Lurchers and Thermal

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out of curiosity, who decided? 

I got to page 7 then jumped to the this page did I miss anything?

when I was a partridge keeper I used to do ten thousand a year and partridges are in and out the pen in about 12 hours, if you not on your game fox wise your stuffed, I am still on the same land with

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Westy76 said:

Never read so much crap in my life,my beddy x has probably put more gear to bed on shoot days than most have had lamping all season ??

my dog lamps 5 nights a week on 2 estates with the keepers,ferret and help on a dig,yes he’s gundog trained but only because people said it couldn’t be done and can be called off deer but will get on when required.
here he is in a class of labs as a pup.

7EF79BFE-EDA7-4A81-B487-2789ADF7502A.jpeg

But some think thats not proper lurcher work ? ? Nice bunch ya got there

1 hour ago, two crows said:

nice dogs there mate most people who work dogs regularly and properly on shoots be it beating or picking up only need a steady  dog with good working ability ii do minimal training with mine whistle and steadiness and let the dog work no great  skill needed my  coursing dog can do it lol

Exactly its just basic obidience really what all dogs should have be it a lurcher or pug

3 hours ago, Westy76 said:

Never read so much crap in my life,my beddy x has probably put more gear to bed on shoot days than most have had lamping all season ??

my dog lamps 5 nights a week on 2 estates with the keepers,ferret and help on a dig,yes he’s gundog trained but only because people said it couldn’t be done and can be called off deer but will get on when required.

Thats some graft fair play

4 hours ago, Westy76 said:

That’s impressive if it can be called off deer. The dogs I’ve had that loved the deer game, would leave a hare to chase a deer. I’ve owned a dog that could be called of, but she never really loved the deer. She was chasing them, rather than trying to kill them.. massive difference. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, moonlighter said:

That’s impressive if it can be called off deer. The dogs I’ve had that loved the deer game, would leave a hare to chase a deer. I’ve owned a dog that could be called of, but she never really loved the deer. She was chasing them, rather than trying to kill them.. massive difference. 

I broke him to deer to start with which was relatively easy just approached it the same as any stock but I couldn’t help myself old habits die hard so yes he’ll run them but it’s handy on a shoot day to call off and he don’t scream and shout if he sees them, however the first shoot day 2 seasons ago I didn’t see the roe break other side of cover and he retrieved that one in front of the keeper ??‍♂️
Any lurcher in a beating line must like a ginger as there’s always a shout up and it’s got me some great nights out on keepers land most wont get on.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Westy76 said:

I broke him to deer to start with which was relatively easy just approached it the same as any stock but I couldn’t help myself old habits die hard so yes he’ll run them but it’s handy on a shoot day to call off and he don’t scream and shout if he sees them, however the first shoot day 2 seasons ago I didn’t see the roe break other side of cover and he retrieved that one in front of the keeper ??‍♂️
Any lurcher in a beating line must like a ginger as there’s always a shout up and it’s got me some great nights out on keepers land most wont get on.

One shoot i used do was in deer park and the fallows were mellys some near jet. Black a few times the f1 i had at the times was accussed of running the drive being mistaken for x deer lol  mine av always been steady on deer cant say the same for me terriers tho they often put the bloody things up just out on a walk , we only have fallows on our patch , but got a mate in bucks who over run with muntys goin down for a mooch in nov i not see on before so looking forward to it 

• Like 3
On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2020 at 22:02, moonlighter said:

You’ve not coursed daytime on the fens recently then? If your on the land for any length of time, the police soon arrive... and if your dog is hunting up for hares, 9/10 the hare only gets 10 or 20 yards law.. that’s not coursing in my eyes. 

Not recently,even In my time we had an habit of interrupting a gallop to dodge plod,it was part and parcel of owning a runner then.The art of coursing was the art of being undetected,impossible then,even more impossible now.If it was easier in my time ive nothing but admiration for the folk that take their chances now.

On 18/09/2020 at 18:39, moonlighter said:

I had one like that loved chasing em but wouldn't pull would sometimes. No good to me so she hot rehomed 

If love to see a dog been called of a deer...

8 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

One shoot i used do was in deer park and the fallows were mellys some near jet. Black a few times the f1 i had at the times was accussed of running the drive being mistaken for x deer lol  mine av always been steady on deer cant say the same for me terriers tho they often put the bloody things up just out on a walk , we only have fallows on our patch , but got a mate in bucks who over run with muntys goin down for a mooch in nov i not see on before so looking forward to it 

get ready for them bucks they can be firey little buggers and can damage ya dog. Great sport though