• 2 weeks later...

I’ve kept Japanese Quail for eggs and eaten a few of the birds too. Eggs were really tasty and the birds eat so little compared to chickens so yes they are efficient. I kept mine in a small broody house with a run on grass, they’re a bit crap at using the nestbox so eggs are laid wherever they feel the urge that day. Also everything I read said they have a poor homing instinct so if you let them free-range during the day they will just f*ck off into the hedgerow for the night.  I only ever killed two at a time so dry-plucked which felt slow and a lot of work for a tiny amount of meat. Killing a large number at a time and wet-plucking might be more efficient. 

Kept the same, they did produce a lot of eggs. The wife used them in salads. I killed a couple and they tasted superb , one of the best meat I’ve eaten. I found if you  can get them to a week old they do very well but like all game birds their only mission I life is to commit suicide.

I had jap quail for short time they are quick ,escape artists , mean sex mad birds 

you need lot of hens to cock ratio and they are aggressive towards each over and once one showed a weakness or injury they would turn in it , also to get best out of them I had to have lot of different feed In, 

I had greens , birdseed and chick crumb and Bantam layers pellets .

to much work I felt never ate any so can’t comment .

tbh I prefer seramas ?

but don’t keep any animals now.

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/09/2020 at 22:10, forest of dean redneck said:

I had jap quail for short time they are quick ,escape artists , mean sex mad birds 

you need lot of hens to cock ratio and they are aggressive towards each over and once one showed a weakness or injury they would turn in it , also to get best out of them I had to have lot of different feed In, 

I had greens , birdseed and chick crumb and Bantam layers pellets .

to much work I felt never ate any so can’t comment .

tbh I prefer seramas ?

but don’t keep any animals now.

Why don't you keep animals no more dean?