The Mighty Oak

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found this tree on my travels one time down Bristol way. I was absolutely blown away by the sheer scale and beauty of it and it ranks up there if not above with any animal I've seen for just being in

Yeah I have an Oak at the top of the garden, the acorns fall and up little Oak's come every where.  I'm very fond of the Oak tree myself and read an interesting book about them. I wanted to put a

Its taken 18 years mate. I don't know if any body is interested this was the mound when I cleared in and planted the tree. This is the other side. 2010 Phone shot

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

I'm not having that

Well it's a fact so don't know what to say?

The cormorants moved inland after stocks of sea fish were depleted, they hammer local fish populations then move on, I knew somewere with 2000 cormorants at one time each eating around 2lb of fish a day, nowhere except the sea can take that kind of hammering. Worse than what they eat us they just kill indiscriminately I've been fish were cormorants are working a shoal and bream after bream in the 4-6lb bracket drifted in, in their death throes with big gouges out there sides. Sad to sea and like always over here your not allowed to control them hence they get out of hand.

Edited by JDHUNTING
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
23 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

Any body else in your area have a zero acorn crop this year trees that were heaving with acorns last year are devoid of any acorns this year. 

All the trees seem very lean round me, blackberry's, sloes, the lot piss poor year don’t no if it’s just regional or across the country ,??

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Greyman said:

All the trees seem very lean round me, blackberry's, sloes, the lot piss poor year don’t no if it’s just regional or across the country ,??

The horse chestnut trees in the local park are full of conkers it's also been poor for blackberries around my way this year. 

2 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Any body else in your area have a zero acorn crop this year trees that were heaving with acorns last year are devoid of any acorns this year. 

Have to say my garden this time of year is a nightmare with acorns but there's not that many but the ones there are have been gall wasped. 

4 hours ago, Greyman said:

We had loads of plums mate, but the apples and pears are much less than previous years..

Sloes were out early and gone, nothing by end of August

• 1 month later...