Football Thread 20-21 Season 😁

2 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

That was pretty much what the chap i was nattering to was saying.....whether we like it or not footballers are emotionally delicate these days and a good coach/manager has to take that on board.....Pogba is a world class player,he just is.....so as a massive investment you somehow have to get the best from him whatever it takes.....i dont like that but its modern football i guess.

He got off on  the wrong foot as he was deployed as a holding midfielder due to some inept transfers that left Utd short in that position. Then he fell out with Mourinho and from there he's pretty much been an angry child. Back in his first spell at the club Fergi recognised that his ego needed massaging if they wanted to get the best out of him. 

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Im just too delirious to write anything sensible at the moment. As old school West Ham fans i/we always resisted any temptation to fall into all that " we are a big club " talk......but some thin

Absolutely brilliant result....once again Southgate proves all us "experts " wrong good for him. Hand of God.....Lampards 2 foot over the line goal.....and its " tough shit " We get one iffy

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

He got off on  the wrong foot as he was deployed as a holding midfielder due to some inept transfers that left Utd short in that position. Then he fell out with Mourinho and from there he's pretty much been an angry child. Back in his first spell at the club Fergi recognised that his ego needed massaging if they wanted to get the best out of him. 

Hence Fergie offloading him for 800 grand ! 

2 minutes ago, WILF said:

Hence Fergie offloading him for 800 grand ! 

Only because Pogba had not extended his contract and would have been able to leave on a free transfer. Then they bought him back for almost £90 Million so I don't know where you are boing with this. You probably don't either. 

3 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

Only because Pogba had not extended his contract and would have been able to leave on a free transfer. Then they bought him back for almost £90 Million so I don't know where you are boing with this. You probably don't either. 

There’s two reasons a manager talks a player up imho, one is because he is genuinely good and he wants the player to know he is valued and the other is when they want to offload a liability but still try and achieve some money.

I don’t believe for one second Fergie would offload a player he believed was going to be a decisive, game changing, championship winning, world class player for Manchester Utd……not in a million years.

He probably knew the lad was good but also knew his attitude stinks….and ability without attitude is a waste of time.

• Like 1

Pogba is an irritation. Nobody seems to know what his position is, including himself and Solkjaer. He has talent, but he seldom shows it for Utd. He's been agitating for a move since he arrived. I will be glad to see him go. He will join the army of players bought for top dollar at utd who are then sold for peanuts. Disastrous  recruitment over the years has led to utd being also rans.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, hawki said:

BREAKING: A Czech-based billionaire is within days of agreeing the purchase of a big stake in West Ham United that could lead to a full takeover.

I hope it’s Arkan ! Lol 😂 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, WILF said:

There’s two reasons a manager talks a player up imho, one is because he is genuinely good and he wants the player to know he is valued and the other is when they want to offload a liability but still try and achieve some money.

I don’t believe for one second Fergie would offload a player he believed was going to be a decisive, game changing, championship winning, world class player for Manchester Utd……not in a million years.

He probably knew the lad was good but also knew his attitude stinks….and ability without attitude is a waste of time.

Fergie didn't offload Pogba. If you take the trouble to read the story you will see that Pogba refused to extend his contract and so effectively chose to leave Utd. They got what they could for him under the circumstances. And yet, they chose to by him back for over 100 times what they sold him for. 

5 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

Fergie didn't offload Pogba. If you take the trouble to read the story you will see that Pogba refused to extend his contract and so effectively chose to leave Utd. They got what they could for him under the circumstances. And yet, they chose to by him back for over 100 times what they sold him for. 

Fair enough mate, I still don’t believe that the bloke who refused to leave Portugal after a game until he got 18 year old Ronaldos signature would let a player he really wanted and really valued just walk out of the academy if he thought that much of him……they gave Ben Foster £5k a week to be 4th choice keeper when he had been on £300 a week at his previous club ……..can’t see them letting the lad leave if he was as big as all the shit we hear talked about him, they would have just made an offer he wouldn’t refuse.

Im not buying it but that don’t mean you are wrong, you may be spot on……who knows.

10 hours ago, Nicepix said:

A lot of geniuses are in any walk of life. Gazza was another one.  It is up to the manager to get the best out of them. 

I understand that and it was a tongue in cheek comment. At the same time, where the talent of those kinds of players can be appreciated, liking or respecting them is a different matter.

Opposite ends of the "genius" spectrum, Joelinton who signed as a striker for us and cost £40M. Unfortunately he's no striker and no £40M worth of talent. But because of the almighty bollock someone dropped by signing him for that price he has started almost every match since he came to Newcastle. 

Yes he has struggled on the pitch. But at no time does his head go down or become a cry baby. He obviously does not try and get out of 1st team selection by working himself off the pitch or feigning injury, physical or mental. 

I have more respect and liking for Joelinton than I do for these petulant delicate soul "geniuses ". He just holds his head up and gets on with his job as I would expect any grown man to do in any walk of life.

Not his fault he's crap.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, WILF said:

Fair enough mate, I still don’t believe that the bloke who refused to leave Portugal after a game until he got 18 year old Ronaldos signature would let a player he really wanted and really valued just walk out of the academy if he thought that much of him……they gave Ben Foster £5k a week to be 4th choice keeper when he had been on £300 a week at his previous club ……..can’t see them letting the lad leave if he was as big as all the shit we hear talked about him, they would have just made an offer he wouldn’t refuse.

Im not buying it but that don’t mean you are wrong, you may be spot on……who knows.

Sometimes the biggest pay check a footballer can hope for is the signing on fee when he goes on a free or cheap transfer. At the time Juve were splashing out and Pogba saw the money he could make by not signing a contract extension. 

18 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

I understand that and it was a tongue in cheek comment. At the same time, where the talent of those kinds of players can be appreciated, liking or respecting them is a different matter.

Opposite ends of the "genius" spectrum, Joelinton who signed as a striker for us and cost £40M. Unfortunately he's no striker and no £40M worth of talent. But because of the almighty bollock someone dropped by signing him for that price he has started almost every match since he came to Newcastle. 

Yes he has struggled on the pitch. But at no time does his head go down or become a cry baby. He obviously does not try and get out of 1st team selection by working himself off the pitch or feigning injury, physical or mental. 

I have more respect and liking for Joelinton than I do for these petulant delicate soul "geniuses ". He just holds his head up and gets on with his job as I would expect any grown man to do in any walk of life.

Not his fault he's crap.

You are spot on. He is crap! 😂

But, he isn't the only one. West Ham have wasted a lot of money on promising strikers who did nothing for them. 

4 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

You are spot on. He is crap! 😂

But, he isn't the only one. West Ham have wasted a lot of money on promising strikers who did nothing for them. 

He's actually not totally crap. I think Bruce's hands were tied as how he could develop him or the position he was best suited to.

I hope he is given a chance under the new regime to bring the best out of him rather than just be disgarded and the money written off as a bad investment. 

An example of mental strength being an important quality in a footballer. Burbietoff (probably got the spelling wrong) being interviewed by Alan Shearer on his big money transfer to MUFC.

Basically B admitted he was struggling with it and felt under pressure. He assumed Shearer had experienced the same thing.

Shearer replied that he loved being the most expensive player in the world (when signed by NUFC) and loved having the opportunity to prove that he was the best.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

He's actually not totally crap. I think Bruce's hands were tied as how he could develop him or the position he was best suited to.

I hope he is given a chance under the new regime to bring the best out of him rather than just be disgarded and the money written off as a bad investment. 

An example of mental strength being an important quality in a footballer. Burbietoff (probably got the spelling wrong) being interviewed by Alan Shearer on his big money transfer to MUFC.

Basically B admitted he was struggling with it and felt under pressure. He assumed Shearer had experienced the same thing.

Shearer replied that he loved being the most expensive player in the world (when signed by NUFC) and loved having the opportunity to prove that he was the best.

Shearer could have  come to Utd but Fergie would not guarantee  him the job of chief penalty taker. That position was occupied by Cantona Fergie 2as reluctant to upset Cantona. The modern manager's job is very much about managing players' egos. Which is why we've got Sancho on the bench and golden boy Ronaldo playing every game and taking a strop when he doesn't start. I had major doubts about Ronaldo when he signed. He has eclipsed Bruno F and kept Sancho out of the side. He threw his dummy out of the pram when he was a boy under Fergie. Solksjaer cannot hope to properly manage him. Time for Ollie to go methinks and employ a manager unafraid to tackle superstar egos. Might be bloody, but it has to be done.