Thank you Bernard, that was a perfect response. In 15 months I will be the ripe old age of 70 which really makes me rethink my activity, lack of salary and of course my health, which is fine now although the eyes are going and that in itself will prevent me from embarking on 300mt shots.

This year has been a strange one for everyone, during this time I have been changing my shotguns, sub 12 air rifles and much contemplation on my rifles.  As stated before on another thread, the 455wmr is not working for me with the heavy barrel so I am at a point where I want to move the wmr and either go for an hmr or enter the cf sector but the more I ponder, the more I think I am not going to get the most out of cf.

I am going to Forest Lodge on Wednesday with my pal to look at some new Anschutz left hookers they have at good prices but that is for him although I will certainly scanning the shelves to see what there is for me and what sort of deal I can get on my brand new 455 with only 42 shots through it.......................

I am not sure if it is worth bothering to go through the hassle of cf variation even though we have around 9000 acreas to shoot on,,,,,,,,,,,the jury is out, I am getting brain ache, time for a coffee and some buns while my wife is out.

Phil

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Going buy an old 22 to do up he said! Only going buy 200 rounds he said! 600 rounds later, A-tec wave mod and a new cz 457 my wallet goes into meltdown!! What a nice little rifle though

Well I'm amazed by this little 457. I was shooting shotshell cases at 100 paces with it off hand. I used a few ammo types including Remington yellow jackets and they all connected with regularity

The 457, happily bringing squirrels together in peace ?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, philpot said:

Thank you Bernard, that was a perfect response. In 15 months I will be the ripe old age of 70 which really makes me rethink my activity, lack of salary and of course my health, which is fine now although the eyes are going and that in itself will prevent me from embarking on 300mt shots.

This year has been a strange one for everyone, during this time I have been changing my shotguns, sub 12 air rifles and much contemplation on my rifles.  As stated before on another thread, the 455wmr is not working for me with the heavy barrel so I am at a point where I want to move the wmr and either go for an hmr or enter the cf sector but the more I ponder, the more I think I am not going to get the most out of cf.

I am going to Forest Lodge on Wednesday with my pal to look at some new Anschutz left hookers they have at good prices but that is for him although I will certainly scanning the shelves to see what there is for me and what sort of deal I can get on my brand new 455 with only 42 shots through it.......................

I am not sure if it is worth bothering to go through the hassle of cf variation even though we have around 9000 acreas to shoot on,,,,,,,,,,,the jury is out, I am getting brain ache, time for a coffee and some buns while my wife is out.

Phil

I hope I'm as active as you at 70 in just another 17years!

I was surprised when you bought a heavy barrel. They really are not necessary on short range rifles with one exception! Handling. If for some reason a a heavy barrel aims well off hand ( like my 452 HMR) it's worth it in my book but it's not a rule. I've had rifles with pencil barrels aim off hand just the same.

Most shoot off a rest of some kind today so any weight barrel is going to do. So may as well carry something comfortable in the first place.

Atvb.

B.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I hope I'm as active as you at 70 in just another 17years!

I was surprised when you bought a heavy barrel. They really are not necessary on short range rifles with one exception! Handling. If for some reason a a heavy barrel aims well off hand ( like my 452 HMR) it's worth it in my book but it's not a rule. I've had rifles with pencil barrels aim off hand just the same.

Most shoot off a rest of some kind today so any weight barrel is going to do. So may as well carry something comfortable in the first place.

Atvb.

B.

I have a weakness in the left arm of late which can be an issue.  I took out the Tikka .22lr, no problem to hold for free hand shooting but when I did the same with the wmr, I really struggled to hold it.  I was clay shooting at Olympic Trap yesterday with no probem and on the sporting layout because you are moving which I seem to have no issues but the wmr is just too heavy for my left arm,  a bugger really as the Boyds stock has a great feel.

It was a mistake and I think to be honest my shooting buddy and myself were looking a while before we found two nice wmr rifles, mine being a brand new 455 plus the laminated stock.  I am looking at a Sako Quad hmr which of course would allow me to get a wmr barrel if I so wished.

Phil

• Like 1
17 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

Good stuff Bernard. Big sigh of relief getting your boots on familiar soil. 

Cracking rifle choice. I had a go with 457 royal in HMR absolutely spot on in every way.

Except it's a HMR! ? 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, philpot said:

I have a weakness in the left arm of late which can be an issue.  I took out the Tikka .22lr, no problem to hold for free hand shooting but when I did the same with the wmr, I really struggled to hold it.  I was clay shooting at Olympic Trap yesterday with no probem and on the sporting layout because you are moving which I seem to have no issues but the wmr is just too heavy for my left arm,  a bugger really as the Boyds stock has a great feel.

It was a mistake and I think to be honest my shooting buddy and myself were looking a while before we found two nice wmr rifles, mine being a brand new 455 plus the laminated stock.  I am looking at a Sako Quad hmr which of course would allow me to get a wmr barrel if I so wished.

Phil

If it’s for foxes Phil, the hornet hits with much more authority than the magnum rimfires. Great for most vermin really, if you’re shooting rabbits though, and you want to eat them, head shots only of course?. Lovely calibre imo. If you’re going to be shooting mostly 150 yards or less, the hornet is plenty really, and a relatively quiet report.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well I'm amazed by this little 457.

I was shooting shotshell cases at 100 paces with it off hand. I used a few ammo types including Remington yellow jackets and they all connected with regularity. 

I took a grand walk and shot nothing but wow, I stumbled on a Fallow buck. It was bedded just below me. I only had to wait five minutes for the swirling wind and he stood up and stood broadside for 60+seconds. It would of made a simple shot at less than 50yds!

IMG_20200919_174531_613.jpg.bbc4fe6bb2225e4a8e1267970ae3839b.jpg

Don't you just love this time of year.

• Like 8

nice little rifles those cz,s.had a annie 1417 myself and could hit coke cans at 100m standing myself with it.fecking idiot sold it.only .22lr left is my tippman and as much as i enjoy it i want another bolt action and am going to get a sako this time around.have done the same thing going into a gunshop to buy a silencer and came out with a new browning maxus .

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dervburner said:

If it’s for foxes Phil, the hornet hits with much more authority than the magnum rimfires. Great for most vermin really, if you’re shooting rabbits though, and you want to eat them, head shots only of course?. Lovely calibre imo. If you’re going to be shooting mostly 150 yards or less, the hornet is plenty really, and a relatively quiet report.

I was talking to a mate this aft that uses a 6.5creedmore for his foxing but I knew he’d bought a 17 hornet, asked him how he’s getting on with it and his face started beaming, he loves it and has had a fair few foxes with it at decent ranges.. he’s only using 20gn bullets as well wich is mint considering it’s a windy old hole we live in!

on subject of sd’s new .22 I had hold of one the other week, couldn’t believe how well made it was for the price, nice tight bit of kit?

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, si brown said:

I was talking to a mate this aft that uses a for his foxing but I knew he’d bought a 17 hornet, asked him how he’s getting on with it and his face started beaming, he loves it and has had a fair few foxes with it at decent ranges.. he’s only using 20gn bullets as well wich is mint considering it’s a windy old hole we live in!

on subject of sd’s new .22 I had hold of one the other week, couldn’t believe how well made it was for the price, nice tight bit of kit?

The rifle or SD? ?

• Haha 3
On 18/09/2020 at 20:06, Sausagedog said:

The squirrel by the way was carrying an airgun pellet under his hide and no the worse for it.

IMG_20200918_170243303.jpg.d030afed214aa661dc44c1b736e27257.jpg

Funny int it....the experts keep telling us lead is dangerous. This squirrel was just fine. Mustn't been told about lead I guess.

Looks as if the lead lost a few feet and maybe some pounds. Maybe it had beem dieting.

CZ's can't go wrong. Great gun at a good price. Can always add a Boyds if you're someone who likes wood :) but doesn't like the final finish. :)

Edited by Alsone

No some of you are going to struggle to believe this but this afternoon I had a 200yd ( or so) off hand crow with an old Winchester subbie! Yes sir, straight down the middle!

IMG_20200924_164533571.jpg.39e0dee2baa816b0fadb68d090bbb5f1.jpg

Before that I had a 70yd squirrel off hand to. It's heck of a rifle.

IMG_20200924_124639015_HDR.jpg.3a0399392e5d94ad8afbabae8047b2a4.jpg

I was plinking with it Monday night up to 300yds in a valley of fresh drilled winter wheat so had an idea where to hold over but heck, what a rifle. The trigger is awesome.

Ammo wise I've been fooling with some S&B shorts and they are out! To inconsistent. That's the first ammo I've excluded with this rifle and it's no fault of the rifle.

Thought I should keep you updated on the rifles capabilities ?

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, villaman said:

Have you tried Norma , cci sub and cci segmented, all these work fantastically out of mine , could not get Winchester’s to group in mine 

Not yet mate apart from CCI subs which are good.

These are old Winchester subs. I won't bother with the new ones!

• Like 1