Three dog night ( sort of )

Any readers scrolling down and hoping to read about an American 70s rock band will be disappointed, I thought it was a good title for a thread until I was on my way back to the lockup and shot a vixen, ah well three dogs and a vixen doesn’t have the same ring to it , so I stuck to the original thread title . 
              I hope Sausage dog you are having a nice holiday, and that you are taking the opportunity to relax . Sit back , pour yourself a nice cup of tea and let me take you on a virtual night foxing with me . A bit of holiday reading material for you , instead of your worn out copy of Bravo two zero , that you purchased from the local charity shop for 50p. Sit back , strap your safety belt on in the mule and off we go . 
          The wheat harvest here is done and there is only a bit of Maize and some beans to come off . The silage was also cut on Friday and Saturday, so I had a clear run around all the bottom fields . Saturday morning I was at my feed shed on the phone to a mate and looking at the newly mown field in front of me when I heard a commotion, crows and a jay were going mental, it could only mean one thing . I grabbed the .243 and said to my mate “ got to go , Fox “. Sure enough Charlie trotted through the hedge but instead of presenting a good safe shot he stuck to the hedge and walked along past a garden where the occupants were doing some gardening , I think I said “Bullocks “ or something similar. 
          So at dusk last night I knew exactly where I was going to sit and wait for it to get dark . I parked overlooking the cut field and started to scan with the thermal. I thought I could see a heat signature through the hedge and my pulse quickened. It seemed ages and I was losing patience and gave a little mouth squeak, that was enough and out popped Charlie , whomp , down but not out , a second shot to his nut and it was number one down a nice dog fox in good condition , i Mapulatored it and it was 147 meters. 
             I have permission now to shoot on a pig farm down the road . They cut a couple of fields of Maize at the weekend so I thought I’d drive down and have look . Nothing about, but I know this place has foxes , so I set up the icotec 350 in the Maize stubble and waited by the pig sheds . Less than a minute passed and a fox came trotting in , I turned the caller off  and stopped it with an “oi” , thwack , number two . Another dog fox , and this one was in fine condition, looks like he’s been given Salmon oil as he had a coat that a furrier would w@nk over . 
          I went back up the road to the shoot and drove around the silage fields . I tried the caller but nothing showed. I drove around a few more cut fields and saw a fox on the mown grass about 400 meters away , I drove towards it to close the distance, watching it with the thermal as I drove , it heard me and started to make for the hedge , I stopped , got the rifle ready and digisight switched on only in time to see it slip through the hedge . I tried to tempt it back through with mouth squeaks but nothing happened. 
          I did a big circuit of the wheat stubbles and silage fields and was beginning to think I would have to settle for two when I rounded the hedge and slipped through a gap into a small field of stubble behind some houses, a fox was running straight across my path , I swung the mule around and grabbed the rifle , as quickly as I could I turned on the digisight and IR and safety off , it was almost at the hedge , a little lip squeak and it’s curiosity became its undoing, thud . Number three another dog fox and so I said to myself a three dog night , weren’t they a rock band ? I was happy with that and decided that I’d better get home and catch the milkman. I think my Mrs has forgotten what I look like just lately as my nocturnal activities don’t just include foxing at the moment. 
         I thought I would take the long way back to the yard as you never know . I trundled over a cattle grid and into the field where earlier the one had given me the slip . Oh happy days , there it was and it was running towards the hedge again, I didn’t mess about and knew I wouldn’t have much time . I lip squeaked and managed to get it to stop to look over it’s shoulder before disappearing, a mistake a lot of dead foxes make . Thump , the 50grn Vmax .223 it its mark perfectly , right in the boiler room just behind the front leg . It dropped without even a twitch of its tail . A vixen , trust a female to spoil the title I had planned in my head . But I can’t complain. 
             Enjoy your holiday Sausage dog , It won’t be long and you will be back out with fair weather and co . Look forward to some more of your photos and posts . ?

35E1B674-A136-4539-8D6A-EC1F664E1A61.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

??? excellent mate. I could hear the diesel mule motor. The safety catch n everything.

It's not bravo two zero by the way. It's pride and prejudice. It was only 10p!

I hear they are doing some Barbara Cartlands and some Mills and Boon for 5p in the Spastics society, want me to put you down for one ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

What a great night , 1 better than us. I was calling and spotting and my mate  was behind the rifle. 3 in 15 minutes ?

20200913_235824.jpg

That’s a good night by any standards. I always say if you only see one fox and you shoot it , it’s a good night. But seeing them and missing or them not giving you a shot is not so good. 

• Like 2