These ere callers....

The short answer is, no, I’ve called far more with a cheap plastic mouth call, saying that they come into their own during mating because I just can’t make that noise ? I use icotec and the sound quality of the new one is superb but at £240 it not cheap, you can pick an older gc model up for under 100 quid now

• Like 2

I use the icotec 350 and it 100% works. And being remote controlled, you can turn the volume up or down or off or change the call while you are waiting well away. They can’t wind you or sneak up on you as can be the problem mouth calling . Put it this way , I don’t go foxing without it . The way I operate is to drive around scanning, if nothing is about I let the caller work it’s magic , sometimes you have to give it a while, sometimes results are instant. And sometimes you have to admit defeat .

• Like 5

I use a Foxpro and wouldnt go out without it , its brilliant. I would get very few foxes without it as usually blind calling and it sometimes has an instant response sometimes an hour later. The variety of calls is what sets it apart from hand calling etc ....mating calls , cub calls , chicken etc. We shot 3 last night , 2 were called out of a wood using the cub call so to me it's a valuable piece of kit , only wish I had bought it a lot sooner. Also if 1 call isn't working I chop and change and sometimes the response is instant.

I've a GC350. In my very limited experience so far I've found it very hit & miss, certainly no guarantee, as others have said. They are light easy to carry & i hang mine off fence then move away so not calling them straight towards you. Like stav said, I'm hoping it will come into its own come December time. 

• Like 1

A good friend of mine bought an Icotec GC350 and had no success with it at all. Eventually he decided that the sound wasn't realistic enough and bought a foxpro instead, he hasn't looked back since.

Callers are just another tool in the box not some magic that makes it all happen for you. You still have to observe all the rules of fieldcraft and think about which call to use. I have seen idiots put them at the side of them then start calling when it has been obvious any fox approaching would be from downwind and then wonder why they don't kill anything. The caller should be used as not only a call but as a tool to distract the foxes attention away from you. Put it fifty yards or so away so that the fox is fixated on the caller not you. That way it is unlikely to see any movement you make. Also pay particular attention to foxes approaching the caller from downwind as they invariably do, commonsense i know but it is amazing how many people don't. 

• Like 4