Foxing bonanza

Yesterday saw me travelling to the Scottish Borders in search of Reynard. It was windy in the afternoon and saw nothing mooching so set caller up next to some gorse. Played cub call and within 5 secs a fox came screaming from cover , just as I got it in my sights and squeezed off it moved causing me to arse end it ? I couldn't manage to get a second shot off before it reached cover , I searched for ages in the gorse but to no avail ? Off out lamping and it was perfect , pitch black and a bit of a breeze. 1st stand shot 4 , 2nd stand shot 1 ,went back to 1st stand and shot another , last stand shot 2. So that was 8 for the night with 12 seen. No thermal or nv required , all shot with white light. Home for 3.30 am but what an awesome night ???????????

20200922_021534.jpg

• Like 16

49 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Awesome night .? Were they all on the cub call ?

No mate , I like to mix it up . A mixture of cub call , jackrabbit distress , and even 1 to vixen mating call. If a call produces nothing I switch to another and then another , works for me ?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

No mate , I like to mix it up . A mixture of cub call , jackrabbit distress , and even 1 to vixen mating call. If a call produces nothing I switch to another and then another , works for me ?

That’s interesting, I tend to think , I’m near pheasant pens , I will use pheasant distress. No pheasants in the area , rabbit distress. Fox mating time , fox mating call.  

I’m going to give your method a go .?

2 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

That’s interesting, I tend to think , I’m near pheasant pens , I will use pheasant distress. No pheasants in the area , rabbit distress. Fox mating time , fox mating call.  

I’m going to give your method a go .?

Honestly it works , some people get too tied up with this train of thought. I like to make things happen , if your 1st call isn't producing just mix it up . I have seen me calling for ages then just change call and immediately there's a fox , I think it's just a matter of finding which call they like on the night. I mean vixen mating call last night produced a vixen .....territorial reaction. I use the cub call all year round even when there are no cubs and it is the call which produces the best results. Try it and let us now how you get on.?

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Honestly it works , some people get too tied up with this train of thought. I like to make things happen , if your 1st call isn't producing just mix it up . I have seen me calling for ages then just change call and immediately there's a fox , I think it's just a matter of finding which call they like on the night. I mean vixen mating call last night produced a vixen .....territorial reaction. I use the cub call all year round even when there are no cubs and it is the call which produces the best results. Try it and let us now how you get on.?

I will do , cheers . You are never too old to learn new tricks . I guess I’ve just been stuck in my ways . 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Any links to were i can download the cubs call Foxhunter?

I set up my icotec out in a field a while back , with the idea that I could return to it without having to walk out in the field . I could have a check around the chicken farm and then just sneak back and turn on the caller . 
             I was walking back to where I set up the caller and could hear magpies chattering..... in the dark , when you hear magpies normally you think Charlie is around. I checked with the thermal and there was a fox headed straight to the caller . I realised that I must have nudged the button on the remote, and turned on the magpie call . It worked on Charlie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Blooming eck lad.

Don't worry about the rump shot. He'll be dead by now.

Yeah it's unfortunate and we all do our best to ensure every single shot is humane, but unforseen circumstances happen occassionally. As Sausage says with expanding ammo, it's probably dead as it would have probably bled out very quickly.