Collie x whippet

16 hours ago, poxon said:

Try a collie beddy mix mate they seem to tick most boxes none of that sensitive collie stuff an no head strong stuff from the beddy it’s a Match made in heaven I can’t see my self going any other way than this cross now mate can be used for a bit of everything an real easy to live with 

Mines bed/whip x collie/grey/whip.....a mix I always fancied. Unfortunately for me I picked the very sensitive one.....lovely bitch mind and she has surprised me how  long she can hold her pace ....only other thing with her is her skin is like tissue.  It’s took years for her to bond with me. I’d have another, but for general daytime mooching  my spaniel x lurcher takes some beating....would knock the socks off most lurchers at hunting up...although she wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea.

Wouldn't mind trying a kelpie whippet.

Edited by Shortstraw

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Skye: Hancock's Tory (Richard Jones x Katie 3/4 Border collie 1/4 beardie) x Liz Tinsley's Mermaid (3/4 whippet 1/4 greyhound)  from the early or mid 90s.

Aye but some say thete to clever for some 

Stop talking German 

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, Shortstraw said:

Mines bed/whip x collie/grey/whip.....a mix I always fancied. Unfortunately for me I picked the very sensitive one.....lovely bitch mind and she has surprised me how  long she can hold her pace ....only other thing with her is her skin is like tissue.  It’s took years for her to bond with me. I’d have another, but for general daytime mooching  my spaniel x lurcher takes some beating....would knock the socks off most lurchers at hunting up...although she wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea.

I had exactly the same problem with Skye, the bitch in the earlier photo. She was only the second lurcher I'd bought as a pup and as my first one was ultra friendly (depite being a half beardie) I fell into the trap of believing that a shy pup would make more of a one-man-dog. She was very much a one-man-dog but she was also highly sensitive, far more than any dog I've had since. She was easily the most highly trained, as a result of this, but her sensitivity meant that she lacked any initiative as she was always too worried about doing the wrong thing. One example that comes to mind was when I was watching Eastenders with my landlord and he swore at Dirty Den...she ran out of the room and hid under my bed for several hours. Like yours she also had bad skin (and feet) despite being half collie. 

Despite all that I was really fond of her but eventually gave her away to a lad who was always asking after her. She just eventually wore me down with the constant need to tiptoe around on eggshells in case I offended her.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Shortstraw said:

Only problem I had with a bitch I bred that I got rid of to a family member to a pet home she didn’t have any bottle for anything more than rabbits an shot hare she was a bad pic of the litter but I had a choice of 2 bitches as I only keep bitches but she was still the better of the 2 as the other was like a little none ped the bitch I got rid of kept getting a recurring foot injury her obedience was out this world I could of used her for competitive obedience but that’s not my thing or I could of used her as a racing bitch but shows are not for me no more she was a really nice bitch if my game was just rabbits she’d of been just the ticket but due to lack of rabbits a out an out rabbiter is pointless the icing on the cake with her was I was out mooching an the white bitch puts a fox up by accident runs it bowls it then jacks by this time my young bitch who was 9months at the time she’s double collie beddy mixed related to the white bitch she clocked what had happened she was quite far a way made the ground up ran the fox an sorted the problem the white bitch was by my side just watching like was up lol that told me all I need to know that day that she wasn’t for me nice enough bitch I loved her an all that she’d been tried a good number of times 

DE5BB9D8-F51E-4547-9118-7762FCA8A169.jpeg

Edited by poxon
  • Thanks 2
8 hours ago, Neal said:

I had exactly the same problem with Skye, the bitch in the earlier photo. She was only the second lurcher I'd bought as a pup and as my first one was ultra friendly (depite being a half beardie) I fell into the trap of believing that a shy pup would make more of a one-man-dog. She was very much a one-man-dog but she was also highly sensitive, far more than any dog I've had since. She was easily the most highly trained, as a result of this, but her sensitivity meant that she lacked any initiative as she was always too worried about doing the wrong thing. One example that comes to mind was when I was watching Eastenders with my landlord and he swore at Dirty Den...she ran out of the room and hid under my bed for several hours. Like yours she also had bad skin (and feet) despite being half collie. 

Despite all that I was really fond of her but eventually gave her away to a lad who was always asking after her. She just eventually wore me down with the constant need to tiptoe around on eggshells in case I offended her.

Think old phil had a kelpie xwhippet called moon nice looking dog

14 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

Think old phil had a kelpie xwhippet called moon nice looking dog

Yeah, my kelpie/collie x greyhound was a cousin of Moon as Moon's dam (Ruby) was the sister of the kelpie x collie that Dave Sleight used for the later litters. I think I've got that right.

2 hours ago, Neal said:

Yeah, my kelpie/collie x greyhound was a cousin of Moon as Moon's dam (Ruby) was the sister of the kelpie x collie that Dave Sleight used for the later litters. I think I've got that right.

I didnt know it were kelpi x till id read on , but it resembled old type whippet/collies but most were black / blue n. White most were kept indoors and would come n go as they pleased but were little demons rabbiting , ratting or keeping cats away from pigeon lofts lol

• Like 1