Lurchers and Thermal

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out of curiosity, who decided? 

I got to page 7 then jumped to the this page did I miss anything?

when I was a partridge keeper I used to do ten thousand a year and partridges are in and out the pen in about 12 hours, if you not on your game fox wise your stuffed, I am still on the same land with

Posted Images

2 hours ago, two crows said:

when I was a partridge keeper I used to do ten thousand a year and partridges are in and out the pen in about 12 hours, if you not on your game fox wise your stuffed, I am still on the same land with a few pheasants now, and possibly shoot 6 foxs a season and don't mind one or two about, the thing that pisses me off is the police giving tickets for foxing rifles to joe public with no keepering or farming interests, just for sport fox shooting is not a sport its a job, as for rabbits ive caught thousands ferreting and never whipped a place out yet. there are allot of holier than though people on here the ones that know the least say the most as usual.

As i have a foot in both camps , i must agree far to many firearms certs are dished out these days and to some i wounlnt trust with a catty never mind a f1 its the same old story its who you know ? Theres that many at it now its not safe to be out at night our patch anyway, but with rabbits if you hit them hard enough you dont get the same numbers on the same hedge again , the biggest threat to rabbits nowadays is the rifle and the shear numbers of pigs  which are out of control 

2 hours ago, jcm said:

It's the most boring thing in the world if your out with a mate and there using thermal you just walking about in the dark. 

It's a rifle man's tool. Plus there a fortune. 

Its not so bad if you've both got one but I can see it being shit walking around in the dark while someone else spots

1 hour ago, Loton Moocher said:

As i have a foot in both camps , i must agree far to many firearms certs are dished out these days and to some i wounlnt trust with a catty never mind a f1 its the same old story its who you know ? Theres that many at it now its not safe to be out at night our patch anyway, but with rabbits if you hit them hard enough you dont get the same numbers on the same hedge again , the biggest threat to rabbits nowadays is the rifle and the shear numbers of pigs  which are out of control 

I've ruined places by ferreting before, it takes a long time for them to come back. Same can be done with rifles. Its all about self control and thats sadly lacking in many now. We were all young once though so hopefully they will learn the same lessons 

• Like 2
On 13/09/2020 at 18:46, smithie said:

I think they would be good to have but.. if your a poacher and the police take your dog I would epect the thermal goes as well so maybe spend as little as you can get away with..

true never thought of that, and there not cheap  by all accounts  if you get a good'un,  with my big dog Buck   he kill out  beam quite a lot anyway, so  dont have to scan the field to much , quick on/off  , but suppose they come in useful  though, quick look with the thermal , then slip the dog, like you say good for old poacher like me lol , but suppose  the keepers are using them anyway, so they spot you ,!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Tyla said:

I've ruined places by ferreting before, it takes a long time for them to come back. Same can be done with rifles. Its all about self control and thats sadly lacking in many now. We were all young once though so hopefully they will learn the same lessons 

Not just the young ones plenty older lads out to kill big bags to show off as well 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, bird said:

, but suppose  the keepers are using them anyway, so they spot you ,!

And the shooting farmers.. if rural police dont have them they will once they realise people use them to spot or poach with.

Thermal is not the problem, it peoples greed and the need for the well done pat on the back.

• Like 3

Like i said earlier you have less chance of being spotted in daytime now , i used to do alot of lamping but it was different back then , with so many game shoots in our parts its just to dangerous dont forget them bullets keep travelling if they miss the target and it can be a long way with a triple 2 or a 243 ,

27 minutes ago, Loton Moocher said:

You only av to look at the photos on here to see that , once you hit a place hard its never the same again

we used to take 100 plus in yorkshire week in week out and bring some back for the keeper never made a dent honestly.

4 hours ago, two crows said:

we used to take 100 plus in yorkshire week in week out and bring some back for the keeper never made a dent honestly.

Mite be different then in different parts but places iv hit hard have never been the same again , rifles have defo dented the rabbit population thats for sure , the only places we get any ferreting is where the lazy feckers canna drive 

• Like 1
On 14/09/2020 at 21:04, SheepChaser said:

I hear tell that in times when such things were legal, some keepers didn't mind a handy lurcher somewhere in the beating line for those that went back.

If a lad turned up with a lurcher in a shooting day on some of the estates I’ve been at ver the years it would be pinged 

end of season fox drives maybe but certainly not those  days