Lets see them old fashioned whippet/collie ferreting dogs

4 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

I put the post up as a nostalgia thing really as they were the only type lurchers around our way at the time , its not a competition about what x is better than another  nowt wrong with beddy crosses or i wunna have one myself but at the time most rabbiting lads i doubt would ever heard of one let alone seen one ?

I don't know what area you are from mate. around here when we were kids beddywhippets have always been popular along with Russel x whippet and fox terrier x whippet. bull x whippet were used as well but I am talking Stafford x whippet. not pit.i haven't got a clue what a pit is really ?. collie cross was non existent really. 

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in the day,..we used whatever jukel that was available...they had to work,...we made them work....it was emotional... Nowadays,  we breed what we want from a massive gene pool,...the hunting

First cross collie whippet 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, fred90 said:

I don't know what area you are from mate. around here when we were kids beddywhippets have always been popular along with Russel x whippet and fox terrier x whippet. bull x whippet were used as well but I am talking Stafford x whippet. not pit.i haven't got a clue what a pit is really ?. collie cross was non existent really. 

Think it may have been what was available fred remember folk didnt travel far back then , we maybe one of the largest agricultural countys so obviously there be plenty of collies about ?

• Like 1

The best type of lurcher is one filling the pot no matter the x ?

i don't really remember any one type more than another when I was young lad .most of the juckels my lot had was lurcher x lurcher .they was all kinds in the mix but all had one thing in common they earned there keep .

• Like 3

Back in the day,..we used whatever jukel that was available...they had to work,...we made them work....it was emotional...

Nowadays,  we breed what we want from a massive gene pool,...the hunting life is so much easier..?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 11
4 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Back in the day,..we used whatever jukel that was available...they had to work,...we made them work....it was emotional...

Nowadays,  we breed what we want from a massive gene pool,...the hunting life is so much easier..?

_K1A7361.jpg

Shame the bedlington terrier aint the shame 

On 22/09/2020 at 20:20, fred90 said:

Only one i knew did russel /  whippets was owd bert gripton although he was a terrierman he also had a keen eye for a whippet , in fact my last bitch had his lads whippet in her mix

2 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

Only one i knew did russel /  whippets was owd bert gripton although he was a terrierman he also had a keen eye for a whippet , in fact my last bitch had his lads whippet in her mix

I think he bred a few whippets as well. 

what I like about the terrier x whippet is as a general mooching dog they have that never give up attitude. whether it's working a water logged ditch, a thick bramble, standing corn, hedge bottom etc, it keeps at it wether it's a rabbit, pheasant, squirrel etc. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, fred90 said:

what I like about the terrier x whippet is as a general mooching dog they have that never give up attitude. whether it's working a water logged ditch, a thick bramble, standing corn, hedge bottom etc, it keeps at it wether it's a rabbit, pheasant, squirrel etc. 

Fred i agree i have beddys and beddy lurchers myself , my point was folk didnt travel like they do now so used what was at hand and some v were very handy little dogs at that , not forgetting a.  Well bred whippet aint no slouch and put a good days work in 

2 hours ago, fred90 said:

I agree, but in regards to whippet crosses in general. What gets me is that the people who like whippet crosses like the elements you've outlined above but then threads like this always end up with additional comments of, "Yeah, you're right...but they'd be better with some greyhound blood too."

I got my collie x whippet umpteen years ago after hearing someone raving about a bloke near me who had a collie x whippet which had the attitude you're referring. By the time I met the guy his lurcher was no more and he was now into big deerhoundy types. I met him while he was out with two friends of mine who also had big deerhoundy and greyhoundy types. They were all laughing at my tiny bitch for showing so much attention to a patch of tussocky grass about twenty feet by ten while theirs were all bushing in a patch of gorse alongside it. Lo and behold she put up a rabbit from the middle of the rough grass and there was nothing in the gorse. Boy did I feel proud

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Neal said:

to me that's exactly what they are bred for. I know greyhound blood would produce a better runner but I don't really need a what I call a running dog. I see little whippet crosses as mooching, marking, hunting dog's. mine catches rabbits usually short 20 yard dashes or just out of cover. she regularly puts up the big rabbits manages to get one turn then it's away but it's no bad thing. 

• Like 1