Lets see them old fashioned whippet/collie ferreting dogs

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Back in the day,..we used whatever jukel that was available...they had to work,...we made them work....it was emotional... Nowadays,  we breed what we want from a massive gene pool,...the hunting

First cross collie whippet 

Posted Images

When i started out these little pocket rockets were what everyone in our area used all looked like well built whippets with only the odd few with broken coats  , i say collie but could av been any cur in the mix but all were similar.build and all did there job be it ferreting bushing and ratting  , when the gene got small think they must have just kept goin back to who ever kept whippets as folk didnt travel far then not even to work , anyone out there still keep these little rockets excluding beddy crosses as they have seem to have taken there place i know coz i got them aswell ? 

Don’t understand why there aren’t more collie whippets bred, to many people obsessed with bull blood. In a rabbiting dog (which is all we can legally do!) just no need for bull blood, I have always wanted a 3/4 whippet collie but whenever I have been in the market for a dog they just aren’t available...anywhere! Got an absolute cracker of a dog whippet at the moment and in time I may try to find him a collie bitch or a collie/whippet. 

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

Don’t understand why there aren’t more collie whippets bred, to many people obsessed with bull blood. In a rabbiting dog (which is all we can legally do!) just no need for bull blood, I have always wanted a 3/4 whippet collie but whenever I have been in the market for a dog they just aren’t available...anywhere! Got an absolute cracker of a dog whippet at the moment and in time I may try to find him a collie bitch or a collie/whippet. 

what do you think a collie x whippet will be better at than a bedlington x whippet? first cross or three quarter? 

51 minutes ago, fred90 said:

what do you think a collie x whippet will be better at than a bedlington x whippet? first cross or three quarter? 

I have owned beddy whippets and worked with other people’s and also seen collie greyhounds work etc and just feel the collie x’s have a bit more bid ability and intelligence than the beddy’s. My beddy was a very intelligent dog mind and I would 100 percent own another in a heart beat I just always fancied a collie x whippet. I think either beddy or collie x whippet are fine rabbit dogs, personally not a fan of the bull x for rabbits though. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv had both terrier crosses an herding type crosses an there ain’t a better type lol??? can’t belie anybody would even ask that question, yet it pops up all time on here

what you saying katchy?. there ain't a better type than the herding type? 

I put the post up as a nostalgia thing really as they were the only type lurchers around our way at the time , its not a competition about what x is better than another  nowt wrong with beddy crosses or i wunna have one myself but at the time most rabbiting lads i doubt would ever heard of one let alone seen one ?