Lurchers and Thermal

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out of curiosity, who decided? 

I got to page 7 then jumped to the this page did I miss anything?

when I was a partridge keeper I used to do ten thousand a year and partridges are in and out the pen in about 12 hours, if you not on your game fox wise your stuffed, I am still on the same land with

Posted Images

1 minute ago, SheepChaser said:

They are meant to stop folk seeing a big light shining out over all of the fields mapping your route and showing your position? 

I owned lurchers that mapped the fields without any sort of device,plus they had an habit of retrieval that few ever witnessed,because they were lurchers.Its all about devices now to assist shit lurchers.Get yourself out on a frosty full moon in the depths of winter,break ice across rough land and let the mutt earn its corn,it will blend into the night,it will hunt and cover the ground,it will chase,lose and use its snout to reconnect and retrieve.Try it.

• Like 1
Just now, morton said:

I owned lurchers that mapped the fields without any sort of device,plus they had an habit of retrieval that few ever witnessed,because they were lurchers.Its all about devices now to assist shit lurchers.Get yourself out on a frosty full moon in the depths of winter,break ice across rough land and let the mutt earn its corn,it will blend into the night,it will hunt and cover the ground,it will chase,lose and use its snout to reconnect and retrieve.Try it.

That’s great. And very romantic. People probably said the same about lamps. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

That’s great. And very romantic. People probably said the same about lamps. 

I'm not trying to be hard assed on you mucker,im just trying to point you in another direction,apologies.It boils my urine now when folk race towards technology to make up for the duff shit they now accept as lurchers.In my time lurchers did all the work,all the time,all the hours and on all the land.Now they are seen as an addition to the technology,i don,t recognise that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, morton said:

I'm not trying to be hard assed on you mucker,im just trying to point you in another direction,apologies.It boils my urine now when folk race towards technology to make up for the duff shit they now accept as lurchers.In my time lurchers did all the work,all the time,all the hours and on all the land.Now they are seen as an addition to the technology,i don,t recognise that.

So Morton in your time what do u consider the best breed of lurcher to  do what u say

1 hour ago, morton said:

I'm possibly old school in the bigger picture now,in my day I never knew of a lurcher that needed battery operated assistance.I can still remember the acid  motorbike battery and lamps filched off lorries,lamping at its finest and its never been bettered.All ill say is this,the best lurchers now need all the gadgetry available to make them half as good as an average lurcher a few decades ago.

The lads I know who use them, don’t use them to improve the dog. They use them so they don’t get caught coursing as much.. no more striping  a 150 acre field..in and out.. move onto the next. 

• Like 2
Just now, troyboy17 said:

So Morton in your time what do u consider the best breed of lurcher to  do what u say

The best and finest lurcher that ive ever witnessed in the field,day and night,was a collie/greyXsaluki /grey.The best lamping lurcher ive ever witnessed was bred the same way.The only lurcher that matched these was a Collie/grey -Deerhoundy/grey that I owned,the lurcher I owned killed more than both of the others,day and night,they did it with more class.its impossible to equate class unless you see the runs,its impossible to equate runs to the class a deerhoundy/collie offers and id not own anything else.The further and more arduous the gallop,the more difficult the kill,then the Deerhoundy/Collie ran at another level.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, moonlighter said:

The lads I know who use them, don’t use them to improve the dog. They use them so they don’t get caught coursing as much.. no more striping  a 150 acre field..in and out.. move onto the next. 

A proper lurcher courses the land and retrieves to the owner undetected.

• Confused 1
1 minute ago, morton said:

A proper lurcher courses the land and retrieves to the owner undetected.

You’ve not coursed daytime on the fens recently then? If your on the land for any length of time, the police soon arrive... and if your dog is hunting up for hares, 9/10 the hare only gets 10 or 20 yards law.. that’s not coursing in my eyes. 

6 minutes ago, morton said:

The best and finest lurcher that ive ever witnessed in the field,day and night,was a collie/greyXsaluki /grey.The best lamping lurcher ive ever witnessed was bred the same way.The only lurcher that matched these was a Collie/grey -Deerhoundy/grey that I owned,the lurcher I owned killed more than both of the others,day and night,they did it with more class.its impossible to equate class unless you see the runs,its impossible to equate runs to the class a deerhoundy/collie offers and id not own anything else.The further and more arduous the gallop,the more difficult the kill,then the Deerhoundy/Collie ran at another level.

Wouldn't these dogs be to big for small fields yes fine I would of thought for big but are u say just for lamping and not an alrounder would u say to big for ferreting as well

9 minutes ago, troyboy17 said:

Wouldn't these dogs be to big for small fields yes fine I would of thought for big but are u say just for lamping and not an alrounder would u say to big for ferreting as well

The main lamping was always rabbit,if a lurcher failed to adapt to its given environment it was not a lurcher.Ive never seen a smaller lurcher with the same killing aptitude of something a tad bigger.

I had a leupold thermal. Was shite as couldnt identify passed 50 yards. Id like a pulsar but out my price range. I picked up a pard nv019 spotter. Its good n onlypayed 150 for it. Could improve it ten fold with a better ir torch. Just need to mount it onto my lamp as iys hard to hold the nv 210tracer and dog. Plus side to having one is you can spot rifle boys ir lights aswell if u somewhere you shouldnt be. 

22 minutes ago, moonlighter said:

You’ve not coursed daytime on the fens recently then? If your on the land for any length of time, the police soon arrive... and if your dog is hunting up for hares, 9/10 the hare only gets 10 or 20 yards law.. that’s not coursing in my eyes. 

I ran the fens long before plod made a nuisance of themselves,the A1 corridor and my favourite location Pocklington.In all of those locations you dodged plod.If I needed to release a dog on a small slip id have sold it to the gyppo,s

• Like 1

Thermal makes sense if your running dogs on your own somewhere your not meant to be It could be a handy bit of kit to have seeing what gears actually there before flicking a lamp on burning fields down with rays of light also see if people are sniffing about But if you lamp with other people I couldn’t think of nothing more boring than being in the dark most of the night an only switching a lamp on when a runs been picked out for you an dog to run I think half the fun is the handler looking down the beam for a run for the dog 

• Like 2