Football Thread 20-21 Season 😁

22 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Yep , but that attracts a niche level of sportsmanship . The premier league and champions league ruined football Perse as it made it basically a closed club for those rich enough to gain permanent entry . Look at Leeds , how that whole structure was built around entry to the c l . When that was denied , it brought the whole system there down like a deck of cards , money at inflated rates beyond the means of regular unfashionable clubs and condemned them to a decade in the wilderness. 

football is a terrible business model for anyone , your relying on heavy weighted investment in the realms of fantasy money but the end product is reliant on an entirely human entity where it can’t be fixed instantly or new people brought in overnight. That type of investment , as you said , has been pushed beyond the likes of local boy done good owners. It’s the home of hedge fund managers and the obscenely rich . 

that’s the price though for the level of play these days , the speed , the strength required to play at the top  is frightening. It’s a short lived career of athleticism and aftercare and avoiding injury . Gone are the days of chopping scything tackles in a mud pit from centre half’s still half cut from the previous evening . It’s a more professional astute and physically reliant organisation. That all takes money , I think football is less exciting these days , it’s predictable and intense , pacier , more tactically pointed , but I do feel that  those 4 4 2 battles in the champions league , the euros and World Cup of the post millennium years were the greatest we saw . 

Football just ain’t the same as it once was 

Chopping scything tackles 🙂 reminds me of a story told by Steve Kindon at a sportsman's dinner. The 1st time that he played at Anfield as a young kid late '60s. The Burnley team bus pulled up outside to be greeted by the legend " Welcome to Anfield", he thought, "that's nice!"

Walking into the away changing room there was a mat on the floor with the words "welcome to Anfield" he thought "that's nice"

Running out of the tunnel were the words "welcome to Anfield" over the exit, he thought "that's nice"

Ref blew the whistle to start the game and he jogged up the wing with his eye on the ball yards away. Out of nowhere he got taken out and left in a heap on the ground. Tommy Smith (I think) leaned over and said "welcome to f***ing Anfield!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WILF

• Blackmag

• maxhardcore

• THE STIFFMEISTER

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Absolutely brilliant result....once again Southgate proves all us "experts " wrong good for him. Hand of God.....Lampards 2 foot over the line goal.....and its " tough shit " We get one iffy

Im just too delirious to write anything sensible at the moment. As old school West Ham fans i/we always resisted any temptation to fall into all that " we are a big club " talk......but some thin

Posted Images

There was a story in Jack Charlton's autobiography about a team turning up at Elland Road and as they got off the bus one of the Leeds officials handed one of the away team a folded up piece of paper saying it was a message from Norman Hunter. The paper was the evening menu at Leeds General Infirmary. 😂

• Haha 1
On 10/08/2022 at 09:12, chartpolski said:

I know mate, it's a terrible likeness !

But I'm a "glass half full" type of bloke, so I'm happy the statue is back where it belongs 👍

Let me know if you're up here in February for the game, and I'll have a drink with you in Shearers Bar !

Cheers.

Lovely i'll keep that in mind squire cheers :thumbs:

Just out of curiosity do you know what they're charging for a pint and a pie etc in St.James Park ?......some of the prices im hearing is just unbelievable my Arsenal pal told me today they're going to be charging £18 for a burger and chips 😳

On 10/08/2022 at 13:53, keepdiggin said:

Does anyone still wear their teams shirts? I always buy one when I’m going on holiday 

f****n right i do......only round the house or in the garden mind you.....although i do have a few bits of clobber with a cheeky little Hammers badge on ☺️

• Like 1
On 10/08/2022 at 17:12, baker boy said:

Think Ive mentioned this on here before, a mate of mine was out in Glasgow years ago with a blue football top on , ( not Rangers probably  Cardiff ) got a beating that put him in intensive care for a good while, some take it way too far

Horrible cuntish thing to do....kicking people up in the air because they have a different football shirt on,i despise c**ts like that !

• Like 3
On 10/08/2022 at 21:15, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Yep , but that attracts a niche level of sportsmanship . The premier league and champions league ruined football Perse as it made it basically a closed club for those rich enough to gain permanent entry . Look at Leeds , how that whole structure was built around entry to the c l . When that was denied , it brought the whole system there down like a deck of cards , money at inflated rates beyond the means of regular unfashionable clubs and condemned them to a decade in the wilderness. 

football is a terrible business model for anyone , your relying on heavy weighted investment in the realms of fantasy money but the end product is reliant on an entirely human entity where it can’t be fixed instantly or new people brought in overnight. That type of investment , as you said , has been pushed beyond the likes of local boy done good owners. It’s the home of hedge fund managers and the obscenely rich . 

that’s the price though for the level of play these days , the speed , the strength required to play at the top  is frightening. It’s a short lived career of athleticism and aftercare and avoiding injury . Gone are the days of chopping scything tackles in a mud pit from centre half’s still half cut from the previous evening . It’s a more professional astute and physically reliant organisation. That all takes money , I think football is less exciting these days , it’s predictable and intense , pacier , more tactically pointed , but I do feel that  those 4 4 2 battles in the champions league , the euros and World Cup of the post millennium years were the greatest we saw . 

Football just ain’t the same as it once was 

Decent post that......the most obvious thing our generation cant get its head around is at the very top level football has simply become a middle class sport now.....its not your working class " shall we go to the match tomorrow " occasion that it used to be.....for non regulars it takes precision advanced planning,your average 3 generation family outing of 2 lads,dad and grandad who are not season ticket holders are looking at a monkey once all the travelling/parking/food/drink is accounted for.....thats an aftenoon at the theatre !

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

Just out of curiosity do you know what they're charging for a pint and a pie etc in St.James Park ?......some of the prices im hearing is just unbelievable my Arsenal pal told me today they're going to be charging £18 for a burger and chips 😳

I've read on Sky Sports that the WHU owners are on the case. It seems to be the owners of the stadium who have set the prices. Anyway, what's all this burger and chips? I thought it would be pie and mash down there. 

8 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

£4:60 for a pint of larger, the new owners have just reduced the price, quite ironic as the owners are Saudis ! 😂👍 !

I haven't a clue how much food is.

Cheers.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Nicepix said:

I've read on Sky Sports that the WHU owners are on the case. It seems to be the owners of the stadium who have set the prices. Anyway, what's all this burger and chips? I thought it would be pie and mash down there. 

They,ll get it sorted as it was in the contract that the stadium could never do a mad extortionate price hike whenever they felt like it.....to be exact it was written in that they could never put the prices of any catering above whatever the average that the other top London clubs ( Spurs/Arsenal/Chelsea ) charge for the same thing......Spurs currently charge i think its £5.10 for a pint.

• Thanks 1

THIS IS NOT A DRILL!

Brentford 4 : 0  Manchester Utd. 

Barely half an hour gone!

Gary Neville says

“Shell-shocked, Erik ten Hag. 

"This is no surprise whatsoever. Erik ten Hag has picked the smallest team he could have possibly picked thinking he is going to outpass Brentford. But it is 5’9” Lisandro Martinez against Ben Mee. No chance.

“You have to deal with the physical aspect of the game in the Premier League and Manchester United are not doing it. I have to say, it is like a men’s team against under nines.

"They have been mauled, bullied, messed around with like you wouldn't believe."

Edited by Nicepix
  • Haha 2