deerhound greyhoundx collie

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heres a greyhound/deerhound(first x) cross collie/greyhound(first x) the photos in Bill Dohertys book its his mates dog looks mighty fine to me and a decent dog by all acount

A few deerhound greyhound collie greyhounds I've had over the years. All very capable catch dogs, the big dog in the top pic would take teeth no problem and work round the hole all day long. A litter

Morton is alway praising this x.... I'd personally want a drop of wheaton or bull instead of the collie if it was me?

Posted Images

1 hour ago, my hounds said:

Heres a greyhound/deerhound(first x) cross collie/greyhound(first x) the photos in Bill Dohertys book its his mates dog looks mighty fine to me and a decent dog by all acount

Kevinsdog2.jpg

Still some cracking collie/grey x deer/greys about, catching all sorts of stuff regularly, as you know?

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 12:42, grompz said:

did you ever see this cross run, i appreciate they were good for rabbit and hare, if bred the right way,but preban days were they not up to taking deer and foxes. what was lacking in them.

Absolutely nothing in the right uns.They became popular when lurchers were at their zenith and the folk were about that actually knew how to fully utilise a decent lurcher.Its a breed now that is lost on the majority of the present generation.There is not the same standard of ownership now and the few decent souls will be hard pressed to source a decent lurcher of this type.The more popular breeds of lurchers bred now suit another time and generation.There are still lurcher to lurcher bred pups available with generations of graft behind them,id look for one of those and not get to hung up on wanting a specific type,source something that's bred to suit your hunting lifestyle,don,t follow fashion,stay away from the turds.

• Like 6
On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 13:33, tank34 said:

Seen Morton son dog big strong dog , Morton said on here he putting dog over this Wheaton greyhound bitch 

The only reason he,s putting it over the Wheaten is because he cannot source another decent Deerhoundy/Collie combo that's suitable.Id not take have a pup out of the Wheaten bitch,good for what my lads looking for as grafters,will certainly lack the pace and gears.

• Like 1
On 29/08/2020 at 18:42, morton said:

Absolutely nothing in the right uns.They became popular when lurchers were at their zenith and the folk were about that actually knew how to fully utilise a decent lurcher.Its a breed now that is lost on the majority of the present generation.There is not the same standard of ownership now and the few decent souls will be hard pressed to source a decent lurcher of this type.The more popular breeds of lurchers bred now suit another time and generation.There are still lurcher to lurcher bred pups available with generations of graft behind them,id look for one of those and not get to hung up on wanting a specific type,source something that's bred to suit your hunting lifestyle,don,t follow fashion,stay away from the turds.

?

On 29/08/2020 at 18:54, morton said:

The only reason he,s putting it over the Wheaten is because he cannot source another decent Deerhoundy/Collie combo that's suitable.Id not take have a pup out of the Wheaten bitch,good for what my lads looking for as grafters,will certainly lack the pace and gears.

Edited by shaaark
15 minutes ago, morton said:

Be handy mooching dogs an around a hole ?

• Like 1
Just now, tank34 said:

Be handy mooching dogs an around a hole ?

The Wheaten as one of the finest noses ive ever seen on a lurcher,her drive and determination is a thing to behold,she will scent,hunt and smash cover as well as any lurcher ive had the pleasure to witness,yet she lacks pace and a change of gear,to me that's possibly the biggest flaw in lurcher production.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Told you years ago that wheaten would add to the line but no you said you’d hold out for the perfect bitch, I know we don’t get on but I wish your lad all the very best with his future pups ?

The dog is far,far better than the bitch,if he put that dog over something bred the same way they would be far, far better than the progeny from the wheaten.If its a choice of producing something or nothing the wheaten comes into the equation.Id never breed for second best.No pups this time?.Its interesting that in his generation he had folk queueing up for a pup,because they had seen the dog at work,in my generation we would not have endorsed breeding from a bitch lacking pace and a gear shift.Cheers for the courtesy.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, my hounds said:

Kevinsdog2.jpg

That’s a cracking looking dog mate,nearly every deerhound x greyhound years ago up here was all of bill stuff.

7 hours ago, shaaark said:

Still some cracking collie/grey x deer/greys about, catching all sorts of stuff regularly, as you know?

8 hours ago, my hounds said:

Kevinsdog2.jpg

Thats a cracking looking juk mate

I owned a DH/Grey x Collie/grey in the 80's was half decent catch dog although it  lacked a bit of wind if truth be told. i often ran it with a saluki cross and they made a good paring. Alas it went wristy in the end.

Don't think there's any strain of working deerhound about now and the show stuff is pretty abysmal so if one of this breeding did well it would be in-spite of rather than because of the Deerhound. They are lookers though and there are plenty of decent workers about that have a bit of dodgy breeding in their background.

No photos but i did a painting back then titled legal quarry, was a different age.

pastel.jpg.167c5810f8436179e93bceddc54c6e87.jpg

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

It's a Shame there Arnt more  enthusiasts still keeping the Working Deerhound and their crosses Alive.

A member on here from Scotland had what if I remember was a first cross Bitch that was useful back in the day .

Charts keeps Deerhound blooded lurchers  and I'm sure their are plenty others that don't bother with the internet .

Hopefully anyways .

They are dying out, it’s a shame that there’s not many people using them for the job they were bred for, to be honest there’s not a lot of people flat out at that job at all, a lot catch the odd bit here and there but not many people require a proper deer dog

On 29/08/2020 at 18:42, morton said:

Have you ever thought that maybe because of the way this generation is forced to hunt , that the use of the Subaru’s etc exposed the fact that deerhound greyhounds are f***ing shite in reality when exposed to hard regular work ? 

just a thought ? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1