alarming reaction

I have a 12 month old kelpie x here ,and i have him promised to a lad in wales..well i was getting work done out the back last week and a lady and her retired husband took him for a few nights just so id have room to move th dogs around while the man was doing his stuff for me,,they collected him at 7 p.m. and off he went ,slightly distressed in the back of the car as he saw me dissapear into the distance ,..At 12.20 p.m. i get woken up from my sleep to a call from them both asking if they could return the dog,as he was gone ape shit in the house.he was running ,knocking things over,whimpering,howling and in a distressed state,they then put him out in the garden to see if he would chill...jumped the firkin 5 ft wall and went missing into the terraces,found him 30 minutes later thankfully, and i struggle to get the b***%*d to jump at times ,,,so returned he was ..and in general hes the most laid back quiet dog ,but he must have suffered from separation anxiety....at least i know someone loves me ,lol ...so im thinking i couldnt send this dog to anyone as theyd either shoot him or boot him out the door,and ive no idea what im going to tell this lad ..

IMG_20200903_182719.jpg

Edited by jigsaw
  • Haha 1

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tell them to put a roof on the kennel run?.  Dogs are adaptable and settle if managed sensibly. 

When I was younger I would give a dog away and just convince myself it would settle and be ok and most probably were, but now I keep my dogs till death,I only hunt now for the pleasure of watching the

Well, the situation is like this, I've refused 5 people the dog, from both here and across the pond, and for strong money too from 2...I had my pick of the litter from 2 weeks old, this dog here was 1

Posted Images

Although he may take time to settle with a new owner, he should bond just as strongly with them when he eventually does. What do you expect with this weird breeds?? I mean the greyhound by the way.??

When I met my wife, Rusty refused to even acknowledge she was in the room, one day he suddenly decided, "She's alright this one," and then he was almost as devoted to her as he was to me.

27 minutes ago, iworkwhippets said:

I tell him the truth, I wouldn't part with that dog now

Fair point Keith, these herding type xs, really get a bond to there owner deff, my 2 dogs are very loyal to me, even that big fooker lol, OK he likes all people, but think he play up for quite a while if he went to. Knew home. If the dog goes to knew owner, just give him time to adjust. And if poss get the new owner to spend lot of time with him, maybe keep him inside for 3 week  or more for till settles down. 

When I was younger I would give a dog away and just convince myself it would settle and be ok and most probably were, but now I keep my dogs till death,I only hunt now for the pleasure of watching the dogs work so am more forgiving of their faults.I think you look at things differently as you age.

• Like 11

The thing is, this dog is obsessed with me, just like his sister is, and I can't say for certain that this lad is ready for the shit holocaust the dog might bring, and possibly upset his other dogs in kennels, my family want me to keep him, and I thing for all parties involved,.. The dog.. The possible new owner and me it may be best if I do,.. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, jigsaw said:

The thing is, this dog is obsessed with me, just like his sister is, and I can't say for certain that this lad is ready for the shit holocaust the dog might bring, and possibly upset his other dogs in kennels, my family want me to keep him, and I thing for all parties involved,.. The dog.. The possible new owner and me it may be best if I do,.. 

You know yourself be the sounds on it

• Like 1

I gave a Jack Russell away to a pal of mine years ago and said any problems bring him back. 

Without telling me he had him put down for some silly reason and i vowed i would never get rid of one of 

my dogs again and have not. That was about 42yrs ago. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Allan P said:

Mmmm maybe it’s not just the dog that had separation anxiety ?

Lol, been in the game a long time and been down that road before, I'd rehome him if I thought both parties involved would benefit, can't see any sides benefiting too easy from this, and I could do with one less to be honest... 

Edited by jigsaw
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

Lol, been in the game a long time and been down that road before, I'd rehome him if I thought both parties involved would benefit, can't see any sides benefiting too easy from this, and I could do with one less to be honest... 

Just having a laugh mate, you do what’s right for yourselves and the dog. The dog looks in great nick and obviously has a great bond with you. Good luck with whatever way you choose. 

• Thanks 1