Football Thread 20-21 Season 😁

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Absolutely brilliant result....once again Southgate proves all us "experts " wrong good for him. Hand of God.....Lampards 2 foot over the line goal.....and its " tough shit " We get one iffy

So the food/drink shop is done,  The bar and barbie is ready.. The mates/family are going mad on WhatsApp groups in anticipation.. Few more hours and work is done...bank holiday weekend

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, sid g said:
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

EXCLUSIVE: The first adult football match with heading restrictions will take place on September 26 as researchers try to reduce the risk of dementia for...

There'll be no kicking soon, in case they stub their fckn toe

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, sid g said:
WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

EXCLUSIVE: The first adult football match with heading restrictions will take place on September 26 as researchers try to reduce the risk of dementia for...

The thing is that all these ex-pros who've suffered dementia were all heading leather casies with laces. The footballs of today are like the baloons we had at our fifth birthday party. Not the same thing at all. 

I used to live at Churwell, just up from Elland Rd. When we played football it was with one of those casies and after it had invariably been fished out of the beck that ran alongside the pitch it was like heading an bowling ball. If you were unfortunate enough to head the laces the mark was with you all week. 

I think there's a good arguement connecting concussions and dementia, but the ones at most risk are kids , heads are normally disproportionate to bodies at that age, with lack of neck muscles to protect spine and brain, and they rarely get taught how to header a ball correctly either. I don't follow football but unfortunately my boys have a bit of an addiction to playing, as for modern balls obviously they're better but they're also easier to punt and travel faster, so with that said I'd like to see you lads take one on the noggin at full tilt 🤣🤣

yip lost again, it was a good game but two up and beat four three  we have a very poor defense and i dont see it getting better till the january transfer window, but the managers system seems to be high press and everybody attacks. i take it the glee you show when celtic get beat that your gers man, i see their fans have smashed the lyon coach outside their hotel.

gettyimages-1234088451-612x612.jpg

Edited by big sid
3 hours ago, Nicepix said:

The thing is that all these ex-pros who've suffered dementia were all heading leather casies with laces. The footballs of today are like the baloons we had at our fifth birthday party. Not the same thing at all. 

I used to live at Churwell, just up from Elland Rd. When we played football it was with one of those casies and after it had invariably been fished out of the beck that ran alongside the pitch it was like heading an bowling ball. If you were unfortunate enough to head the laces the mark was with you all week. 

That's a fair point about the old leather mud saturated old leather casies. Reminds me  of an incident  from my childhood. As a kid I lived less than a mile from Old Trafford and  of course was an avid ManU supporter and still am. I had gathered all the Man U first and reserve team players autographs except two: Bobby Charlton and Albert Quixall who we had recently signed from Sheffield ? .It was just after the Munich disaster. Anyway as luck would have it both Charlton and Quixall together were emerging fron Old Trafford. I approached them and asked them for their signatures, Quixall  obliged without fuss, but Charlton launched a f****n casie at me and knocked me over with the force. It was meant as a bit of horse play but the f****r never gave me his autograph.I ve always felt he regarded me as a snotty, silver sleeved slum kid, which would a fair assessment. But f**k me I only wanted an autograph. I've resented 'Sir' Bobby ever since.🤣🤣. I've always preferred his brother Jack....much less of a firms man and less of an establishment man. I'll get over the injustice in time.😀😀

Dementia is the disease all us oldies dread above all others. Limiting headers in training, even with modern balloons, seems a proportionate precaution to me.

22 hours ago, jukel123 said:

That's a fair point about the old leather mud saturated old leather casies. Reminds me  of an incident  from my childhood. As a kid I lived less than a mile from Old Trafford and  of course was an avid ManU supporter and still am. I had gathered all the Man U first and reserve team players autographs except two: Bobby Charlton and Albert Quixall who we had recently signed from Sheffield ? .It was just after the Munich disaster. Anyway as luck would have it both Charlton and Quixall together were emerging fron Old Trafford. I approached them and asked them for their signatures, Quixall  obliged without fuss, but Charlton launched a f****n casie at me and knocked me over with the force. It was meant as a bit of horse play but the f****r never gave me his autograph.I ve always felt he regarded me as a snotty, silver sleeved slum kid, which would a fair assessment. But f**k me I only wanted an autograph. I've resented 'Sir' Bobby ever since.🤣🤣. I've always preferred his brother Jack....much less of a firms man and less of an establishment man. I'll get over the injustice in time.😀😀

Dementia is the disease all us oldies dread above all others. Limiting headers in training, even with modern balloons, seems a proportionate precaution to me.

Sorry mate….. say that again…….you lost me at “Man U supporter” ! Lol 😂 

• Haha 2
23 hours ago, big sid said:

yip lost again, it was a good game but two up and beat four three  we have a very poor defense and i dont see it getting better till the january transfer window, but the managers system seems to be high press and everybody attacks. i take it the glee you show when celtic get beat that your gers man, i see their fans have smashed the lyon coach outside their hotel.

gettyimages-1234088451-612x612.jpg

Why must anyone who takes the pi$$ about Celtic be a Rangers fan? Very polarised attitude. That and crowing about winning something back in Grandad's day reminds me of the late Maxhardcore. Other than the two horse races that is Scottish football what else have they actually won outside their own country?

24 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

Why must anyone who takes the pi$$ about Celtic be a Rangers fan? Very polarised attitude. That and crowing about winning something back in Grandad's day reminds me of the late Maxhardcore. Other than the two horse races that is Scottish football what else have they actually won outside their own country?

Er_ Celtic won the European Cup in 67. They did it with a team who were all born  within a 30 mile radius of Parkhead. That feat is widely believed to be the most impressive in UK football everyday. It was the first UK win in that competition. ManU won it the following year.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Er_ Celtic won the European Cup in 67. They did it with a team who were all born  within a 30 mile radius of Parkhead. That feat is widely believed to be the most impressive in UK football everyday. It was the first UK win in that competition. ManU won it the following year.

What I take from that is the 1967. Nothing else is relevant.

8 minutes ago, big sid said:

in that season celtic won every competition they entered all five of them, celtic also got the final again in 1970,

download (7).jpg

Jimmy Johnstone was up there with very best. A born dribbler and natural entertainer. Saw him play a few times against Rangers. What a piss taker he was. He would beat a man and then beat him again just for fun. Loved watching him. 

• Like 2