelloFresh and, to be honest, the only reason we got it was because it was free. My wife's friend uses them and put her down as a recommendation. Basically, you get the first box free but only if you sign up. So my wife signed up, then cancelled, then got the free box. Clever! I can't comment on the economics, as it was free, but what we both liked about it was that you simply order one of a multitude of their meals online and then the box supplies everything you need in the correct amounts. My better half liked this because she can never be arsed to buy "the fiddly little things" and sticks to main ingredients (therefore any flavour is supplied through the ubiquitous jar of sauce). Conversely, I prefer a stronger flavour so I like the "fiddly little things." I guess what I'm trying to say is that the meals (which you make yourself from scratch using the ingredients provided) had everything to make them taste amazing but without having to root around in Harrods for some ingredient you've never heard of. Hoisin Sticky Baked Chicken Thighs tonight!