deerhound greyhoundx collie

5 hours ago, Shadow100 said:

They are dying out, it’s a shame that there’s not many people using them for the job they were bred for, to be honest there’s not a lot of people flat out at that job at all, a lot catch the odd bit here and there but not many people require a proper deer dog

Deerhounds were never deer killers though in the first place 

• Like 1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres a greyhound/deerhound(first x) cross collie/greyhound(first x) the photos in Bill Dohertys book its his mates dog looks mighty fine to me and a decent dog by all acount

A few deerhound greyhound collie greyhounds I've had over the years. All very capable catch dogs, the big dog in the top pic would take teeth no problem and work round the hole all day long. A litter

Morton is alway praising this x.... I'd personally want a drop of wheaton or bull instead of the collie if it was me?

Posted Images

5 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Deerhounds were never deer killers though in the first place 

Some deerhound hybrids have been used for that job though, to what extent I don’t really know I’ve seen a couple they were ok but didn’t make me want to own one, wouldn’t mind a bit of deer/grey in a line of saluki lurchers though, just finding a decent one. I’d rather have a deer/grey than some of the crosses I’ve heard people describe as good deer dogs though 

7 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Have you ever thought that maybe because of the way this generation is forced to hunt , that the use of the Subaru’s etc exposed the fact that deerhound greyhounds are f***ing shite in reality when exposed to hard regular work ? 

just a thought ? 

Judging from the emojis this granted tell me one thing that a deerhound grey can do Without fear of Injury or jacking ?? 

• Confused 1
41 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Judging from the emojis this granted tell me one thing that a deerhound grey can do Without fear of Injury or jacking ?? 

Worst thing in the world an injury prone dog tbh, had them myself doesn’t matter how good they run it they’re laid up regularly they’re better off in a pet home

2 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

'confused' = I'd say folk "Subaru" because they want to and they aren't going to choose a deer X grey, the same as they aren't going to choose lots of other crosses..

Most folk that worked and bred DG/CG's and deerhound lurchers simply aren't on the scene anymore

• Like 1
16 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

It's a Shame there Arnt more  enthusiasts still keeping the Working Deerhound and their crosses Alive.

A member on here from Scotland had what if I remember was a first cross Bitch that was useful back in the day .

Charts keeps Deerhound blooded lurchers  and I'm sure their are plenty others that don't bother with the internet .

Hopefully anyways .

You're correct max, there are still some very good deer/greys and deer/collie/greys about. And like you say, their owners don't bother with the internet

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, shaaark said:

You're correct max, there are still some very good deer/greys and deer/collie/greys about. And like you say, their owners don't bother with the internet

I know lads who have had them for years and never bred a pup off them.When I asked why don’t you breed when you need another off ya own stuff there answer was (I can’t be done with village idiots)coming to my door and it’s cheaper to buy a pup than need a litter.And it’s right when you look at all the hassle then the muppets on the phone who some or most haven’t got a clue about the breed.But now they are struggling as a lot of the old lads can’t be bothered to breed a little now and chew on with getting them up because of the same reason.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, lurchers said:

I know lads who have had them for years and never bred a pup off them.When I asked why don’t you breed when you need another off ya own stuff there answer was (I can’t be done with village idiots)coming to my door and it’s cheaper to buy a pup than need a litter.And it’s right when you look at all the hassle then the muppets on the phone who some or most haven’t got a clue about the breed.But now they are struggling as a lot of the old lads can’t be bothered to breed a little now and chew on with getting them up because of the same reason.

Yeah similar thing I've found, plus the fact that a lot of the people that favour these types of lurcher, are now getting a bit past it lol, myself included ?

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, lurchers said:

Surely if their dogs were of such a high standard, they’d breed them and not buy in. If someone’s letting their own bitch lie in the kennel, and buying a pup from someone else I’d reckon the bitch can’t be all shes made out to be.

Edited by Shadow100
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Shadow100 said:

Surely if their dogs were of such a high standard, they’d breed them and not buy in. If someone’s letting their own bitch lie in the kennel, and buying a pup from someone else I’d reckon the bitch can’t be all shes made out to be.

I'd say that most people that own and work lurchers, can't be bothered with the hassle etc of breeding and rearing a litter

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I'd say that most people that own and work lurchers, can't be bothered with the hassle etc of breeding and rearing a litter

If you’re passionate about dogs why would you see it as such a hassle? It’s a bit of hard work if you do it properly but it shouldn’t feel like a chore from a good bitch, should be excited for the pups not moaning about cleaning up the shit or feeding them. 

Just now, Shadow100 said:

If you’re passionate about dogs why would you see it as such a hassle? It’s a bit of hard work if you do it properly but it shouldn’t feel like a chore from a good bitch, should be excited for the pups not moaning about cleaning up the shit or feeding them. 

I agree with you, but a lot of people just don't want the hassle. Maybe hassle is the wrong word, responsibility then ?