Dog Crate ~ Of The 'Holding Cell' Level?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was quoted £500 to do some welding on my jimny by a garage. I thought feck that I will weld it myself.so bought a welder and a bottle of gas and cracked on.im a welding virgin myself.but practice on

A buggered one.

Cheers.

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I soldered once at school?

Yeah. So did I! ? Or was it Brazed? Or Welded? Or 'Just Wasted Every Bodies Fukking Time'?

I remember a candle holder. A blow torch. Flux. And endless repetitions of utter futility. Fukking Hate metal work with a vengeance. But, then; I'm useless at carpentry too!

What I Really, Seriously fukking Despise though, is standing around like a useless prick. Whining that I can't do something. While every man around me has been doing it since they were fukking ten years old!

Learn a third language? Errrr .... Not at This stage in the game! Master an instrument like Tina S? We think not! But, fukk it, if I can't learn to just stick two bits of steel together?

And that's all I want. I don't care how shitty my work may look. Just bog practical will do me :)

I'm definitely up for this! :D

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I’m the same if I think somebody taking piss I’d rather do it meself ? I been spoilt for years tho as I got mates who are brickies an welders, joiners an sparks in family an a father in law who is a proper jack of all trades so iv not had do nowt for years ??? but o started learning few bits an bats over last year or so an I’m actually not to bad at making a mess but shite at everything else ? I’ll keep trying tho unless it’s important then it’s call a favour in. Or heaven forbid open the wallet, or wife’s purse I should say ?

A mate in Wales is a good welder he done little bits for me before.

But I'm living in Shropshire now and have turned into dean no mates ? so best thing is do it myself.a welder is a handy bit of kit though.

I removed the back seats in the jimny put a  ply floor in and put a mesh panel behind the seats  I removed the rear roof handles and welded L brackets to the mesh and bolted into 1 of the roof handle threaded holes.its solid now.

Another idea I've got and without a welder I simply couldn't do it.ive got a concrete section garage and want to put shelves up but fixing brackets to the concrete slabs in near impossible.so the plan is there are round metal disc shaped discs about 3' rounds holding the sections together.so the plan is to weld metal L brackets to them discs for shelving. Many a use for a welder.get 1 yourself you will be surprised at the uses you will have for it...

18 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Mesh panels drilled and bolted together ?

Could do, Gnash. But, it wouldn't - I'd have thought? - have the strength of mesh welded to a welded frame. Then, bolt Those panels together?

Mmm. You've got me thinking now. Flat steel? Very wobbly. And how would ye bolt them anyway?

Angled? Great for welding meshes to. And together. But, I envision a solid, welded object resulting?

Square tubular sounds the dogs! Weld the mesh to it. Drill it. Bolt shit together! Costly. But, I'm just thinking out loud here. On the hoof. Throwing shit out there to see what comes back.

4 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Could do, Gnash. But, it wouldn't - I'd have thought? - have the strength of mesh welded to a welded frame. Then, bolt Those panels together?

Mmm. You've got me thinking now. Flat steel? Very wobbly. And how would ye bolt them anyway?

Angled? Great for welding meshes to. And together. But, I envision a solid, welded object resulting?

Square tubular sounds the dogs! Weld the mesh to it. Drill it. Bolt shit together! Costly. But, I'm just thinking out loud here. On the hoof. Throwing shit out there to see what comes back.

Another super strong mesh panel type material.is galvanised walkways have a look on the selling sites local to you it can be bought for a good price and that stuff would literally hold a tiger in.

6 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

I was thinking of the 10 guage stuff you use for kennel runs 6 x 2 mostly aint it....its already welded to the frame so just drill the frames together......nuts and bolts got to be easier than all that welding caper surely.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

I was thinking of the 10 guage stuff you use for kennel runs 6 x 2 mostly aint it....its already welded to the frame so just drill the frames together......nuts and bolts got to be easier than all that welding caper surely.

If strength is needed then these walkways would be stronger than any purpose made weld mesh dog panel.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352638664683

Is that what he's doing, now he's stopped dodging knickers? :D

Terrible sizes at heart stopping prices, King! And, how would I put them together? Weld them?

Okay, lads. This thread's starting to morph. Let's keep in mind here that I A/ Have to isolate a dog like you'd do Hannibal Lektor. But, only for a few weeks of the year. Then, I want the cage gone. Ready to be dragged out and dusted off next winter. That's A.

I also now am B/ Fascinated by the prospect of nailing this Welding game! That, of course, will enable me to side step all these fantastically high prices. And produce pretty much what I want.

:o And, jesus christ, it's just hit me! How about fukking Rebar bars??? Cheap as shit. Not many dogs gonna get through That shit!

11 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Is that what he's doing, now he's stopped dodging knickers? :D

Terrible sizes at heart stopping prices, King! And, how would I put them together? Weld them?

Okay, lads. This thread's starting to morph. Let's keep in mind here that I A/ Have to isolate a dog like you'd do Hannibal Lektor. But, only for a few weeks of the year. Then, I want the cage gone. Ready to be dragged out and dusted off next winter. That's A.

I also now am B/ Fascinated by the prospect of nailing this Welding game! That, of course, will enable me to side step all these fantastically high prices. And produce pretty much what I want.

:o And, jesus christ, it's just hit me! How about fukking Rebar bars??? Cheap as shit. Not many dogs gonna get through That shit!

Those galv walkway panels would bolt together nice and tidy.and a cage made from that would be heavy but last a lifetime no doubt..

8 minutes ago, Balaur said:

If you're doing general fab then get a stick set better job and don't need gas etc.

Just heard back from an online mate. He said Mig needs gas, and gas costs! That also reminded me of my other 'mate', the time served Welder, going on about the trouble He was having getting some gas?

Happens, I have a big bottle of gas here. Another sort, for another purpose. Christ, yeah! The trouble I had finding that! And the Price of it?!

Mate said, of stick: " and to be honest, you'd pick it up pretty quickly. "

Humm. When I get back into town, I'll be making a bee line for that Welding gear section of the shop. Desperately hoping they still have that dinky little machine that comes with its own carry case.

It may well be a pathetic little piece of shit, to a time served professional tradesman. But, if it can manage me this cage? Hell, yeah! :D

1 hour ago, Ken's Deputy said:

BB. Thanks. Now I see what Gnash was getting at! Yep. That's doable.

Only trouble is, I've now Publicly set my heart on getting a welder, and learning to use it! People'd call me a Jacker, if I change from that course now! :D

You could get some 2 x 2 timbers as posts and butt the panels up to them so that no wood is exposed on the inside.....i did something similar about 30 years ago as i cant weld for toffee either !

• Thanks 1