Lamp filters

Last year I was lamping without a filter  I was hoping to go out this week and try out the red filter that came with the lamp  just wanted to know if it is best to spot the rabbits with the red light then slip the dog then switch to white light  or just keep the filter on and run the rabbit on the red light  

It's best to start by switching to white light to run the dog. If the dog is one of those that realise they can still see a bit in the red you can start to switch for appropriate short runs, especially on squatters. To begin it needs patience as it's hard to tell if the dog can really see the rabbit. (He can smell it)

I find juggling lamp, filter and slip awkward so mostly don't use a filter. Has anyone a good hinge system for the filter?

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 3

I went out Sunday night even though it was less than perfect conditions and gave the filter a go but like you two have said it ended up more hassle than it was worth so it went back in the bag after about half an hour 

10 hours ago, Jay w said:

I went out Sunday night even though it was less than perfect conditions and gave the filter a go but like you two have said it ended up more hassle than it was worth so it went back in the bag after about half an hour 

I've seen lamps with the filter hinged to the front and I reckon if a filter's needed that'd be the way to go.

On 06/09/2020 at 08:02, Maximus Ferret said:

It's best to start by switching to white light to run the dog. If the dog is one of those that realise they can still see a bit in the red you can start to switch for appropriate short runs, especially on squatters. To begin it needs patience as it's hard to tell if the dog can really see the rabbit. (He can smell it)

I find juggling lamp, filter and slip awkward so mostly don't use a filter. Has anyone a good hinge system for the filter?

The Clulite Lazer/Blazer has a half decent hinge system but the Lightforce ones are a real faff, I cut two lugs off mine to make it easier to remove but tbh I haven't used it for ages, too much hassle.

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
On 08/09/2020 at 20:18, dytkos said:

The Clulite Lazer/Blazer has a half decent hinge system but the Lightforce ones are a real faff, I cut two lugs off mine to make it easier to remove but tbh I haven't used it for ages, too much hassle.

Cheers, D.

Yep that’s what I’ve done to mine took a couple of the lugs off and slips on and off quite well most of the time apart from when you ready for a run straight after another and your making that much noise trying to get it back on you just know you’ve fecked the next run up . I mainly don’t bother with filter though as I’ve got thermal aswel. Lamps only on when needed. 

• Like 3