Lurchers and Thermal

34 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

3 or 4 runs and needs a day rest? f**k that! 

Certain types of quarry if your dog had to contend with 4 of them in a morning it would be glad of a rest the next day. Or do your dogs just run flat out 7 days a week all season like most on here? 

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 1

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out of curiosity, who decided? 

I got to page 7 then jumped to the this page did I miss anything?

when I was a partridge keeper I used to do ten thousand a year and partridges are in and out the pen in about 12 hours, if you not on your game fox wise your stuffed, I am still on the same land with

Posted Images

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

We ate a lot hares an bunnies as kids that where caught more with traps an snares than the ferrets we kept for days out, like I say we did have an use big dogs but they weren’t no where responsible for the money an food we had, more for pleasure , atleast that’s how I remember it anyways ?

Out dumgoyne by any chance ?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, poxon said:

It’s like tales of the old poachers on here ?law still classifies poaching as the same thing be with dog or traps....trespass an taking game/hunting with out consent we’ve just moved forward with methods that suits modern time hunting it’s not done as a means to feed a starving family any longer  it’s done as a past time it’s like the use of thermal it’s to aid effectively in the methods used 

You forgot engines ?

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, jackthelad said:

used to get the bus out there me two mates lurchers ferrets and nets used to be lifting with rabbits.... did you used to keep russells mate?

No pal . Always lurchers . We were the same . Bus from castlemilk into Buchanan bus station . Then bus to dumgoyne.  As you say . Lifting with gear . Sir Archibald didn't like me lol

3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Taking birds an fish an ground game by night, using nets an snares am traps, a dog needed fed an was a hindrance to them folk, I came from a family of the, everyday folk in a big city but would travel away orut the estates or salmon rivers to put food on the table an money in the family pot? They had dogs but they weren’t used for poaching they were used for a bit fun at weekend or whatever  out for a run or a few ?

Why would you do that when your om £20 a hour ?

Just now, The drover said:

No pal . Always lurchers . We were the same . Bus from castlemilk into Buchanan bus station . Then bus to dumgoyne.  As you say . Lifting with gear . Sir Archibald didn't like me lol

haha sir archie ffs hope the worms ate that old cnut...wee met a few boys from castlemilk side of the forth and clyde canal one day years ago then again just along from that distillery thats why i asked you keep russells.....the moor up the back of that distillery was good crack like can you mind the keeper wae the 4x4 fiat panda?

3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Taking birds an fish an ground game by night, using nets an snares am traps, a dog needed fed an was a hindrance to them folk, I came from a family of the, everyday folk in a big city but would travel away orut the estates or salmon rivers to put food on the table an money in the family pot? They had dogs but they weren’t used for poaching they were used for a bit fun at weekend or whatever  out for a run or a few ?

And you vote tory ?Short memories lol

3 hours ago, OldPhil said:

? As a youth, I never understood the term poacher,..I thought that anything we could catch from the fields and woods, belonged to the man that took it...

Obviously, as time went by, I learned different...?

Dogs are great for certain tasks, but for ground game,  the wires were always favorite...Rabbits, Hares, Pheasants and Deer all succumbed to the hangman's noose.

Plus factor was, "Ye ain't got to feed a snare"....?

_K1A6960.jpg

Nor a engine 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, jackthelad said:

haha sir archie ffs hope the worms ate that old cnut...wee met a few boys from castlemilk side of the forth and clyde canal one day years ago then again just along from that distillery thats why i asked you keep russells.....the moor up the back of that distillery was good crack like can you mind the keeper wae the 4x4 fiat panda?

100% . His hoose was up the track right behind the distillery.  Was only me and some pals that went there from the milk . Does the name basher ring a bell. And what bit of the canal? . I was always out there as a lad . The fields were great for a run behind the possil loch . But hares crossed the balmore rd . Family from milton?

Never read so much crap in my life,my beddy x has probably put more gear to bed on shoot days than most have had lamping all season ??

my dog lamps 5 nights a week on 2 estates with the keepers,ferret and help on a dig,yes he’s gundog trained but only because people said it couldn’t be done and can be called off deer but will get on when required.
here he is in a class of labs as a pup.

7EF79BFE-EDA7-4A81-B487-2789ADF7502A.jpeg

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, Westy76 said:

Never read so much crap in my life,my beddy x has probably put more gear to bed on shoot days than most have had lamping all season ??

my dog lamps 5 nights a week on 2 estates with the keepers,ferret and help on a dig,yes he’s gundog trained but only because people said it couldn’t be done and can be called off deer but will get on when required.
here he is in a class of labs as a pup.

7EF79BFE-EDA7-4A81-B487-2789ADF7502A.jpeg

nice dogs there mate most people who work dogs regularly and properly on shoots be it beating or picking up only need a steady  dog with good working ability ii do minimal training with mine whistle and steadiness and let the dog work no great  skill needed my  coursing dog can do it lol

• Like 1