The Mighty Oak

3 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Any acorns on it mate.

I didn't actually take any notice! I was looking at the holes dug underneath the roots. Loads of fruit in the area, wish I had some bags with me. Sloes, sweet chestnuts even a few decent patches of blackberries! 

IMG_20211026_142052.jpg

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found this tree on my travels one time down Bristol way. I was absolutely blown away by the sheer scale and beauty of it and it ranks up there if not above with any animal I've seen for just being in

Yeah I have an Oak at the top of the garden, the acorns fall and up little Oak's come every where.  I'm very fond of the Oak tree myself and read an interesting book about them. I wanted to put a

Its taken 18 years mate. I don't know if any body is interested this was the mound when I cleared in and planted the tree. This is the other side. 2010 Phone shot

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Walked past this today. The photos don't do it justice how wide it was 

IMG_20211026_153015.jpg

...some were old when (with some style )the Bard described this sceptre isle 

A few so ancient ,here they stood ,when Normans spilt the Saxon blood ...

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Stockpot said:

I marvel at big old trees like this. If I pass one I have to run my hand over it, form a bit of a connection. Can't help wonder at what a big old tree like that has seen through its lifetime. Generations of humans, changing seasons, changing climate, battles, different farming practices, who knows?

I dare say that tree has concealed a footpad or three

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, staffs riffraff said:

Bad year for berries round me seem to have been few before ready to pick then just disappeared before they were edible 

Same around me mate worst year I have ever known for blackberries as well as their being no acorns or beech mast and the sweet chestnuts seem poor those I have found. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, staffs riffraff said:

Bad year for berries round me seem to have been few before ready to pick then just disappeared before they were edible 

Think a warm wet winter could be on the cards mate as all the berry’s seem well down this year the hedges are normally red with hawthorn at this time of year but there is very little about, hawthorn is known as the bread and butter bush, as its bread and butter for many species when all the other berry’s are gone, ? 

• Like 2