Hunting with the catapult

So this is new for me, for I have just recently moved to UK and I want to know how do most people who hunt with a catapult get permission to do so? Well... I know most people cut corners on that, but I genuinely want to find out if I could ask for permission to hunt using a catapult and that the land owner would understand that hunting with a catapult is a realistic way of taking small game. 

Think the whole point of a catapult is no body no,s your carrying and you can go shooting in a variety of situations and places completely un noticed that you could not use any other form of weapon, lastly as it is still considered a toy in the eyes of the law you don’t really need anybody’s permission to use it, there are miles of public footpaths you can walk legally with your catapult, ?

• Like 6

Usually when I go out with my catty and I mean just taking it from my home to a place I could shoot it I don't even keep the bands attached until I get to the place I could safely use it, this because I know that even though you are aloud to take it with you, you still have to have. A good reason for it, my story at the moment being target practice, there are a lot of nice woodland here where I live, so much small game rabbit, pigion etc, but I don't hunt any because I don't know where or who to talk to about permision! I will look more into this, but thank you for the answers! 

55 minutes ago, Sayosen said:

Usually when I go out with my catty and I mean just taking it from my home to a place I could shoot it I don't even keep the bands attached until I get to the place I could safely use it, this because I know that even though you are aloud to take it with you, you still have to have. A good reason for it, my story at the moment being target practice, there are a lot of nice woodland here where I live, so much small game rabbit, pigion etc, but I don't hunt any because I don't know where or who to talk to about permision! I will look more into this, but thank you for the answers! 

Not sure were you have come from but your obviously careful to follow the rules and FairPlay to you for that, but if it’s any consolation in 40years of using a catapult for shooting everything from pigeons in the city centre to squirrels in peoples gardens and pigeons off lamp posts I have never gotten in any trouble with a catapult, the law is very unclear on catapults and it is classed as a toy until you use it for something else, like shooting all the windows out of someone’s house you don’t like then it becomes an offensive weapon, a stick, hammer or screwdriver can also become offensive weapons if you go round walking and stabbing with them, but until you do you have not broke the law by owning them same as the catty ✌️✌️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always have a catty in my pocket and agree you can shoot them just about anywhere if you're careful. I took a pigeon that was feeding at the edge of a busy playing field (shooting away from the people I must add) while I was out with my son. Try doing that with an air rifle or shotgun....SWAT would be on you in minutes! When my son was just a baby, I always used to manage a shot or two while out walking with him, it's surprising how much game you can fit in the bottom of a pram?

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Mr Wilkes said:

Just lost two farms Jim due to them downsizing and spent the weekend looking for a bit of permo.... not a fecking chance round by me (leeds) , one lad has wrapped up 11 farm in the area. 

Bad day mr Wilkes sorry to here that ?

• Like 1