alarming reaction

Just now, Allan P said:

Just having a laugh mate, you do what’s right for yourselves and the dog. The dog looks in great nick and obviously has a great bond with you. Good luck with whatever way you choose. 

I knew that Allan, nó worries, I'd hate to rehome him and both he and the dog suffered

• Like 1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tell them to put a roof on the kennel run?.  Dogs are adaptable and settle if managed sensibly. 

When I was younger I would give a dog away and just convince myself it would settle and be ok and most probably were, but now I keep my dogs till death,I only hunt now for the pleasure of watching the

Well, the situation is like this, I've refused 5 people the dog, from both here and across the pond, and for strong money too from 2...I had my pick of the litter from 2 weeks old, this dog here was 1

Posted Images

It would be different if he was going down the road or even a drive away but its a bigger issue if the new home goes wrong and you or the new owner got to look at crossing national  borders to get him sorted especially with what that entails at the moment. Would either of you go through a 2 week quarantine to get the dog back home if it didn't work out?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Tyla said:

It would be different if he was going down the road or even a drive away but its a bigger issue if the new home goes wrong and you or the new owner got to look at crossing national  borders to get him sorted especially with what that entails at the moment. Would either of you go through a 2 week quarantine to get the dog back home if it didn't work out?

I won't be sending him on I think, there's couriers involved, and 20 hrs travelling, the dog would be half barmy by the time the new owner gets him, he'd be thinking I was off loading my delinquent on him... My friend that took him here from me said he really went off the rails badly, and that was after only 4 hrs, 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

When I was younger I would give a dog away and just convince myself it would settle and be ok and most probably were, but now I keep my dogs till death,I only hunt now for the pleasure of watching the dogs work so am more forgiving of their faults.I think you look at things differently as you age.

spot on, you deff mellow as you get older, dogs are not worth loosing sleep over,more important things in life, like this feckin virus for one.:yes:

• Like 2
9 hours ago, jigsaw said:

I have a 12 month old kelpie x here ,and i have him promised to a lad in wales..well i was getting work done out the back last week and a lady and her retired husband took him for a few nights just so id have room to move th dogs around while the man was doing his stuff for me,,they collected him at 7 p.m. and off he went ,slightly distressed in the back of the car as he saw me dissapear into the distance ,..At 12.20 p.m. i get woken up from my sleep to a call from them both asking if they could return the dog,as he was gone ape shit in the house.he was running ,knocking things over,whimpering,howling and in a distressed state,they then put him out in the garden to see if he would chill...jumped the firkin 5 ft wall and went missing into the terraces,found him 30 minutes later thankfully, and i struggle to get the b***%*d to jump at times ,,,so returned he was ..and in general hes the most laid back quiet dog ,but he must have suffered from separation anxiety....at least i know someone loves me ,lol ...so im thinking i couldnt send this dog to anyone as theyd either shoot him or boot him out the door,and ive no idea what im going to tell this lad ..

IMG_20200903_182719.jpg

Just tell him the truth and if he's a decent sort he will take it on. Bloody nice looking young dog that.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, trigger2 said:

Just tell him the truth and if he's a decent sort he will take it on. Bloody nice looking young dog that.

trigger hes a cracker if i do say so myself,and hes very fast,but theres no guarantee how he will turn out ,i just hope i can find the time and energy to give 2 kelpie x a bit of sport ,

• Like 1

That's exactly how I feel about my pure one Ned i.e. it's a good job I like him. ?

I've even been seriously thinking of swapping my allegiance to a different breed...after twenty three years! He's a great dog, and I'm constantly being told how amazing he is by strangers but he really is hard work compared to the previous ones. One example which made me think the same thing this morning was that Noggin had a crap on the way to the wood so I bagged it up and crossed the road with them to bin it when I suddenly realised that when I had Rusty, Amber and Scout I'd have simply clicked my fingers to lay them down and crossed the road on my tod and they'd have waited for me. There is no way I'd dream of trying that with Ned. Maybe that's not a great example as leaving your dogs untied next to a road seems a bit foolhardy to most, but it's just one of several things I now find myself thinking, "I'd better not; not with Ned; just in case; I'll leave him behind." I think I've said on her before that he reminds me of Tigger or Buddy from the movie "Elf" as he's so bloody overflowing with positivity and enthusiasm. He's having his 'nads removed soon as, after nearly two and a half years, his second one still hasn't descended. Maybe that'll calm the bugger down.

17 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Made my night reading this ? hell mend you ye fcuker for breeding these fruit bats ?

I been all over the U.K. in past 12 month am can’t get away from mine, she been everywhere with us Cos she can’t or won’t be left, sulks like fcuk even when I leave her in with missus if I’m going out ? 

an I won’t even go into the other problems iv and past couple month ☹️???

all’s I’ll say is it’s a real good job I like the bitch an it not my first rodeo an I can see the end product in there, I think ???

I am sure could make room here for her if your struggling katchum ? . That’s the dog not ya misses ? 

Last week I was walking Noggin and Ned through my local wood and a bloke asked what breed they were. As soon as I said theywere Australian Kelpies he replied, "Ah, the most intelligent breed in the world." 

Maybe your pup is clever enough to know he's better off where he is Jigsaw.?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Neal said:

Last week I was walking Noggin and Ned through my local wood and a bloke asked what breed they were. As soon as I said theywere Australian Kelpies he replied, "Ah, the most intelligent breed in the world." 

Maybe your pup is clever enough to know he's better off where he is Jigsaw.?

He basically is devoted to me, a bit too clingy at times, I will try put some work in front of him and see how it goes

• Like 1
1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv been there house an tasted his wife’s cooking am hospitality, no wonder dog knows where he wants to be ?? id a stayed aswell if given the chance ?

You can come back any time katch, lol... She's out in the kennels most days, I blame her for spoiling the lot of them ??

Can’t personally understand why you would even consider giving the dog up after owning him for a year. Dog is a companion first and hunter second in my opinion, that bond you say you have should stop any thoughts of letting him go. In terms of the dog you are lying to yourself in a massive way if you think sending him to another country is going to be anything other than hugely distressing and upsetting for him even if he does eventually settle with another owner. You buy/breed a pup you should own it for life unless something truly exceptional happens. Hope that doesn’t come across to strong but hate to see good loyal dogs passed around. My opinion only. 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Bobtheferret said:

Can’t personally understand why you would even consider giving the dog up after owning him for a year. Dog is a companion first and hunter second in my opinion, that bond you say you have should stop any thoughts of letting him go. In terms of the dog you are lying to yourself in a massive way if you think sending him to another country is going to be anything other than hugely distressing and upsetting for him even if he does eventually settle with another owner. You buy/breed a pup you should own it for life unless something truly exceptional happens. Hope that doesn’t come across to strong but hate to see good loyal dogs passed around. My opinion only. 

Can see where you’re coming from, and if a dog does nothing wrong then you’re right it deserves a home for life. But if you’ve got dogs to do a certain job & they’re not up to that job, you can’t be expected to keep them. That’s not meaning they should be sold, that should never happen, either pet home or PTS

Obviously that’s not the case with jigsaws as it’s too young to have been tried and tested but I just mean in general the “dogs are for life” thing doesn’t always apply.

Edited by Shadow100
On 13/09/2020 at 00:27, jigsaw said:

The thing is, this dog is obsessed with me, just like his sister is, and I can't say for certain that this lad is ready for the shit holocaust the dog might bring, and possibly upset his other dogs in kennels, my family want me to keep him, and I thing for all parties involved,.. The dog.. The possible new owner and me it may be best if I do,.. 

I gave away a dog when I was younger,very loyal and one man type,I found out later it went crazy and was put down.I wish I had PTS the animal as I couldn't keep him,he was a working dog/whippet type lurcher.Still feel sad about my decision 30 years later.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Bobtheferret said:

Well, the situation is like this, I've refused 5 people the dog, from both here and across the pond, and for strong money too from 2...I had my pick of the litter from 2 weeks old, this dog here was 1st born, a smashing little lad from the moment he opened his eyes, I only intended on keeping one from the litter and told katchum on numerous occasions that I couldn't understand how he was overlooked by everyone that viewed them... The reason I wanted him rehome is that he gets plenty of work and a good owner, I know I will struggle to get enough work for 2,as rabbits aren't as plentiful as they once were, my intentions of rehoming kevlar(the dog pup) was to ensure he'd get the work and lifestyle he was bred for, but it's a done deal now, he's on my team now, he won't be getting exhausted from hunting anytime soon I reckon lol

• Like 8