1 hour ago, Greyman said:

Don’t no what a lansky is but unless they are free how can it be cheaper than a scrap of wood ?? 

Don't you have to buy a bench grinder to fit it to and then either switch the motor or guards so it turns away from you rather than towards you? The mdf wheel is the easy bit I'd have thought? I know they work very well but there are simpler ways to sharpen a knife if you are on a budget

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, GruffaloGriff said:

image.png.d2a50bfeeeb65e5a90bf662b1578275d.png

Cost me £25 to build. MORE DETAILS

Griff

That is smart. I suspect you have a fairly well kitted out workshop though and lots of spare bits lying around? That probably kept the cost down. Luckily I have a similar set up and a spare bench grinder floating about too. Have you done a "how to" post anywhere?

1 minute ago, riohog said:

rubish ,the clamp is shite 

I'm surprised, I really like mine. Im terrible on a water or oil stone but can get it as sharp as anything on the lansky. I guess different methods suit different people. What is your recommendation for sharpening? I've seen your knives and they arrive like razors so whatever you are doing works!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Tyla said:

I'm surprised, I really like mine. Im terrible on a water or oil stone but can get it as sharp as anything on the lansky. I guess different methods suit different people. What is your recommendation for sharpening? I've seen your knives and they arrive like razors so whatever you are doing works!

fine ceramic honing rod , it wont sharpen a blunt blade ,but the trick is dont let it get blunt  just maintain the edge :good:

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Balaur said:

So carrying the ceramic at all times, not really practical sharpening , more like a butcher whipping a blade up every few cuts. I've used the lansky and had good results, but as said whatever suits.

i didnt say carry it all the while  ,do you carry a lansky all the while .as i said  maintain the edge !!

7 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Okay but my point is you're honing as opposed to sharpening, and I'm not good enough not to hit a bone or stop cutting once blade goes dull. 

listn pal  you sharpen a knife to a wire edge then hone the edge  ,if the bevell angle is cut correctly  only the edge is sharp not the full bevell , but hey i dont really give a f,,k what you do my mother used the back door step to sharpen knives  and it worked for her all her life ;;:thumbs:

• Haha 4