Hi lads , Been fishing years , known plenty of lads who hunt always interested in it , got a dog two weeks a back a saluki whippet , fathers of bog warrior coursing bitch in uk , mother full whippet .

Hoping to use my dog for hunting when it gets to 10 month mark , lamping rabbits mainly . Just looking for tips on training. Never owned a dog so hard to train , still very intelligent though . Anyways , any advice you can give on teaching her to lamp , and what stuff I should invest in would be appreciated So many different lads saying work them off lead on lead you need this collar and that etc , 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get ya dog and lamp. Walk wherever you want to walk if you think it’s a decent spot and your dog should learn you as much as you’ll learn him. I never new fuckall about lamping really I’d been out dow

Get a lamp an get the dog out if it’s old enough an has some basic training. take what people say on here with a pinch of salt.only thing I’d say is don’t expect miracles an expect the dog to be takin

Far too young to be running anything other than a ball and only gently till she's at least 9 months then nothing much tbh, as well as being too young physically she'll be too young mentally. Plen

Why are you getting into the game now mate when it’s f****d if I was you I would keep to ya fishing,unless you know someone who lamps then just go out with them so you don’t need a dog and share the quarry.Belive me you will get some of the idiots will tell you this that and the other but good luck I feel sorry for you.

• Like 2

get the pup out and put the basics in like wait ,come etc and make everything a game and your pup will soon get hang of it ,it's all about bonding with each other .

once you got recall sorted then think about lamping ,it's not rocket science ,find rabbits shine a light and slip ya dog ,once dog got rabbit flick light off . 

As for those saying why you want to work a dog ,well you could ask the same !  it's no ones business but yours .

like been said purdys progress by Dave sleight good videos and well worth watching ?

Edited by Moocher71
  • Like 3
On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 02:15, Saluki x Whippet said:

Hi lads , Been fishing years , known plenty of lads who hunt always interested in it , got a dog two weeks a back a saluki whippet , fathers of bog warrior coursing bitch in uk , mother full whippet .

Hoping to use my dog for hunting when it gets to 10 month mark , lamping rabbits mainly . Just looking for tips on training. Never owned a dog so hard to train , still very intelligent though . Anyways , any advice you can give on teaching her to lamp , and what stuff I should invest in would be appreciated So many different lads saying work them off lead on lead you need this collar and that etc , 

Get the mutt knocking over a few day time bunnies,when it gets accustomed to the thrill of the chase and catch then get it used to the lamp.There are a multidude of lamping outfits readily available and most of them are suitable.Its then a case of educating the owner,then the dog,to the nuances of the lamp.Its far easier to get a leg on the ladder with a more educated lamper giving you a few trips and tips,if that's not possible then its a case of lamp and learn.

On 20/09/2020 at 02:15, Saluki x Whippet said:

I'm in the same boat as you mate. I run him in the morning and now it's dark he gives chase to anything he sees whether it be deer, squirrel or a fox. I carry on running as his recall is good and nobody is about in general.

He might be shit as he doesnt seem to have caught anything got nutmegged by a squirrel and ran passed a cat that was a yard away from him, not that I'd want him to nail the cat. I had high lumen head torch on so I could see its eyes far off. I was glad cause i reckon hed go straight through it

It seems to scratch his itch, however I've often wondered what it would be like on a proper hunt I've got him fit same as the whippet I had before.

I'm not much of a night owl though

Get the dog so its your mate and has manners and take it lamping if you want a lamp dog. Personally I like to start its work at night, if thats its intended game. Tug train as a pup, get it retrieving and good recall, and then get it out catching stuff and the rest will mostly follow. Don't go lighting stupid stuff up, dont keep light on if its missed or pissing about, and dont lose your cool!

• Like 2

Looking for some advice on getting a lamp. What's the best to get or starter one not to cheap either.

Thinking of going out 4am I've identified some fields I'm gonna try.

What's the crack with leaving a fox  carcass on land is this a no no ? If so where do you dispose side of road ? 

I've never done it but been thinking about doing it for years an itch I've got to scratch and I may not like the killing of a fox as I'm not eating it, but I love watching him chasing one in the park early morning as I'm not deliberately on it.

Would have no problem with the rabbits as they'd be eaten when I learn how to skin them. Any advice appreciated thanks

5 minutes ago, Redace said:

Looking for some advice on getting a lamp. What's the best to get or starter one not to cheap either.

Thinking of going out 4am I've identified some fields I'm gonna try.

What's the crack with leaving a fox  carcass on land is this a no no ? If so where do you dispose side of road ? 

I've never done it but been thinking about doing it for years an itch I've got to scratch and I may not like the killing of a fox as I'm not eating it, but I love watching him chasing one in the park early morning as I'm not deliberately on it.

Would have no problem with the rabbits as they'd be eaten when I learn how to skin them. Any advice appreciated thanks

You won't be leaving a fox carcass unless you have a gun will you?

1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Foxes are illegal now mate unless your tracking or flushing them with the dog, rabbits are alright to crack on with an after you’ve flushed or tracked the fox then just dispose of it discretely in a hedge or summat out a sight, jist use common sense an buy a halogen  striker an a decent battery don’t buy them cheap led shite?

Thanks for advice and I'll have a look online for one of those lamps

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Lads a newbie an I sure he meant after it had been flushed an shot or shot an tracked ?

hes got the wrong cross  ,for charlie  he really needs a befdi    whippet  ,they good on reds  aswell i hear ?