Lurchers and Thermal

33 minutes ago, poxon said:

Thermal makes sense if your running dogs on your own somewhere your not meant to be It could be a handy bit of kit to have seeing what gears actually there before flicking a lamp on burning fields down with rays of light also see if people are sniffing about But if you lamp with other people I couldn’t think of nothing more boring than being in the dark most of the night an only switching a lamp on when a runs been picked out for you an dog to run I think half the fun is the handler looking down the beam for a run for the dog 

Couldn’t agree more. For me half the fun is looking for stuff & the excitement when you find it. Those thermals take skill out of it you don’t need to know anything about your quarry anymore just chuck a couple of grand at one of them & you’ll find everything that’s in an area. 

Been sent this pic this morning end of the day they might be a handy bit of kit for lurcher lads but on the whole they want banning before they destroy the countryside

C0B65548-D68C-46D8-B523-F481DE305496.jpeg

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out of curiosity, who decided? 

I got to page 7 then jumped to the this page did I miss anything?

when I was a partridge keeper I used to do ten thousand a year and partridges are in and out the pen in about 12 hours, if you not on your game fox wise your stuffed, I am still on the same land with

Posted Images

For the hunting man and his dog, thermal clearly has its uses. 

Night-time shooting may be good sport but it's not hunting in comparison to a dog picking up it's quarry at the end of the beam instead of a bullet. The two have nothing in common. 

As for the romanticism of roaming the countryside and sending your dog off into the darkness to bring back it's catch without detection to others, unfortunately isn't the world we live in now.  

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

True. But if that photo had three blokes, a few dogs, pile of ferrets and long nets etc etc, they would be THL hero’s. Would they not ? 

Definitely not, still a c*nts trick no matter how you look at it taking that many of anything off 1 spot. Ferrets, dogs, nets etc takes a lot more effort than a .22 with a thermal as well.

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 1
Just now, Shadow100 said:

Definitely not, still a c*nts trick no matter how you look at it taking that many of anything off 1 spot

100% you’re sure that if someone posted that they’d caught a couple hundred rabbits either ferreting or whatever on here - they’d only get negative comments and no one would be praising them ?

Disnt see many negative comments on the lads doing 100+ on the lamp etc.

Just making the point that there are plenty of numbers men on both Sides of the gun / dog divide. 

• Like 4
6 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

100% you’re sure that if someone posted that they’d caught a couple hundred rabbits either ferreting or whatever on here - they’d only get negative comments and no one would be praising them ?

Disnt see many negative comments on the lads doing 100+ on the lamp etc.

Just making the point that there are plenty of numbers men on both Sides of the gun / dog divide. 

They’d get loads of praise definitely but it’s short sighted. Nothing wrong with lads taking a good number 50-100 a few time’s a season but those rifle boys try to do it on every spot they go on.

2 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

They’d get loads of praise definitely but it’s short sighted. Nothing wrong with lads taking a good number 50-100 a few time’s a season but those rifle boys try to do it on every spot they go on.

I do agree with you in many ways mate. It’s the world we live in now though. Most people only do the things they do to make a name for themselves. 

3 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

I do agree with you in many ways mate. It’s the world we live in now though. Most people only do the things they do to make a name for themselves. 

There’s a spot we go on that’s absolutely bursting with certain quarry, we could bag up every time to get the big lined out picture for WhatsApp, but it’s short sighted, if you take a few each time and only go maybe half a dozen times a season then your good spots will stay good, but like you say for some the need to show off takes over.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Wales1234 said:

Rifles absolutely destroy numbers ! Foxing wise they ruined a spot completely it’s no fit and healthy foxes getting away from a bullet , when a good fox beats a dog or hounds you can’t fault it ! 

Foxings just gone completely electronic, you’ve got men sat in a land rover, window down with a fox pro, NV, thermal and rifle. How’s that sporting in any way? 

• Like 4