The Mighty Oak

I was all set to plant an oak or two when i moved here. Then i realised tiny oaks were growing almost everywhere.

Thanks to a local Jay population, these birds are prolific acorn stashers and a few of them will 'plant' hundreds if not thousands of acorns a year. Keep a local jay population and watch those oak trees grow, fecking everywhere..!!

So as its all good round here for the mighty oak, i'm still planting fruit and nut trees and bushes, in quiet corners all around my village, for future generations.

Need some more walnut and mulberry, or any old variety stuff if anyone can point me in a cheap direction? ?

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found this tree on my travels one time down Bristol way. I was absolutely blown away by the sheer scale and beauty of it and it ranks up there if not above with any animal I've seen for just being in

Yeah I have an Oak at the top of the garden, the acorns fall and up little Oak's come every where.  I'm very fond of the Oak tree myself and read an interesting book about them. I wanted to put a

Its taken 18 years mate. I don't know if any body is interested this was the mound when I cleared in and planted the tree. This is the other side. 2010 Phone shot

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

I was all set to plant an oak or two when i moved here. Then i realised tiny oaks were growing almost everywhere.

Thanks to a local Jay population, these birds are prolific acorn stashers and a few of them will 'plant' hundreds if not thousands of acorns a year. Keep a local jay population and watch those oak trees grow, fecking everywhere..!!

So as its all good round here for the mighty oak, i'm still planting fruit and nut trees and bushes, in quiet corners all around my village, for future generations.

Need some more walnut and mulberry, or any old variety stuff if anyone can point me in a cheap direction? ?

I will try and get you some walnuts this year if you want. Put them in the fridge for a while them plant them PM  me if intresteded. 

Chrees Arry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some may have seen these pics before and some may also know i lived a hippy travelling life for nigh on 20 years,well a old travelling pal died and i wasn't going to let a bunch of strangers take him on his last journey so i collected him from the under takers and a few of us had a beer and a doobie one last time with him.I lined my truck out with Oak branches from the tree in my garden (see my previous post) along with other plants from the lanes and droves (where we used to live,told you i was a old hippy :victory:) and he'd have liked his bed being down from one of the biggest Oaks England ever had.

IMG_20180903_115727753.jpg

IMG_20180903_115839498_HDR.jpg

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Tell me what you want in autumn mate and if I can't acquire it I'll get it cheap. Walnut don't do well up here though apparently thats why we don't have them. Juglans regia is the Latin name I think.

20 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

What’s craic with acorns? Can he just stick them in some big bucket pots an grow em till big enough to plant out? Gonna grab some an let’s plant em, some big ole oaks about here I’ll grab some off ?

Plant them in some small pots, I'm working on a few acres of woodland and there's oaks sprouting up about the place the acorns are only surface deep

52 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Tell me what you want in autumn mate and if I can't acquire it I'll get it cheap. Walnut don't do well up here though apparently thats why we don't have them. Juglans regia is the Latin name I think.

Lovely grain to the wood of the walnut tree, I remember reading Regia translates to fit for a king

9 hours ago, fireman said:

Some may have seen these pics before and some may also know i lived a hippy travelling life for nigh on 20 years,well a old travelling pal died and i wasn't going to let a bunch of strangers take him on his last journey so i collected him from the under takers and a few of us had a beer and a doobie one last time with him.I lined my truck out with Oak branches from the tree in my garden (see my previous post) along with other plants from the lanes and droves (where we used to live,told you i was a old hippy :victory:) and he'd have liked his bed being down from one of the biggest Oaks England ever had.

IMG_20180903_115727753.jpg

IMG_20180903_115839498_HDR.jpg

I like that fireman....and its something I have told my mrs to organise when Ken comes knocking ...I would much prefer my mates collecting me boxing me up and putting me in the ground at the top of the hill above the village....looking over the vally..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

DSC_0491.JPG.5e49693b96cdb05b5a9da5647c644b0b.JPG

Before.. ? 

I remember watching on the news a few year back about a tree in wales ..it stood alone on top of a little hill ...it wasn't an oak I don't think ...that blew over and all the locals were very upset ....think lots of them had proposed to the mrs there .....

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, TOMO said:

I like that fireman....and its something I have told my mrs to organise when Ken comes knocking ...I would much prefer my mates collecting me boxing me up and putting me in the ground at the top of the hill above the village....looking over the vally..

A hurse costs around £800 to hire just to carry the coffin and it's full of strangers,i told the undertakers what i was going to pick him up and take him to the crem.They didn't like it but tough,we were late for the funeral and the under taker wasn't smiling much but we all thought it well fecking funny and so would have Dave who was in the box,..:laugh:

• Haha 1

for the last couple of years I have meaning to put a pic up of a tree I go past on me dog walk....I think its an ash...

its incredible whats happened to it and its still growing....I will get a pic later today and put it on for you lot...

• Like 2