Harris Hawks / Young vs Old

Keebsunited

Hi all, after 40 years of waiting, numerous Falconry courses etc, I am soon (at last) going to have the time needed to dedicate to keeping my first Harris Hawk and hunting (aka retirement). Fortunately here in there are some great rabbit hunting grounds including near where I live. My neighbours will love me as rabbits are everywhere and regarded as a serious pest!

Whilst searching to purchase a Harris Hawk, here there seems to be many people who unfortunately ("for personal reasons" mainly) are selling older already trained birds, 3 yrs old, 4 yrs old for example. I realise that ideally an 8 week Harris, parent raised, untouched by humans is best. But I can't seem to find any information or videos about taking over the 'partnership role' with an older bird and whether it's a good/bad idea. 

Most hawks need a little manning and hunting refreshment even after the moulting months, so I am thinkng that perhaps with an older bird, it would soon 'partner' with me OK, or would the previous owner be too ingrained?

Any advice or experience or partnering with an older hawk would be gratefully received. 

I wouldn’t get one at 8wks old mate for it to end up screaming,I would want it at about 26 was so I know it is full depended feeding it’s self I know a lad who has some chicks now at Durham still in with the parents if you are interested mate.I can’t remember how old they are but I can find out and give you his number if needed.

• Like 1
On 03/09/2020 at 21:33, Keebsunited said:

Hi all, after 40 years of waiting, numerous Falconry courses etc, I am soon (at last) going to have the time needed to dedicate to keeping my first Harris Hawk and hunting (aka retirement). Fortunately here in there are some great rabbit hunting grounds including near where I live. My neighbours will love me as rabbits are everywhere and regarded as a serious pest!

Whilst searching to purchase a Harris Hawk, here there seems to be many people who unfortunately ("for personal reasons" mainly) are selling older already trained birds, 3 yrs old, 4 yrs old for example. I realise that ideally an 8 week Harris, parent raised, untouched by humans is best. But I can't seem to find any information or videos about taking over the 'partnership role' with an older bird and whether it's a good/bad idea. 

Most hawks need a little manning and hunting refreshment even after the moulting months, so I am thinkng that perhaps with an older bird, it would soon 'partner' with me OK, or would the previous owner be too ingrained?

Any advice or experience or partnering with an older hawk would be gratefully received. 

Hi there

I would never buy a secondhand hawk mate.

Sometimes you can get lucky and buy a decent hawk, but usually there is a good reason for selling it. Some of the issues can be screaming, aggression etc. etc.

A lot of problems can be fairly easily overcome, but why bother. Usually you can pick up a fresh young hawk for the same price as the secondhand hawk, but without the baggage.

Harris' hawks train easily and fairly quickly and you would get a greater sense of achievement from bringing on your own hawk.

Just my two pence LOL 

• Like 2
On 03/09/2020 at 21:33, Keebsunited said:

Wouldn’t touch a 8week old Harris get it around 20 weeks 

• Like 2
On 06/09/2020 at 09:41, wildman said:

The bird is not really bothered about you or its previous owner ,best part about falconry , for me anyway , is training a young  bird ,watching it make its first kill knowing that you had a part in that .good luck pal !

? thanks, your comment will definitely be taken into consideration.

On 06/09/2020 at 09:48, lurchers said:

I wouldn’t get one at 8wks old mate for it to end up screaming,I would want it at about 26 was so I know it is full depended feeding it’s self I know a lad who has some chicks now at Durham still in with the parents if you are interested mate.I can’t remember how old they are but I can find out and give you his number if needed.

Excellent. And thanks for your follow-up post. Just been speaking with a retired guy very local to me with over 40 years falconry experience. He's agreed to act as my Sponsor/Mentor and has access to young birds, so I'll be guided by his advice. But huge thanks for your help!

• Like 1
On 06/09/2020 at 15:15, j j m said:

always nice to train your own harris,but ive also had some nice second hand birds where people have just give up the sport,either way good luck mate

Good to know! I've warned the wife that reaching my lifetime goal of having a Harris, may turn into my having several!!! It'd be good to be able to take in unwanted birds and I have plenty of land to do it ? I'll start with one, but I can see myself getting hooked quite quickly! 

• Like 1

as lads on here will tell you ive bred them all over the years spars kestrels red tails harris the list goes on,its addictive put a great sport to get in to i wish you all the luck,have you got a good mews built yet mate

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Keebsunited said:

Excellent. And thanks for your follow-up post. Just been speaking with a retired guy very local to me with over 40 years falconry experience. He's agreed to act as my Sponsor/Mentor and has access to young birds, so I'll be guided by his advice. But huge thanks for your help!

That’s the best thing you can do mate good on the old boy for mentoring you,you will have loads of fun and enjoy the sport.

• Like 1