Going buy an old 22 to do up he said!

Only going buy 200 rounds he said!

600 rounds later, A-tec wave mod and a new cz 457 my wallet goes into meltdown!!

What a nice little rifle though. Trigger is adjustable for weight, overtravel and sear engagement. 60°bolt. Whacking good pin strike and very accurate.

Shoots CCI, Federal, Eley and Winchester to similar zero. HV ammunition just shoots a little higher.

A well made solid rifle, just what one can expect from CZ.

IMG_20200918_165857424.jpg.54c32b8db956ac5e1a3bbcdd0fe81511.jpg

The pigeon were taken with shorts by S&B.

The squirrel by the way was carrying an airgun pellet under his hide and no the worse for it.

IMG_20200918_170243303.jpg.d030afed214aa661dc44c1b736e27257.jpg

Funny int it....the experts keep telling us lead is dangerous. This squirrel was just fine. Mustn't been told about lead I guess.

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Going buy an old 22 to do up he said! Only going buy 200 rounds he said! 600 rounds later, A-tec wave mod and a new cz 457 my wallet goes into meltdown!! What a nice little rifle though

Well I'm amazed by this little 457. I was shooting shotshell cases at 100 paces with it off hand. I used a few ammo types including Remington yellow jackets and they all connected with regularity

The 457, happily bringing squirrels together in peace ?

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

Think I need a new rifle ? thinking of swapping my HMR out for a 22 hornet for the geese ?

Just a shame my get up and go got up and left me twenty years ago, time for inspiration again ?

You won’t regret it Gav. I use my hornet more than hmr, better all round imo. 

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

You won’t regret it Gav. I use my hornet more than hmr, better all round imo. 

Yeah I've been thinking about it for a while, just need to go blast all my ammo off first, hate to see it goto waste huh ?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Hornet is awesome. I've had three over the years and I will always have a soft spot for them. It can be loaded very cheap if one desires. Cheap fmj bullets reversed and magnum pistol powders.

279229073_kingston082.jpg.5b3e961fd039e2d4712b1c99145efe5e.jpg

I picked up Remington .22 hornet for £20/box 50. That’s virtually hmr money. Going back to .22rf, which federal .22’s are you using SD? I found the federal classic HV hollow points very good, and only £3:00/box.

Just now, Dervburner said:

I picked up Remington .22 hornet for £20/box 50. That’s virtually hmr money. Going back to .22rf, which federal .22’s are you using SD? I found the federal classic HV hollow points very good, and only £3:00/box.

That's is a good deal!!

These are just HV solids but yes I have tried those you refer to in the past and they were top performers. They reminded me of American eagle which I think was or is made by federal!?

These solids actually group very well indeed.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

That's is a good deal!!

These are just HV solids but yes I have tried those you refer to in the past and they were top performers. They reminded me of American eagle which I think was or is made by federal!?

These solids actually group very well indeed.

I think the HV’s are so cheap because there’s only you and me that buy them SD?

• Haha 1

Novice cf question, is there any advantage using a .223 over the .22 hornet.  I keep seeing the odd hornet up for sale and have wondered if it was worthwhile putting in for a variation to have one but I don't have any idea where these guns fit in the overall scheme of things BUT I do know whenever the subject of the hornet in either 17 or 22 seems to produce fond memories from you lot so lets have some thoughts please,

Phil

Phil, when I was young and dafter I thought bigger is better. Well in many ways it is but also in many ways unneccesary.

Ok a 223 will reach 300yds but it gets stressful, if you miss one, and you will, be it via an obstacle or human error you know you have most definitely educated Charlie.

I found most my fox's in my 20's were up to 200yds with a few 300+. There were some missed ones to. As time went by I just found most were shot sub 100yds.

I had a few slots on my license and usually a hornet was present. It accounted for just as many as the larger rifles I had. It was at one time when common sense was still precedent a favourite roe calibre!

Some belly ache over early barrels being .222"&.223" so you can't use .224" bullets blah blah.... nonsense. I used .224".

Some belly ache over the 1/16" twist. It was never an issue and many barrels today are in 1/14" any way.

Some look at factory data and scoff. Some factory ammo is loaded gentle on account of some really weak actions ( same for 222) but the reloader can boost factory figures easily.

Nowt wrong with hornet.

I could tell of a story that involved something quite big that dropped like a sack of spuds once but I best not....

• Like 5