my hunting season 2020/21

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mates son dropped this elk on opening day of archery season,15 yard shot. piebald whitetail doe was spotted just up the road from me

Right then 3 buddies needed me as a caller and guide of the area. 3 of them had bull tags and one mate has been waiting 14yrs to get drawn. first day went Pete tong. second day we

Didn’t miss this fckr   so I missed one at 2pm, tried a neck shot at 200yds and missed. Pretty gutted, the herd ran into the bush. 3 bulls 12 cows 1 calf. so I bedded back down in my fi

Posted Images

On 22/11/2020 at 02:05, Ted Newgent said:

Deer down

sat with me mate for 4hrs in the blind. We had to snowmobile across the fields.

we were chatting away as we haven’t seen each other for a month, I looked up and there is this young buck just wrecking the willows with his rack. Neck shot 100 yards folded him.

I will dig the round out tomorrow.

i shot a similar buck a fair few years back with a similar rack. So the genetics are still around

15F34E49-62C2-4F34-B24A-3E7B3F4B202E.jpeg

343C1944-2614-478E-AA41-86B1AB48F5E1.jpeg

Do you not hang them Ted ? ..if I was having that as an eater I’d have him in the chiller , jacket on for at least ten days ....

Just now, sussex said:

Do you not hang them Ted ? ..if I was having that as an eater I’d have him in the chiller , jacket on for at least ten days ....

Hung for 10 hrs, it’s was nearly frozen as my garage temp was -16c

i don’t have a cooler and the butchers get really pissy if you ask just to hang it.

I only kept the leg roast and back straps 

every other scrap of meat off that is going for sausage mate

1 hour ago, Ted Newgent said:

Hung for 10 hrs, it’s was nearly frozen as my garage temp was -16c

i don’t have a cooler and the butchers get really pissy if you ask just to hang it.

I only kept the leg roast and back straps 

every other scrap of meat off that is going for sausage mate

We are building chillers to keep them , you need a warm room? ..This was mine , cost me about £400 to build , saved me having to run them in straight away , especially early season , It held ten 

B930B98B-3E5D-40FA-B3C2-CB99BF449B8F.jpeg.b09ebeffc29d68dcbe0b847ae627e551.jpeg

Which made it worth his while collecting ..

• Like 1
1 minute ago, sussex said:

We are building chillers to keep them , you need a warm room?..

ten at a time it was worth him collecting .

I need to get my garage insulated and heated so I can hang my game. I know it doesn’t make sense ?

I would love a chiller room or a Pepsi/coke chiller in my cut room but they are extortionate over here

32 minutes ago, Ted Newgent said:

I need to get my garage insulated and heated so I can hang my game. I know it doesn’t make sense ?

I would love a chiller room or a Pepsi/coke chiller in my cut room but they are extortionate over here

I had one years ago Pepsi / drink chiller which was ok for the occasional roe or fallow doe for home use but once I started knocking over serious amounts , and I’d bought a place that had room for a workshop , building the chiller into it was a no brainier .What also spurned me on was a farmer that I’d started doing his vermin and deer for had a huge chiller in bits ,stacked in one of his barns , old as the hills , asbestos sheet lined every section weighed a ton and was never ever going to be used again i managed to blag the door and frame off him and built the rest out of 4x2 with 100 mm celotex ,plastic sheet lined ,  took a chance on a second hand fridge unit that a pal gassed up and it was up and running .Saved me a fortune over the years and venison I kept for home was fabulous , you could cut it with a spoon (but knives made it quicker) .50C27903-5689-4F7C-AE9A-61292BAF3B45.jpeg.33ed88add99706eb0c502b1d6d670f43.jpeg77630C77-7E2E-42D2-BB1E-A2C9FE80F7FD.jpeg.fe3fbef81c0fc1bcf7960214033a05ff.jpegA72D882A-51D7-4D58-9E6B-160FDC63D406.jpeg.b4cf253263499a21bc2b6ce5ce2cfb2e.jpeg

Did this one indoors as it was to cold in the workshop? ...we lived on venison ?

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, sussex said:

We are building chillers to keep them , you need a warm room? ..This was mine , cost me about £400 to build , saved me having to run them in straight away , especially early season , It held ten 

Which made it worth his while collecting ..

Question 

why do you leave the hide on?

isn’t it harder to skin after 10 days of hanging?

what’s the benefit to leaving the hide on?

Much harder to skin after coming out of the chiller but it stops the carcass from drying out , if you hung them out of the skin they would get a really tough dried out look and feel ..if you leave them with the jacket on you must make sure they go in the cold room dry , this stops the moisture build up that causes mould  ..I’ve had one in the cold room for six weeks not a bit of mould and perfect condition .I run my cold room at +1degC , people run them at 3or4degC but I prefer them lower .. 

• Thanks 1

So my game season is over

but I have some tannerite I haven’t used and a good friend has two beaver damns and house needs to be blown up ?

weather is good this weekend so off down their farm. I will vid it and post it up.

I did 6 hrs of driving today with work and barely seen owt in the fields apart from 2 coyotes. They will hopefully be my next quarry of the next 2 months all pending this bloody snow. I know I won’t be able to get where I would like to but going to be mooching about for them

• Haha 3
On 25/11/2020 at 03:17, Ted Newgent said:

So my game season is over

but I have some tannerite I haven’t used and a good friend has two beaver damns and house needs to be blown up ?

weather is good this weekend so off down their farm. I will vid it and post it up.

I did 6 hrs of driving today with work and barely seen owt in the fields apart from 2 coyotes. They will hopefully be my next quarry of the next 2 months all pending this bloody snow. I know I won’t be able to get where I would like to but going to be mooching about for them

So looking forward to the beaver evictions LOL. 

Can you run coyotes with lurchers over there Ted. 

Atb j 

2 hours ago, jetro said:

So looking forward to the beaver evictions LOL. 

Can you run coyotes with lurchers over there Ted. 

Atb j 

Yes and no

the province is divided up into rural municipalities (RMs) there is 775 of them

only 7 allow the use of dogs to hunt coyotes 

• Like 1