Lurchers and Thermal

8 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

Your not alone mate , alot of tossers turn up with unruley spaniels on leads pulling there all the gear no idea plum in mouth owners through the brairs yes we av all seen them  , a well trained poachers dog does a far better job ?

Handy dog on a shoot DF248727-85D3-4846-9CB3-A73A817A9B13.jpeg.728d92e84dc0c64e6e4d96e39d79cf63.jpeg

• Like 1

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out of curiosity, who decided? 

I got to page 7 then jumped to the this page did I miss anything?

when I was a partridge keeper I used to do ten thousand a year and partridges are in and out the pen in about 12 hours, if you not on your game fox wise your stuffed, I am still on the same land with

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Loton Moocher said:

Not all gamekeepers went to snotty fordingbridge high school alot come from humble beginings and leart there trade both sides of the fence ?

what is that mean 99% of keepers are ordinary working lads, and I would not swap one of my cockers for any lurcher on a shoot  day, we all see bad dogs, I seen a lot of disobedient lurchers.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Dogs for jobs comes to mind I don’t see the point of a lurcher on a shoot day, you wouldn’t take a lab or a spaniel lamping, leave the shoots to the gundogs. Just my view we’re all different incase anyone gets offended 

12 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Dogs for jobs comes to mind I don’t see the point of a lurcher on a shoot day, you wouldn’t take a lab or a spaniel lamping, leave the shoots to the gundogs. Just my view we’re all different incase anyone gets offended 

A lurcher is versatile a can do what a gun dog does but a gun dog cant do what a lurcher does ?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

A lurcher is versatile a can do what a gun dog does but a gun dog cant do what a lurcher does ?

A lurcher won’t beat a proper gundog at their job, if they would then shoots would be full of collie & beddy crosses, not spaniels and labs.

Lurchers are for running not picking shot pheasants.

2 hours ago, two crows said:

what is that mean 99% of keepers are ordinary working lads, and I would not swap one of my cockers for any lurcher on a shoot  day, we all see bad dogs, I seen a lot of disobedient lurchers.

true, when i done couple seasons beating at Weston park , there was one bloke who had collie x grey , that was very good at beating, it looked more like pure  collie really, the lad said it had greyhound in it , but  nothing like old bryn as in him he 1x, so it be easy dog to train for beating i reckon. both my dogs are biddable , but there no way in hell could i call Buck off , if a deer or fox  if the got up, he wouldnt stop it till he killed it , or it got away . that lad dog think was just ferrting type dog. And being honest when i was beating , nothing come close to a good trained cocker or springer

My dogs are first and foremost "running dogs", but I used to take my old Beddy type beating and picking up on the shoot.

IMG_0286.JPG.b9ba3c4acd5b731709f7dabbe12e3a70.JPG

Of course she couldn't, and shouldn't, be compared to purpose bred gun dogs, but she did ok and it's nice for a dog to have another string to its bow.

I would have still went beating if they didn't allow lurchers, but they did, and it was fun.......that's what it is all about for me ?

Cheers.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, two crows said:

If you read my post again it says not all , as for the spaniel kickers you get alot of city boys with high payed jobs move the country buy a gun , dog and all the expensive gear and know it all thinking there lord of manor , you would have seen it if your a keeper and you would also know if a lurcher wasnt up to scratch it wouldnt be on the shoot in the first place , i say half my mates are keepers but i never forget where i started.

34 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

A lurcher won’t beat a proper gundog at their job, if they would then shoots would be full of collie & beddy crosses, not spaniels and labs.

Lurchers are for running not picking shot pheasants.

Iv always kept mine traditional and expect them to feed me fur or feather 

38 minutes ago, bird said:

true, when i done couple seasons beating at Weston park , there was one bloke who had collie x grey , that was very good at beating, it looked more like pure  collie really, the lad said it had greyhound in it , but  nothing like old bryn as in him he 1x, so it be easy dog to train for beating i reckon. both my dogs are biddable , but there no way in hell could i call Buck off , if a deer or fox  if the got up, he wouldnt stop it till he killed it , or it got away . that lad dog think was just ferrting type dog. And being honest when i was beating , nothing come close to a good trained cocker or springer

Iv walked many a hedge spaniels have worked in front of me and pushed out birds they have missed   Alot of spaniels can be to quick , iv seen good spaniels especially cockers , but beating should. Be a doddle for a traditional type mooching lurcher as it is just doing its normal job but legally 

1 minute ago, Shadow100 said:

Traditional would be poaching pheasants not beating/picking up 

How you think i learnt lol and as old as am thy still taste nicer when take them from the other side of the fence , and when you drop a bird off its perch at night they can bonce a far way hence a good picking up lurcher ?

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Loton Moocher said:

How you think i learnt lol and as old as am thy still taste nicer when take them from the other side of the fence , and when you drop a bird off its perch at night they can bonce a far way hence a good picking up lurcher ?

That’s what I’m saying traditional lurcher work is poaching pheasants that’s different from picking up on shoot days to help keepers out it’s actually the total opposite of the traditional lurchers job 

1 minute ago, Shadow100 said:

That’s what I’m saying traditional lurcher work is poaching pheasants that’s different from picking up on shoot days to help keepers out it’s actually the total opposite of the traditional lurchers job 

Where else can you take your lurcher poaching get a free breafast a free couple of pints as many pheasants as you can carry and get payed for it ? Lol?

• Like 3