Semi auto help needed

4 minutes ago, Meece said:

Just read the two previous posts which affect this post............Personally I  wouldn't be keen to take the gun or cartridges to any dealer, ect.  These things have a habit of mysteriously disappearing when handed over to third parties. This is a serious failure of either cartridge manufacture or design.  I don't see how the cartridges managed to develop enough pressure or impact to sheer these off.  The gun development would have been designed to withstand proof+ pressures, so to generate enough power to sheer these off surely the barrel would been bulged or other parts damaged.  Did the cartridges sound loud or show excessive recoil.? I've never sèen or heard of this kind of structural failure.   What make model is the gun.?  How many cartridges has it shot.?    It's funny, Only the other day I was watching a YouTube video of an early pump action shotgun that had a problem with paper cartridges that got damp and were subject to hangfires which exploded in mid air after being ejected. They got over the problem by the recoil setting the action to only pump after a fire.  If the round didn't go off you couldn't pump the action, thus stopping hangfires being ejected to explode out of battery.

The carts did sound a lot louder than the previous shots and there was more recoil. It’s a armsan a612 it was second hand when I got it about 18m ago but was only a few weeks old I got the receipt with it and I’ve put easily 6/7000 shots though it if not more the carts I was using before the gamebore were really old Eley magnum 

Surely it's a metal fatigue issue in the gun rather than a shell issue. I'm pretty sure guns are proofed to way more than the shotshell pressures to ensure a good margin for safety for over pressure situations. That being the case, it would be highly unlikely for the shell to be able to do that. In any case on overpressure, I would expect to see barrel damage / damage to other components. My guess is metal fatigue in a possibly faulty part from the factory. If you were going to claim against anyone, ti would be the maufacturer. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Alsone said:

Surely it's a metal fatigue issue in the gun rather than a shell issue. I'm pretty sure guns are proofed to way more than the shotshell pressures to ensure a good margin for safety for over pressure situations. That being the case, it would be highly unlikely for the shell to be able to do that. In any case on overpressure, I would expect to see barrel damage / damage to other components. My guess is metal fatigue in a possibly faulty part from the factory. If you were going to claim against anyone, ti would be the maufacturer. 

I am not going to try and claim from any one it’s a cheap gun that’s had loads of stick and to be honest has preformed faultless upto now I fact I’ve got two of them there a good cheap gun to use ferreting or out with the terriers ?

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Fellman Mark said:

I am not going to try and claim from any one it’s a cheap gun that’s had loads of stick and to be honest has preformed faultless upto now I fact I’ve got two of them there a good cheap gun to use ferreting or out with the terriers ?

If it's an old well used gun, then chalk it up to wear and tear. Parts do break over time. I've seen plenty of bits break on expensive guns on clayshoots that were a few years old. My guess is it's just fatigued. New part and you're good to go with any shell it's rated for. If you're worried get a dealer to check the proof.

Edited by Alsone
1 hour ago, Alsone said:

If it's an old well used gun, then chalk it up to wear and tear. Parts do break over time. I've seen plenty of bits break on expensive guns on clayshoots that were a few years old. My guess is it's just fatigued. New part and you're good to go with any shell it's rated for. If you're worried get a dealer to check the proof.

Some of you folk just don't understand a thing about firearms at all do you!

It is NOT just metal fatigue.

If old cartridges have been used there could of been a delayed burn. Or partial burn or sometimes what is called a flame out.

The components of the cartridge get forced into the barrel then stop or very nearly stop. The components become in themselves an obstruction all in a nano second. Combustion starts again and a huge pressure is developed causing a failure. The ensuing failure of a component of the gun can not be predicted. In this case it was the lug. It is also possible the barrel near the chamber is ringed and worth close inspection. If so it would help explain what happened.

• Like 2
On 18/09/2020 at 06:53, Sausagedog said:

Most automatic shotguns block the firing pin if 100%lock up is not achieved.

Ordered the part yesterday it came in to the gun shop today after a good look over the gun I fitted the new part and it works spot on again thanks for the input lads ?? much appreciated 

• Like 2
On 17/09/2020 at 21:18, Fellman Mark said:

The carts did sound a lot louder than the previous shots and there was more recoil. It’s a armsan a612 it was second hand when I got it about 18m ago but was only a few weeks old I got the receipt with it and I’ve put easily 6/7000 shots though it if not more the carts I was using before the gamebore were really old Eley magnum 

Glad you got it sorted Mark. When I was a lad, I used to shoot crows with an old bsa single magnum. It was a light gun and my uncle and his mates used to give me eley magnums to use in it. They used to laugh every time I took a shot, and only just managed to stay on my feet?

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Dervburner said:

Glad you got it sorted Mark. When I was a lad, I used to shoot crows with an old bsa single magnum. It was a light gun and my uncle and his mates used to give me eley magnums to use in it. They used to laugh every time I took a shot, and only just managed to stay on my feet?

Some folk are just rotten hey....funny but rotten ?

• Haha 2