Rifle bags

What are people using for carrying their rifle in? I’m after a bag or case to take my rifle that has a scope with a small torch on top. I also have a T8 mod on the same rifle.  At the moment I’m making do with an airgun bag that’s just enough to cover the rifle and gets me to the car unnoticed but it doesn’t zip all the way up. I need something that will take the rifle with all the gear on comfortably and protect it. It’s the same with my rimmy with bipod on. Gone are the days when I could visit a local gun shop to look what’s suitable as they’ve all closed. Be good to get some recommendations before buying on line, thanks 

My .243 travels in a nightmaster bag, well padded with a big accessory pocket on the side, cost about 100 quid, my rimmy’s travel in a Swiss arms bag, with two big square pockets and rucksack straps, no padding on this one but at about 20 quid off evilbay who cares, both are big enough to carry the rifles with all the kit on

C3D86C98-573C-4CF5-A071-BB162B454FDD.jpeg

E0B52697-A185-44A2-BE5C-3498ECBBE713.jpeg

23512507-5DDA-40D1-ACB3-3A0045A227FE.jpeg

• Like 1

I use a BSA air rifle bag which will take my rimfires with full Nitesite nv plus nv rangefinder all fitted along with a Wildcat mod fitted to the Tikka and seperate on the wmr. very well protected and zips up using two zips with all the gear on,  good thick padding and decent pockets, the largest will take an A4 size items.  They are available in three different sizes and I use the middle size for air rifles with nv  etc fitted and the larger one for rimmies.  At £40, it is a sound item also comes with rucksack style straps to aid carrying.

https://www.uttings.co.uk/p102941-bsa-rifle-backpack-43-inch-730/#.X2c0FqjYrrc

Hope that helps

Phil

• Like 2

I have numerous slips and leather leg O mutton bags for my shotguns and rifles but to be honest I don't used them much if at all when I take a rifle out night shooting.  I just plant the rifle on the back seat and go. I've never had any problem with this. It doesnt look like those bags pictured above have ever seen any mud or blood.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Meece said:

I have numerous slips and leather leg O mutton bags for my shotguns and rifles but to be honest I don't used them much if at all when I take a rifle out night shooting.  I just plant the rifle on the back seat and go. I've never had any problem with this. It doesnt look like those bags pictured above have ever seen any mud or blood.

It’s just to get the rifles to the car and when I’ve finished, to tidy and cover up all my gear. I stop sometimes on the way out or back and it’ll just stop people noseying. I won’t be using it to lie down on to shoot. Keeps the neighbours noses in place as well ?

• Like 1

I use mine just for transport as I travel far and wide and the police don’t like seeing just laid on the back seat, once I get to where I’m going it’s out the motor or in the footwell, you’ll never see any mud on mine because I’m far to knackered to be laying on them, I’d never get back up ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
4 hours ago, Meece said:

why would they... who walks round a field with there gun in a bag mopping up blood with it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
15 hours ago, Meece said:

With regard to transporting guns, the inside of a vehicle is classed as a public place when the vehicle is in a public place.

1 hour ago, Dervburner said:

With regard to transporting guns, the inside of a vehicle is classed as a public place when the vehicle is in a public place.

You are right.  I really should get some sort of big rifle drag bag . Or one of those big flight cases . I’ve got shotgun slips and rifle slips and even a plastic rifle case . But not found anything suitable for the digisight. . I’ve always thought it a bit of a grey area with regards to transporting guns . You can for example drive on a road between fields when out performing pest control with the gun in the vehicle out of a slip . 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

You are right.  I really should get some sort of big rifle drag bag . Or one of those big flight cases . I’ve got shotgun slips and rifle slips and even a plastic rifle case . But not found anything suitable for the digisight. . I’ve always thought it a bit of a grey area with regards to transporting guns . You can for example drive on a road between fields when out performing pest control with the gun in the vehicle out of a slip . 

Yerr, you’ve got to be careful as it would be possible to lose your tickets for what might be a relatively small oversight.

There are virtually no plod out on patrol but on the odd occasion  ( when we are at the burger van refilling for a whole night session) they have been drawn to the muddy hilux like moths to a light. The rifle has been on the top of the dashboard.!!  Never a comment about the rifle.! Just about how we should clean the windscreen.  Alĺ the kit gets covered in mud and blood and wheat and feathers, or in the summer it's a good coating of dust. Especially when your on the back of a quad.   Sometimes the back of us is covered by the following cloud of dust.  It's just the nature of the operation. You dont have to lie on the kit and the dogs have a habitat of making everything covered in mud. I have even seen blokes hose guns down . Sacrilege I  know but there you go.