Lurchers and Thermal

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out of curiosity, who decided? 

I got to page 7 then jumped to the this page did I miss anything?

when I was a partridge keeper I used to do ten thousand a year and partridges are in and out the pen in about 12 hours, if you not on your game fox wise your stuffed, I am still on the same land with

Posted Images

I can see the benefit. See if being watched bring less attention to yourself flicking lamp round scanning fields. Or road siding. I only really do permission so can’t justify the cost at the moment. But interested to find out what models people recommend as can’t imagine you need something brilliant depends what your doing I suppose 

• Like 1

I couldn't lamp without it to be honest. My eyes were damaged by laser surgery and are utter shit in the dark. I got to the point where i only went out with someone to spot for me before but with the thermal its given me a chance to go whenever I want. They are really expensive but it was worth it for me, what price can you put on doing what you love? I got a pulsar Helion xq38. My mate has an xq19 which they've stopped making and was a lot cheaper. In all honesty I think his is better. Got a lower mag so wider field of view. Mines sharper and you see more detail but I would rather have the wide field of view

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Have u used 1 before like

Never owned one myself but been out with a few lads that’s got them day & night, some people swear by them but I don’t have any use for one. GPS different story I wouldn’t be without it.

Edited by Shadow100
  • Thanks 1

Defo worth the money I use the pulsar can't remember what model it is but it's the cheapest one, I see things through that that I can't see in the lamp, it's perfect for getting hedge side of things without spooking them with the light and also handy to see who's about before u slip 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Shadow100 said:

Never owned one myself but been out with a few lads that’s got them day & night, some people swear by them but I don’t have any use for one. GPS different story I wouldn’t be without it.

Never used either but then I just go for a walk round 

2 hours ago, Neobliviscaris1776 said:

Any thoughts/experiences on using thermal with the Lurchers? Considering the benefits and wether to take the plunge! Also what ones you guys recommend?

Cheers ?

I'm possibly old school in the bigger picture now,in my day I never knew of a lurcher that needed battery operated assistance.I can still remember the acid  motorbike battery and lamps filched off lorries,lamping at its finest and its never been bettered.All ill say is this,the best lurchers now need all the gadgetry available to make them half as good as an average lurcher a few decades ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Depends what you do and where you do it. Quite handy passing through land with no light at all, and being able to scout each field as you walk through it and no one know you are there. Spot quarry, get in position etc and lights only on for a few seconds as you slip the dog. If lamping larger quarry then you’re not Likely to be having huge numbers of runs so very little visual evidence that you’re there. 

5 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Depends what you do and where you do it. Quite handy passing through land with no light at all, and being able to scout each field as you walk through it and no one know you are there. Spot quarry, get in position etc and lights only on for a few seconds as you slip the dog. If lamping larger quarry then you’re not Likely to be having huge numbers of runs so very little visual evidence that you’re there. 

Everything you mention there is everything id of expected from the lurcher,the lurcher was meant to cover all them scenarios on its own merit.

10 minutes ago, morton said:

Everything you mention there is everything id of expected from the lurcher,the lurcher was meant to cover all them scenarios on its own merit.

They are meant to stop folk seeing a big light shining out over all of the fields mapping your route and showing your position? 

• Haha 1